Travelling to france

bammolly

Hello,

I am new to this and would like to go to france with our Motorhome in January. I intend to do it on a shoestring so can anyone give me advice on the cheapest and best sites to stay also ferry crossings.

Thank you

Aires ,in case you don't know are specifically for motorhomes to park and service the van ie water toilet dump often electricity and rubbish disposal, they are provided by the local communities and are often free or a few Euros you can overnight on them too, often for up to a week or more, They are well signed and several publications are available to buy to enable you to find them, others I am sure will post more info for you on this. *-) *-)

The Aires mentioned above are not the Aires or Rest Areas along Autoroutes and N roads.

But:

Where are you going in France? Have you thought about the weather in January? Can be colder than here unless you go to the very far south.

French Municipal camp sites are another cheap option, they are run by local councils and are well placed, usually near all sporting facilities and local swimming pools. Ferries to France are the cheapest from Dover and run about every hour, Wild camping is tolerated in France too and its great to overnight on canals and in town squares etc.

Visit the website of Vicarious Books (www.vicarious.co.uk) as they sell lots of camp site books including 'All the Aires France' which will show you what dates Aires are open and will give you an idea of prices, they also give GPS co-ordinates which I am led to believe are very accurate. Additionally, you can order books from the Caravan Club (www.caravanclub.co.uk), you do not have to be a member. The Campers bible are the Caravan Europe Books. Also check out ACSI as they will also give you details of sites that are open all year. Finally, the French provide a great deal of Municipal Sites which are basic but good sites, usually in or very close to towns and villages so do not forget to use the Internet, you can check out camp sites for regions you may be travelling to. Enjoy (lol)

RoyH - 2009-07-02 9:04 PM

The Aires mentioned above are not the Aires or Rest Areas along Autoroutes and N roads.

But:

Where are you going in France? Have you thought about the weather in January? Can be colder than here unless you go to the very far s outh.

I didn't read your post properly, as you are planning to go in January Roy is right it will be cold, we went to Spain in January via France and it was minus twelve and a lot of snow, Aires were usable but water was either off or frozen, you won't find municipal sites open either then.I don't know what the far South of France will be like then ,but I'm sure it will be cold.

Guest JudgeMental
bammolly - 2009-07-02 8:26 PM

Hello,

I am new to this and would like to go to france with our Motorhome in January. I intend to do it on a shoestring so can anyone give me advice on the cheapest and best sites to stay also ferry crossings.

Thank you

Why January?

Hi,

The municiple site in Dinan appeared to be open, although out of season, so we thought we would drop in, say hullo to our friend Jean-Claude, the keepier.

Wrong! The site was full of showmen's vans. Sems to be a sensible way of earning money out of season.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived