automatic satellite systems

AOJ

New motorhome user:- Waiting delivery on a new Auto sleeper Symbol. I would welcome some advice or recommendations on buying and fitting a sat system, for use in the uk and northern/central europe

THe system we had fitted on our last motorhome and had transfered to the new one was an Oyster Satellite System. You just have to press a button and it does all the rest, none of this wiggling the dish around to get picture as the OH would end up loosing patience. We had ours fitted by Robert Jackson - Total Satellite Systems and can recommend that he does a good tidy job. This is his web site http://www.oystersatellite.com

derek500 - 2009-07-03 10:12 AM

I'm always intrigued why sometimes I see automatic satellite dishes going round and round in circles for ages, when I get a signal in a minute on my Maxview Crankup.

Probably someone will give you a proper and better answer, but from whatI can make out, when the dish goes up, it automatically goes to its last position, then realises that it isn't picking up a signal as you've moved, and therefore has to go back to the start and re-scan for the satellite signal.

It depends on how far afield you want to go.

If you never leave the UK then a dome or one of the smaller Oyster dishes will be fine. If you want to go to say Spain or Portugal or east of say Berlin then go for the larger Oyster (85cm) as the other dishes will be too small.

Also If you want to receive the more unusual satellites (Arabsat or Hispasat in Spain) then again the Oyster (85) is your best bet.

I've got a Maxview crankup on a vehicle roughly the same size as a Symbol (Autosleeper Duetto). Its works well and can find a satellite far quicker than the automatic systems when I use my Maplin free to air box. With a Sky box it takes longer because of the delay built in to these boxes.

Archived