DIESEL CHEAPER THAN PETROL

Clive

Guest Tracker
Supply and demand - hot weather - low demand for heating oil - just wait until it gets cold again and oil company greed takes hold again!

Diesel at Tesco in Stafford is the most expensive in town at 102.9 plitre. It is more expensive than Tesco Express about a mile and half away and ASDA even closer.

Supply and demand was given to me as the reason and when I mentioned ASDA I was told that they did not compare with other supermarkets.

Well I do!

Clive - 2009-07-03 10:24 AM

Noticed that at Asda in Eastleigh on 2.7.09 that Diesel was 100.9 and unleaded petrol was 101.9.

Is this trend spreading elsewhere?

Clive

Betws y Coed North Wales petrol 103.9, diesel 102.9. Noticed on the way home from Dover on Monday diesel cheaper at several loctions.

Bazza454 - 2009-07-03 2:21 PM

Looks like Tesco are also back on with their 5p per litre off if you spend £50.

This is true but,without spending £50 you are saving 2p per litre anyway at the other garages.

Reduction is therefore, by direct comparison, only 3p per litre if you spend £50 at Tesco

Guest peter
libby - 2009-07-05 6:46 AM

Travelling around Ireland recently Diesel was 10 euros less than petrol.

PS

We were stopped several times by customs relating to agricultural diesel, but not actualy sampled.

Bloody hell.......that's some expensive Petrol.

braunston - 2009-07-06 9:43 AM

Hi,

Has there been any price reductions or is it that they are all putting the price of Petrol up to meet the price of Diesel,

From my observations, the latter. Now why aren't I surprised? :-)

Regarding the Tesco offer. We tend to combine a fill-up with a visit to th supermarket which we would have made anyway. Sometimes that's Tesco and sometimes it's Morrisons. According to Whatgas our local Tesco & Morrisons have the same prices at the moment.

The amazing thing is that last week in Tesco we managed to spend over 50 quid. Usually when the offer is on we don't want a lot so end up spending only 20 or 30 quid (too little to buy anything to top up) and not getting the voucher :-)

Graham

braunston - 2009-07-06 1:11 PM

Hi,

Just out of interest is it true that ASDA sell all of their road fuel at the same price no matter where you are in the country,

Don't know, it's 100.9(Diesel) in Stafford

braunston - 2009-07-06 1:11 PM Hi, Just out of interest is it true that ASDA sell all of their road fuel at the same price no matter where you are in the country,

Yup, that's their policy.

All other supermarkets tend to have a "local" fuel policy where they claim to offer a competitive price within a 2 or 3 mile radius.

Certainly works here where we have 3 large Tescos and a large Asda, the Tesco stores are always the same retail as Asda plus the additional 5p per litre off (if you spend £50) is an additional bonus.  

Hi,

Has anyone found any supermarkets to beat ASDA's fuel prices, 2 near me match them but one of the same supermarkets just a few miles further away from here want 105 rather than the 100.9, that the others are price matching with ASDA.

Appears to me we should support ASDA as if they can do it why cant all of them rather than offer gimmicks.

Its 100.9 in Shoeburyness, Essex (Diesel)

braunston - 2009-07-06 6:45 PM

Hi,

Has anyone found any supermarkets to beat ASDA's fuel prices, 2 near me match them but one of the same supermarkets just a few miles further away from here want 105 rather than the 100.9, that the others are price matching with ASDA.

Appears to me we should support ASDA as if they can do it why cant all of them rather than offer gimmicks.

Its 100.9 in Shoeburyness, Essex (Diesel)

That's a tempting argument but doesn't really stack up for us I'm afraid.

Our nearest Asda fuel station is normally a couple of pence cheaper than Morrisons & Tesco. However, Asda is 3.4 miles away from us, Morrisons 2.6 and Tesco is 3.1. We use Morrisons & Tesco for other shopping but hardly ever that Asda as there is another one (without a fuel station) only a mile away.

The Morrisons card gives the equivalent of 1.5p per litre discount in the form of points which earn a voucher to be spent in store and Tesco fuel purchases earn clubcard points, both of which bring the price down nearer to the Asda one. The Tesco 5p off promotion is a bonus on top.

All in all, because we can usually cut our effective travel to more or less zero by combining filling up with other shopping visits, it would cost us more to use the Asda store.

On the other hand, I know my cousins, living in north Derbyshire, get annoyed.

The only supermarket fuel station they have is Tesco and there are only one or two other fuel stations within a couple of miles radius so competition is far lower. The price at their local Tesco is always several pence higher than the branch at Stalybridge, 5 or so miles away.

The Stalybridge branch has Asda and Morrisons stores fairly close by that it has to compete with. Not much help to my cousins though as going there would cost them more than they would save.

Graham

Clive - 2009-07-03 10:24 AM

Noticed that at Asda in Eastleigh on 2.7.09 that Diesel was 100.9 and unleaded petrol was 101.9.

Is this trend spreading elsewhere?

Clive

This is one of the reasons we have every Asda site in the Uk, selling fuel, (supplied by Asda) in our POI on the Tom Tom ;-)

Archived