polarity test

duetto owner

Guest Tracker

Fair enough Brian - I've never used a mains lead in any of these countries - only domestic plugs and extension leads in Spain - so I stand corrected as I wrongly though that maybe our European brothers had got their act together regarding electricity!

I have used 'em in Morocco and that was something completely different as there seem to be no rules at all in that country - and not many earth wires either!

We went to Scandinavia last year but never needed or bothered with the mains lead so I didn't even look at any mains hook up points or sockets - sorry Brian - had I known I would have looked - just for you!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derek Uzzell - 2009-07-06 9:29 AM

As far as I can see, anxiety about reverse polarity is a fixation only with UK caravanners/motorcaravanners, and the main reason for this is because they can easily and cheaply check for it!

The type of inexpensive domestic plug-in mains tester available to UK caravanners/motorcaravanners is (as far as I'm aware) not marketed outside this country. Our Continental cousins can't easily test for 'reversed' mains power supplies and, consequently, the issue of reverse polarity doesn't arise. Risk-wise, I've never read of anyone coming a cropper because of reverse polarity and I believe the real-world likelihood of anyone being harmed by to be minimal.

It would be interesting to see what the UK attitude to reverse polarity would be if a tester cost several hundred pounds rather than just a few quid.

yup

ray

Archived