Fiat/Peugeot vibration problems

GeoFran

I've read July's MMM "interchange" page 206 titled "X250 Update".

We purchased from Marquis a new Autosleeper Nuevo in June 2008 based on a Peugeot Boxer 333 L1 SWB van. Its a 2.2HDi 130ps diesel with a 6-speed manual gearbox. I have not felt this judder when reversing up a slope (I have just returned from a Brittany Ferry channel crossing and we had to reverse up the "cats" (boat) ramp in order to board on both the outward and return trips). Maybe I was slipping the clutch intermittantly (I cannot recall). Perhaps the slope was not steep enough!

My question is - the article keeps refering to the "new style Fiat/Peugeot X250 vans". I am not familiar with this model/type number. The van has just been serviced with a main Peugeot dealer and I asked him if he had been advised of the problem. He checked their Recalls from the manufacturer and said their were none for my chassis number. He also said "he knew nothing about this problem" (I think mine was the first motorhome they had serviced in a very long time!) "and as I was not reporting a problem, they had nothing to look at"!

Is my Boxer 333 known to suffer this reported problem and will it affect me once I'm out of warranty? In other words, am I facing a large future bill without being able to do something about it? The Marquis dealership say they know nothing about it and I should contact Peugeot! Full circle!!!!

We have a Auto-Sleepers Symbol ES, registered in Novemeber 2008 on a Peugeot Boxer 2.2 100bhp, 5 speed gearbox. We have done over 8500 miles and have not experienced any problems forwards or backwards.

It seems rather 'unfair' that Peugeot Boxers are being linked with the Fiat problem. We have spoken to other Boxer owners who have had no problems.

mel wood - 2009-07-04 5:11 PM

It seems rather 'unfair' that Peugeot Boxers are being linked with the Fiat problem. We have spoken to other Boxer owners who have had no problems.

As Peugeot have admitted to the problem on the 2.2 6 speed and have modded gearbox I would say it's perfectly fair.

I was aware that SOME Boxers had problems which Peugeot responded to positively whilst, I understand ,FIAT were still not responding as some customers wished. It is well documented in this forum and elsewhere that a number of people are still having major problems with FIAT after-sales and customer care departments.

I was trying to make the point that FIAT and Peugeot are two separate companies with slightly different vehicles and, it would appear, different attitudes to recognising problems, dealing with those problems and with customers. Therefore I still maintain that to talk of Fiat/Peugeot as though they were one and the same is unfair.

mel wood - 2009-07-04 6:28 PM

I was aware that SOME Boxers had problems which Peugeot responded to positively whilst, I understand ,FIAT were still not responding as some customers wished. It is well documented in this forum and elsewhere that a number of people are still having major problems with FIAT after-sales and customer care departments.

I was trying to make the point that FIAT and Peugeot are two separate companies with slightly different vehicles and, it would appear, different attitudes to recognising problems, dealing with those problems and with customers. Therefore I still maintain that to talk of Fiat/Peugeot as though they were one and the same is unfair.

They may be separate companies but, unfortunately, the new style (X/250)Peugeot Boxer and Fiat Ducato are both built in the same factory in Sevel and share many of the same parts - including bits of the drivetrain that are the subject of the problem i.e. an oversize reverse gear.

David

GeoFran - 2009-07-04 8:07 PM

Your picture looks very similar to the Peugeot - gulp!

Mine (Boxer 333 has a max weight (MTPLM) of 3300 kg and is 18'6" long

I should have spotted that you said 6 speed so yes it is something to 'investigate', the main thread http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14995&start=1 will be one to read, maybe read first page then go to last and work your way back to get 'latest' news.

I have only driven WVM(whitevanman) or PVC's(panelvanconversions), but my 'findings' are that I can reverse up a tarmac hill without judder, but the high gearing is a slight concern, but when reversing on a grassy slope in a campsite they inevitably judder.

Next we come to what you have been told by Marquis, I will asume this was after reading the article, if so then I'm afriad they are either completely ignorant of a major problem widely known about within the industry or lying to you, I know what my monies on! Maybe the people from Marquis that read this forum would like to comment on that?

mirage - 2009-07-04 10:43 PM

Marquis are fully aware of the problem of high reverse gearing in the X250 and whoever spoke to you is spinning you a yarn.

There now what a surprise, dealers spinning a yarn to sell some poor unsuspecting mug (in their opinion) a duff van.

Dave

Archived