british or foreign low profile motorhome for all year round use

garyteresa

Guest Tracker

Primarily juddering reverse gear issues with Fiat / Peugeot X250 based vans particularly on a gradient!

You might need to be a bit more specific about what base van or size or layout tempts you if you want specific opinions?

My own view is that anything based on an X250 is a no no for us and having seen the build quality and design 'features' of many new vans - particularly those from Swift and Autocruise - we are not impressed.

Foreign vans tend to have half dinettes, which are exceedingly uncomfortable for lounging, in order to get the fixed bed in.

If you want a fixed bed you don't have much choice unless you want a longer van but if you are happy to make the bed up each night - much less of a chore than it sounds with practise - you will gain so much more floor space for daytime use.

Sit on the loo, shut the door and see how much room there is inside. Is there enough room for you to wash and shave and shower?

Is there enough worktop available in the kitchen - unless you intend never to cook?

What about ground clearance - are there bits hanging down under the van that you will clout whenever you go over a speed bump or some rough ground?

I could go on - and on - and on - and on!

hi,

Im afraid its horses for courses with this question, it all depends on what YOU are looking for in a motorhome. It took me and my wife a long time to decide on the perfect, or as near to perfect, motorhome for us.

We ended up buying a Burstner t-star 710 (Mercedes based) with fixed rear bed.

I have to admit, the germans do build very good motorhomes and the Mercedes mechanics certainly was a must for us.

Its true that although fixed beds are great time savers when it comes to bedtime, in the daytime you do loose a portion of living space, but with swivel captains chairs the lounge area is ample for the two of us. The big advantage is the HUGE garage space that we have and a very generous payload.

Seperate shower unit was also on our shopping list I hope this helps but in reality its up to you to read reviews and go and look at motorhomes to find the one that suits YOU, and YOUR requirements. One thing is for sure, when you have made your decision the only thing left to do is enjoy your motorhoming as we all do.

Brian.

Garyteresa

Assuming that you are contemplating

a) buying a NEW low-profile motorhome

b) buying it in the UK in RHD form

c) wish to use it for extended periods in below freezing conditions with all its 'services' fully operative.

then you are unlikely to find a suitable vehicle for £36K.

From what appears to be your starting point, I would suggest buying a copy of "Go Motorhoming Europe" from Vicarious Books and reading that.  It will help you to focus on what you intend doing, and may need to do it.  Just go to http://tinyurl.com/klhh2h, you can buy on line.  It contains a wealth of highly useful information on most aspects of motorhoming, including choosing vans.

Judge, just looked at your link to vans, do the Company make the range that you are suggesting on Merc/Ford. If not, then a recommend on Fiat is surely NOT the way to go.

I note that you have Ford the same as me.

Happy motorhoming

Mike

Guest JudgeMental
mike 202 - 2009-07-05 2:38 PM

Judge, just looked at your link to vans, do the Company make the range that you are suggesting on Merc/Ford. If not, then a recommend on Fiat is surely NOT the way to go.

I note that you have Ford the same as me.

Happy motorhoming

Mike

My Ford is a hightop/fully winterised camper. The Terrestra is the nicest low profile fully winterised van I have seen......It is unfortunate that it is on a Fiat to be sure and it has stopped me getting one.

The new Renault is out soon, maybe some one will do something with that. The mercs tend to be a bit longer then I like.....Unless you stick with Ford and get a semi winterised van.

Your dilemma is there are not many low profile vans with a double floor.

Archived