Bikes in Garage - any ideas on stowing?

arthur49

Hi

After 20 years towing now owner of Adria Coral m/h, so excuse my ignorance of all isuues motorhome!

Garage has plenty of space for 2 bicycles. Does anyone have any knowledge/ideas of products/DIY solutions to carry these in garage safely so they don't move about or damage each other?

At the moment they are simply held tightly against the rear wall with bungees which is not ideal I think.

Arthur.................still learning

If you look at the Fiamma or Omni range of bike carriers, I think you will find purpose made variants for "garage" motorhomes.  However, they do seem to take up quite a bit of valuable space.  You may be able to buy just odd bits, like the bike holders and channels - which are sold separately for adding bikes to some racks, and improvise with some aly tube and brackets to achieve a more compact arrangement to suit your own bikes.

arthur49 - 2009-07-05 11:49 AM

Hi

After 20 years towing now owner of Adria Coral m/h, so excuse my ignorance of all isuues motorhome!

Garage has plenty of space for 2 bicycles. Does anyone have any knowledge/ideas of products/DIY solutions to carry these in garage safely so they don't move about or damage each other?

At the moment they are simply held tightly against the rear wall with bungees which is not ideal I think.

Arthur.................still learning

As brian says 'racks' in a garage can take up a lot of room, if you have adaquate bungees hooked on 'correctly' this should be ok apart from possibly a small amount of fretting together or against wall, maybe a small piece of padding where they touch? If there is not enough tiedowns then maybe look at adding some.

Guest JudgeMental
I just screwed and glued some pivoting hook plates on the back wall of garage and use bungees...These bike racks take up to much space IMO. Just cover with an old blanket or sleeping bag between the bikes.

JudgeMental - 2009-07-05 2:08 PM

I just screwed and glued some pivoting hook plates on the back wall of garage and use bungees...These bike racks take up to much space IMO. Just cover with an old blanket or sleeping bag between the bikes.

Tend to agree with the judge you are also adding weight if not needed

Dave

The Fiamma floor attached Garage Slide Pro, which allows you to load your bikes from outside and then just slide the lot into your garage, is only 11" wide. This is no wider a space taken up by two bikes stored back to back normally, however they are held in place. If you mean that the rack takes up space when the bikes are not carried then this is true, but by the same token not carrying the bikes frees up more space anyway.

Ron

Thank you for this Ron. I did look at this but I'm stuck with lack of clearance above. My wife's bike appears to have fixed height handlebars and merely raising onto rack means won't fit in. Need to establish if handlebars will lower.

Arthur............still learning

I got some fiamma garage bars these just screw to the inside of the garage walls with self tapping screws and have movable eyelets on them you can attach bungies etc we use these to secure fold up bikes chairs boxes etc etc and they work fine don’t encroach on to space in garage either

www.agentfiamma.co.uk

Arthur

If your wife's handlebars don't adjust you can always lower them via the handlbar stem itself. Although doing this might make the bars too low for her - most women like to sit high.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

In our motorhome we have a fixed rear garage but we have a 'lower' bed than normal (much easier to get in!). The pay off for this is that the bikes won't go in as they are, but as they have quick release front wheels so we just whip them off which takes the height down sufficiently for us to load them in (rear first) and secure them with large bungies to the rear wall to some straps I've fixed in using existing screws etc. One benefit of removing the wheels is that they then stand very firmly on the front forks which we place on some rubber car mats, we then just use a couple of small bungies to fasten the wheels to the side of the bikes.

Does your wife's bike have a quick release front wheel?

Unfortunately removing spacers only allowed a very small drop in handlebar height so we've opted for the removal of front wheels when travelling. They are quick release so its no great inconvenience

Arthur..........still learning

We have 2 bikes and each is secured with bungees, 1st bungee holds bike against back wall, 2nd bungee from same support securing BOTH bikes, I use pipe lagging (B&Q) slid onto each fork and/or other parts that may be touching both bikes, done this for the last 10 years and works perfectly.

I also place some foam, approx. 18" square between the back wheels of each bike, job done and no marks or scratches on bikes with a Piaggio 125 scooter along side including top box which is attached to carrier when scooter is in place and anchored down.

:-> :-> :->

I carry a 125 Yamaha motorcycle in my garage, I found I could just about get our 2 old mountain bikes in as well if I take the wheels off. I put a couple of the old camping mats over my motorbike & wedge various bits of equipment to stop things moving.

I did think about mounting something on the back wall to hold the bikes but in my case it would mean I couldn't get the bikes out without removing the motorcycle first which I can do now.

If you have plenty of spare space you could possibly either make or modify one of the many type of roof rack bike systems.

Archived