Romantic Route- Germany

The Romantic Strasse is very scenic we did it last year! the first part is dissapointing but stick with it we ended at Fussen which is really lovely. We also went to Lake Constance and the Black Forest.

The Romantic Route that is shown on Judge,s link is a different thing I think that route which we have just done we refered to as the Mosel Valley which we toured from Trier to Koblenz and from Koblenz to Bingen which followed the Rhyn :-D whichever you do you cant go wrong its all lovely.

This may be useful https://www.romantischestrasse.de/?lang=uk.

In addition, I've posted a TomTom Itinerary (North to South and South to North) which I created when we were going to go.  Hopefully we will soon.

The itinerary includes all the waypoints and you can start, finish and stop wherever you want enroute.

I've also posted a Microsoft AutoRoute 2007 version.

W2G

Romantic Road (N-S).axe

Romantic Road (S-N).axe

Romantic Road (N-S).itn

Romantic Road (S-N).itn

OK thanks for the explanation, we have followed the Rhine and the Mosselle for many ,many miles and it was very beautiful,lots and lots of Stellplatzs to stay on, Iv'e just never heard it called the Romantic route before,we actually wild camped right alongside the Lauralyisiren,seperated only by a narrow stretch of water on a disused quay,there was space for about eight vans at the time, lovely.

Guest JudgeMental

Link I posted is not the one I thought it was..........

I found a really good Internet site with routes you could click on etc....last year but its not coming up now :-|

This seems to be a popular route, we are doing Trier to Koblenz then down the Rhine into Switzerland starting Sept. Will also stop at Lake Garda then Monoco, St Tropez etc and finally down into Spain

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2009-07-06 9:33 AM

Link I posted is not the one I thought it was..........

I found a really good Internet site with routes you could click on etc....last year but its not coming up now :-|

still not it but a bit better....

http://www.romanticroad.com/

I think some are getting confused...

it is not the Mosel river it is further east in Bavaria, starting at Würzburg on the river Main.

derek500 - 2009-07-06 8:30 AM
peter - 2009-07-06 12:22 AM We're going there in August/September. So...thanks for the links it looks great. I can't wait.
Us as well!!

To you both

We've been every year for the last 10+ years.

If venturing all the way south, then some of the following towns/ cities may be worth a try.

Augsburg - great city with it's science museum and the birth of the diesel engine. Also has the "Frugerie" which is a walled city full of Alms houses, lots of history.

If going as far south as Fussen - King Ludwig's castles - then another palace to visit is located in Linderhof. Just a short journey away.

Amersee - south of Munich - is a very beautiful area. The super rich from Munich are seen here. Also paddle steamers ply back and forth across the lake. A visit to the monestary at Anders is worth a little detour. BUT do not have a beer, it's lethal & police are in waiting. Buy some and then drink it later when parked up. Lots of places to camp around the lake or you can wild camp in peace and quite near the lake side.

Titersee - the home of the cuckoo clocks in the Black Forest is also worth a visit / detour.

Hope this helps & you enjoy it as much as we have over the years. Can't get enough of the area ourselves.

After my posting, this thread will come to an end, but hope the info provided will help others.

Thai

I spent a week in the Black Forest in April this year with my family - a brilliant place. The roads are good and there are plenty of Stellplatz to stay at. I downloaded the Stellplatz POI's onto the TomTom and had no trouble finding sites.

One word of caution though! There are a lot of very long steep climbs up onto the Black Forest plateu (or should that be gateux?), and obviously an equal number of very long steep descents back down again. My MH is a 4 tonne Autotrail on a 2.3 litre Fiat Maxi chassis. It had no trouble going up the long climbs, but coming down was a different matter. There simply wasn't anywhere near enough engine braking to overcome the weight of the MH, and so it meant having to use the brakes a lot on the way down. More than once the brakes got seriously overheated given the length of the descents. Even rolling away in first gear the descents were steep enough that it would quickly over-rev the engine if the brakes weren't dabbed all the time. One of the hills we came down was a constant gradient that lasted 7 kilometers.

I'm just very glad that I didn't have to reverse back up again!!!

If you are going Aug to Sept You might like to take in:

1) Dusseldorf Messe - Motorhome show - last w/e in Aug to 1st in Sept.

2) Bernkastel Kues (Mosel) - Wine festival - 1st w/e in Sept. In our opinion best wine festival especially for music lovers and the parade on Sunday afternoon is well worth seeing.

3) Night of a Thousand Fireworks @ Oberwesel (Rhine) - middle of Sept - fireworks to music on Saturday night well worth seeing

4) Rhine in Flames @ St Goar / Goarshausen - 3rd w/e in Sept. Again fantastic firework display on Sat night.

When you get to Rothenburg Ob der Tauber - Visit Kathe Wolfart Christmas Shop. Don't bother with the local delicacy (pastry snowballs - yuk!)

Exact dates for the above see the germany-tourism web site where you can also input your interests and dates you are in a region and get an itinerary.

Guest JudgeMental
chris - 2009-07-07 7:45 AM

Will be in Germany in 2 weeks time so picking up tips from this thread. We cross Hook of Holland then may stay in Holland 2 or 3 days then move down slowly to constance. Can't wait

Chris

dont miss the Rhine falls then ...well worth a look and the boat trip out to them :-D

1596593392_rhinefalls.jpg.fed9d05d1d5a1c879e8db6c0f1cdc2e5.jpg

Lovely site on the banks of the Rhine just outside town of Boppard (2 mins from Autobahn). Easy cycle to town which is positioned right on banks of Rhine, lots of boat cruises depart from here, town beautiful, lots of Restaraunts and cafes and even a dedicated Christmas shop.

Guest Tracker

We too (or is that we two!) hope to follow the Rhine upstream in September for a few weeks - all other issues being equal - but we won't book a ferry until the week before we go.

Meanwhile this thread is helpful so thanks to all who contribute.

We have spent many happy holidays on the 'Romantic Road' over the years.

Rothenburg o.d.t. is special. There are two adjacent sites down below the town in the village of Detwang. The pub in that village, The Black lamb, does excellent meals.

Dinkelsbuhl, about 20 miles south of Rothenburg is also good.

Going south, Nordlingen is built entirely in a meteorite crater!

When you get to Fussen, there is a good, but very busy site on the lake at Forgansee, about 3 miles out of the town.

From Fussen there is a nice easy pass over into Austria - the Fernpass; comes down just west of Innsbruk.

Happy travelling!

Archived