Motorhome porches

4petedaniel

Hi I am looking for a porch for my Amythest autosleeper Camper having seen one fitted to a different make camper. look great for Windy/Rainy days. Does any one have any experiance or know where I can get one to fit? I should think that it would have to fit under the awning which is 245cm high.

I assume you mean one of the caravan type ones?

I have one and it's great BUT the first one I bought wouldn't clear the door on my Pilote so the important thing, from my experience, is to make sure that the roof doesn't slope down too steeply.

Incidentally I use the awning channel on my Omnistore to attach it without any problems.

Incidentally I use the awning channel on my Omnistore to attach it without any problems.

-----

Can you explain this sentence as I don't know what a awning channel is . I have the Fiamma 45 awning fitted. and I don@t think there is a channel

4petedaniel - 2009-07-07 8:01 AM Incidentally I use the awning channel on my Omnistore to attach it without any problems. ----- Can you explain this sentence as I don't know what a awning channel is . I have the Fiamma 45 awning fitted. and I don@t think there is a channel

If you look at the bottom front of the Fiamma you will see a 4mm channel where the optional privacy screen can be fitted.

To attach either a porch or drive away awning you will need to purchase a Kador strip and figure 8 channel. Kador strips are available 6mm to 6mm for use where there is a caravan type awning rail fitted, and 4mm to 6mm to attach to either a Fiamma or Omnistor, make sure you get the latter.

The 4mm bead of the Kador strip is attached to the Fiamma, the figure 8 is then attached to the Kador at one side and the awning at the other.

http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/shop_summary.html 

4petedaniel - 2009-07-07 8:01 AM

-----

Can you explain this sentence as I don't know what a awning channel is . I have the Fiamma 45 awning fitted. and I don@t think there is a channel

Both Omnistore and Fiamma awnings have a channel to attach a Safari room. On the Omnistore it's at the back and the Fiamma is at the front.

I can't speak for the Fiamma but on my Omnistore the porch awning just slides straight in without any need for adaptation. You only need the figure of 8 mentioned above to allow you to remove an awning to make it free standing.

We have a fiamma awning with the bit on it to thread an awning/porch, we are also looking for a porch like you can get for caravans, we are struggling with the height? The caravan awnings are too short. We have a Swift Kontiki.

We don't want a driveaway.......... any links would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The heights seem to vary. When I got mine there were a few on sale and I bought the highest one.

Also the angle of the roof is important. The first one I bought sloped down too much and fouled the van door. The current one has a shallower angle and the door just rubs it gently when opening.

Ralph - 2009-07-07 6:01 PM
4petedaniel - 2009-07-07 8:01 AM ----- Can you explain this sentence as I don't know what a awning channel is . I have the Fiamma 45 awning fitted. and I don@t think there is a channel
Both Omnistore and Fiamma awnings have a channel to attach a Safari room. On the Omnistore it's at the back and the Fiamma is at the front. I can't speak for the Fiamma but on my Omnistore the porch awning just slides straight in without any need for adaptation. You only need the figure of 8 mentioned above to allow you to remove an awning to make it free standing.

Good point Ralph and perhaps I should have elaborated.

You need to check the beading on the awning where it slides into the Fiamma/Omnistor channel, if it's 6mm (which most appear to be) you will need the Kador and figure 8 strip, if it's 4mm then it will slide direct into the channel.  

:-S Well now that we've thoroughly confused everyone I guess the moral is check before you buy.

I suspect that Fiamma and Omnistore may be different then as the standard awning (is it 6mm? I didn't know that) slides straight in. Perhaps Fiamma is smaller.

Every one mentions a slot on the Fiamma awning to take a extension But I am dammed if I can find one on mine . It is said to be in the front but except for the metal part that has the sun shade it is flush. could it possibly be that because of its age 11years old it may be different?

No it can't be that I have just looked at a 3 year old one and it is the same as mine.

SO WHERE IS THE SLOT?

On my Fiamma, the slot is on the beam (with the legs) that winds out.

It is located at about 8 o'clock when looking at the end of the beam from the front. and is a slit that runs the length of the beam. (the canvas sits about 2 o',clock.)

Hope you understand what I mean :$

Rgds

OK Found it I did not realise that you first had to crack open the awning to expose the slot. Now I need to find a drive away awning or do I go for a fixed as it is impossible to park the camper once you leave a site now days

except when visiting large super markets. Any one got any views on this subject?

4petedaniel - 2009-07-08 7:43 PM

Now I need to find a drive away awning or do I go for a fixed as it is impossible to park the camper once you leave a site now days

Depends on how you camp. I have both.

The fixed one is good for weekends (especially in wet weather) when I don't intend to move the van anyway.

The drive away one is for longer periods to allow the van to go out.

Although to be honest we haven't used the latter one for a long time now as we rarely stay in one place for more than a couple of days.

The other point to consider is that the fixed one will be a lot cheaper.

I have taken a look at the link

http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/shop_summary.html

Click on the Products menu

and taken a look at their website, A lot of useful canopies and awnings. So might be worth a look.

I will be ordering one of their Sunshade type canopies for use when travelling. (out of stock at the moment)

If we stay a couple of days we have a Harrison Motor Awning ( takes about 40 mins to put up) but is built like a circus tent and will stand up to a charge from a herd of elephants !!!. Downside is that it weights a ton !

Harrisons I think are no longer trading (did make caravan awnings) but there still some around if you want something sturdy. I have no experience of the lighter awnings or how long they take to errect.

Rgds

Hi Petedaniel, On a slightly different note but which may be of interest to you . I bought a SMALL driveaway awning for use as a bedroom when my daughter, and possibly one of her friends, come away with me. The awning is too small to put in front of the door but ideal as a double bedroom with space to store table and chairs etc. , and to place alongside the van immediately to the left of the habitation door.

Sadly I found that I struggled on my own to attach the awning to the van as I couldn[t work out how to reach the material and thread it into the slot. So I just secured it as a tent to the floor and wound the van awning out OVER THE TOP of the tent so to all who passed by it looked like it was attached to the van, plus the tent had extra protection should it have rained. When I wanted to go driveabout, I just drove off (after winding the awning in) and then parked up right close to it when I arrived back at the site.

Archived