Aire south of Calais?

Ralph

We stay on the large area on the left as you are leaving the port. Always plenty of motorhomes and caravans. Just as you are leaving the port area at the roundabout take the last exit before the entry back to the port. At least that is what I can remember, no doubt others will also explain.

Sooty.

Depends which way you are going. I use either the aire at Le Portel or the one at Arque - but it occurs to me that the Arque one will be no good as it is closed by a barrier which can only be opened when the adjacent campsite reception is open, and I doubt if it stays open all night. If you are going the Amien or Abbeville way, Le Portel is a good bet. It is quiet and free.

accès :

Rue des champs

Parking du stade de football

62 480 LE PORTEL

At the entry to the town, follow the signs to the Intermarché. As you enter the town the route to the aire is clearly signposted on the right. As the address indicates, it is by the football ground.

sooty10 - 2009-07-06 8:15 PM

We stay on the large area on the left as you are leaving the port. Always plenty of motorhomes and caravans. Just as you are leaving the port area at the roundabout take the last exit before the entry back to the port. At least that is what I can remember, no doubt others will also explain.

Sooty.

Just realised, you don't mean the one on the seafront.

Can you stop here at the ferry terminal? I didn't know that.

Yes you can stay on the port area. It is quieter and cheaper (free) than the aire on the other side of the port. We have stayed on the port a couple of times and always plenty of others there with us.

As I said earlier as you are leaving the port you will see all the motorhomes and caravans parked up over to your left. At the roundabout on the exit take the last exit and it takes you to the parking area. It will be easier than driving off and finding somewhere in the dark.

We are going over after Pickering and plan to stay there the first night.

Have fun Sooty

Hi i stayed here three weeks ago used a map printed of this forum if you do a search for overnight at calais you will see that "slim" posted a good map on 30/05/2007 i've just checked and its still there but i do not know how to do links

Paul

Thanks, found it.

I know this is a perennial question but the problem is that things change so it needs to be asked to find out the current situation. Apologies for doing the asking, yet again.

• 3 months later...
We always get a late crossing over, and an early morning crossing back, if its ferry or tunnel this is our regular stopping place, have never had or seen any problems, i think its safer here as the area around is patrolled with security men and big dogs.

Archived