Info on cycling/villages to see in the Dordogne

kevandali

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/themes/Helius/forums/images/spacer.gif
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/themes/Helius/forums/images/spacer.gif http://www.motorhomefacts.com/themes/Helius/forums/images/post_corner.gif
Hi everyone

I am taking the camper over to France on August 3rd and have a week to get down to Perpignan. I am hoping to visit the Dordogne area and use my bike and kayak as much as possible.

The idea is to make a note of any villages/places of interest on the way down, then re visit with the wife on the way back up from Perpignan.

I will be staying on Aires/wild camping on the way down but would like to know of any 'must see' villages that you adventurous lot have already been to and any good cycling areas that you can suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Kev

Guest JudgeMental

I know Martyn's site as we popped in for a look a few years ago whilst staying nearby outside Sarlat.

It looked fine to me and nearly as cheap as an Aire....... We will possibly give it a go in the future but our kids would find it too basic :-(

Stayed on Martyn's recommended site last September, wholly agree, smashing little shop up in the village too (St Julien le Lampon). Don't confuse with the site across the river, Camping les Ombrages which ought to be called Campimg les Umbridges from the reception we received. that's when we upped and went across the river & found Camping Bourniou.

Mike P

Guest JudgeMental
kevandali - 2009-07-09 8:16 AM

Thanks for all the replies, they all look amazing, can't wait.

Noticed not one reply to your same question over on "the dark side".

Could have saved yourself a tenner! lol >:-)

That looks a decent site Martyn and a fair price. One to keep in mind next time we are down there.

Rocamadour (touristy but worth seeing) and the cave at Padirac should keep you happy for a good day out. There is a lake in the cave which you go on, I think it is the best cave to go down in this area and well worth the visit.

Dave

Guest JudgeMental
LordThornber - 2009-07-09 3:29 PM

Thanks for all your nice comments on my recommendation. If I can help with any further info for the site just ask.

Martyn

Have you swam in the river from the site? is it safe? not to fast?

I may stop oft there for a few days next year (thinking of Spain/Portugal) we can share a bottle of Pernod........... :-D

Try looking at "Tremolat" a nice Aire and pretty village on the banks of the river. Didn't stop here as there was a canoe festival (or whatever you call a gethering of canoe's). Its on big bend of the river. Very hot when we visited (sept 07). It's number 89 in the Atlantic section of the latest "All the Aires" book. Don't know what sort of cycling you require but there some good climbs here.

Hopesy - 2009-07-09 3:53 PM

Try looking at "Tremolat" a nice Aire and pretty village on the banks of the river. Didn't stop here as there was a canoe festival (or whatever you call a gethering of canoe's). Its on big bend of the river. Very hot when we visited (sept 07). It's number 89 in the Atlantic section of the latest "All the Aires" book. Don't know what sort of cycling you require but there some good climbs here.

Hi Hopesy

I think they call it canoooodelling xxx :D

Dave

JudgeMental - 2009-07-09 3:40 PM

LordThornber - 2009-07-09 3:29 PM

Thanks for all your nice comments on my recommendation. If I can help with any further info for the site just ask.

Martyn

Have you swam in the river from the site? is it safe? not to fast?

I may stop oft there for a few days next year (thinking of Spain/Portugal) we can share a bottle of Pernod........... :-D

Hello Eddie, yes, swimming ok at the section that you can access easily from the site. It is fast but safe enough in my opinion and I'm no Mark Spitz..

Only one botle of Pernod? :D :D

Martyn

Archived