Leisure Battery Location

JohnP

I am in the process of changing my van to a Transit based one.

The vehicle battery is under the drivers seat and the leisure battery together with the charging/distribution unit is under the passenger seat.

I wish to fit a second leisure battery. Batteries will be matched for type age etc.

Would you recommend,

1. Use adequate wiring and fit both leisure batteries into the garage space.

2. Leave first battery where it is and add the second battery in the garage.

Will there be any difference in the charge received by each battery if version 2 is used?

There is a third possible alternative - to fit the extra leisure battery under the driver's seat, alongside the existing starter battery. 

There should be space forward of the starter battery under the seat, but I guess the seat would have to come out to see if it is adequate for a battery of the size you may want. 

The advantages are that the weight is kept forward which, from what you say about the new van, will be useful, and any interconnecting wiring will be shorter than either of the alternatives you have proposed.  Worth a look?

Brians suggestion is a good one. Would the second battery fit alongside if the charger were moved a little?

It is one of those questions where the answer is easy if you are stood by the van having a look.

Is there space alongside the starter battery for the second leisure battery?

C.

In the 350M rear wheel drive Mk7 ( mine 2008) there is an extra battery fitted under the drivers seat rated at 65Amp/hour. This battery was fitted by ford to power auxillary items such as a winch for some commercial applications - it also comes with a split charge relay so that it is charged from the engine, but will not discharge the engine battery when the auxillary items are being used.

My Autosleeper has a second leisure battery fitted in the accomodation, it is 80 Amp hour giving 80 + 65 = 145 Amp/hour total.

SO I suggest you ring Autosleeper technical who should help you. Otherwise contact your Dealer or particular converter

If you want a more detailed info please send me a PM and I will be pleased to discuss over the phone

Regards Mike

Guest Tracker

On may vans there is a gap twixt cab seats and caravan interior and unless you want to use that space for your feet when the seat is swivelled you may find that a battery fits very nicely in the gap and is easily wired in and easily and neatly boxed in with some matching wood.

We have found this to be good use of a previously unusable space in several vans although I appreciate that not everyone will agree!

Archived