Down-sizing

jo scott

:'(

We've got a 2005 Carioca 644 (fixed rear bed/ 3 berth) which we love and have taken up and down England and through Europe to Dubrovnik.

However, due to three (yes, 3!) new grandchildren and the taking on of too much work (self-employed writer/web builder) we've barely used it on the past 12 months.

Conundrum.

I find it distressing to have that much capital sat on the drive. The logical option is to stop saying yes to as much work . . but then it generates the dosh for travelling. So, I could sell up and use the money for conventional B&B hols

Alternatively - we down-size to a much older, smaller vehicle.

Has anyone already down-sized their vehicle and was it a hard adjustment to make, especially as we'd proably have to give us the fixed rear bed. We cant manage the overcab beds . . .

or is all this false economy?

Guest Tracker

If you love the van and it does all that you want and it's paid for why change it?

It ain't eating any meat sat on your drive as the bulk of the depreciation has already gone - not only that but it would probably cost you a lot more to change it for something smaller that might or might not work as well for you?

Not only but also do consider what you would buy next and given the issues that seem to irritate most new vehicle owners you might well be as well off keeping your good old trusted 'old' style van?

If you can't get as much use as you would like from the van just, now does that really matter as long as you are earning good money now and stacking it away for the future - like early retirement maybe - when you can give the van all the use it can take?

In the end you will decide and far be it from any of us to try and tell you what to do!

I can understand your conundrum, but are you worried about the large amount of capital you are sitting on in your house? I know people will say its a totally different asset, but the principle is the same. If you can afford to keep it, why change? What happens if the work is not quite so plentiful and you have more time to get out and about, would you really be happy in a smaller motorhome? Many people are forced into downsizing for other reasons like age which is totally different and what I call a forced change.

Obviously it has to be your decision and only you know what's right for you

Mmm not sure if I'd agree that the capital in my house can be viewed in the same way 'cos I use it regularly.

There are always compromises to make . . . .. .would we feel as confident taking an older vehicle on longer journeys should this magical free time arrive?

the money released would be useful. . . .but then we do enjoy this van . . . we're actually getting away Sunday for the first time since November so maybe that will help us things through.

The other aspect we shouldnt overlook is that having no van isnt really an option as we use it as our spare bedroom!

Guest Tracker
jo scott - 2009-07-08 1:56 PM

The other aspect we shouldn't overlook is that having no van isn't really an option as we use it as our spare bedroom!

I think that might answer your question Jo!

Would a small van also double as a spare bedroom with quite the panache of a coachbuilt?

Guest Tracker
jo scott - 2009-07-08 2:02 PM

panache doesnt come into it as its us who sleep in it..... are you really in the sahara?????

No - not now - but I was in February - and whilst you lot were caught in blizzards we were sitting in the warm sunshine drinking gin and tonics and laughing!

Cheers Jo!

PS Do you really want to sleep in a tiny van with a tiny washroom!

jo scott - 2009-07-08 1:51 PM whilst you are partly right, changing down would release money to travel, allowing me to say no to some work.

I think that you need to look very closely at the financials with this.

As others have said, you have already taken the biggest hit with depreciation as soon as the van left the showroom. I'm certainly no expert but I would be surprised if you are offered anything near 50% of the original showroom price in part exchange. You then need to decide how much cash this will release and what will be left to purchase the smaller van.

Good luck. 

Bazza454 - 2009-07-08 2:36 PM
jo scott - 2009-07-08 1:51 PM whilst you are partly right, changing down would release money to travel, allowing me to say no to some work.

I think that you need to look very closely at the financials with this.

As others have said, you have already taken the biggest hit with depreciation as soon as the van left the showroom. I'm certainly no expert but I would be surprised if you are offered anything near 50% of the original showroom price in part exchange. You then need to decide how much cash this will release and what will be left to purchase the smaller van.

Good luck. 

And a part exchange is also based on what you are buying, so if it's a new vehicle the chances are you'll get more px than in a smaller second hand van. If you do get a really good deal on a second hand vehicle to me it's warning bells as there's something not quite right with it or thyey've been stuck with it for ages - again why?I know it's a difficult dilema, enjoy your outing and hopefully you'll see the right answer for you whilst away.

As others have said jo you will get a big shock when you try downsizing!! apart from the fact that they want more for smaller vans these days! we were offered half of what we paid for our an in 05 as I was wanting a smaller van so I could share the driving :-S weve now decided to stick with it and when O.H. finds it too much we.ll give up altogether! apart from the 16.000 we were losing in depreciation we would have had to shell out another another £13.000 for a smaller van.

Bazza454 - 2009-07-08 2:36 PMp>I think that you need to look very closely at the financials with this.

Good luck. 

Blimey! If I could have afforded a new van back then we wouldn't be having this conversation. And as one element was to release some travelling money, I wouldn't be part exchanging to buy new. More likely sell this around £17- 18k and buy at £10k.Thanks for taking time to add your thoughts, JO

Slightly different in our case as we didnt buy new, so our loss wouldnt be as big.

We've seen an AutoSLeeper at £11k but straight away I can see issues as the upholstery is tired and it only has two seat belts.

It's no good - I'll just have to work harder at finding time to go away and him indoors will have to get resigned to seeing it unused for a bit longer. And our kids will have to stop producing these babies, that I cant bear to leave behind.

Next week, Essex and SUffolk - 5 days of R n R. Halleluliah.

jo scott - 2009-07-08 12:56 PM :............. However, due to three (yes, 3!) new grandchildren and the taking on of too much work (self-employed writer/web builder) we've barely used it on the past 12 months. Conundrum. I find it distressing to have that much capital sat on the drive. The logical option is to stop saying yes to as much work . . but then it generates the dosh for travelling. So, I could sell up and use the money for conventional B&B hols Alternatively - we down-size to a much older, smaller vehicle. ...........

Gotta say I'm a bit lost here, Jo.

How would either selling up and using B&Bs, or downsizing, solve the problem of too many grandchildren (not that there's anything you can do about that!  :-)) or too much work?

If you reduce the amount of work, or simply take it with you, you can surely use the van more?  If you're trapped into babysitting the grandchildren, who has made the trap - your kids, or Granny?  Don't worry about the capital - use it!  Changing the van will merely (rather expensively) change on lot of unused capital for another, still sitting on your drive.  If you want to save money, sell the van, don't buy another, and don't go on B&B holidays.  Stay at home and work, and look after the grandchildren!

Sorry, but I think you have to look elsewhere than your van, for the solution to your problem.  This ain't about vans, it is about happiness, guilt, and the famous work/life balance.  Only you can decide..................

Ah, I wondered when the sage would chip in - - - and he shoots straight to the heart. . . .ouch!

i except the granny bit .. but as a freelance writer/ web builder I pick up my work by being in the right place at the right time.

But I do accept what you're saying. . . . . oh wise one,

jo

(truth is its him indoors who frets about its lack of use. . . .and its me who creates the granny guilt and workload. Ho hum.)

jo

Hi Jo

We actually tried downsizing but it didn't work out at all. We traded in a 6m coachbuilt for a panel van conversion, but decided it was not for us after 3 nights, with me falling out of bed onto the dog!! Chaos. Tried to sell panel van privately but it took 6 months at a loss of around £6,000. All in all a disaster. We now have a van which is 7 metres!! all bells and whisles and are sticking with it. Wait till the kids are old enough to put in a tent!!

We`ve down sized from a 6.2m "A" Class to a 6m Panel Van and I won`t be going back, no regrets, I have to admit we are only GMT+1 Campers not interested in sitting in a field in January, South of France for us, so we spend quite a bit of time outside. Our current van has a rear lounge which makes it more spacious than those with the forward lounge, bed with its slide outs takes a couple of minutes, and we can even lie in with a cup of tea and watch tele something not all "A" Class and Overhead Cab beds will let you do. Our folding bikes/chairs fit in the back when travelling and in front of the driving seats on site. Easy drive compared to larger motorhomes not simply because of size but weight just feels far more car like. Fuel consumption is quite respectable which is going to be an issue in the not too distant future, the other big advantage can be used more readily as a day vehicle during the winter months. Last but by no means least painted steel bodies are so much easier to keep clean than fibreglass.

Ours is a Peugeot X250 and for all the complaints a far superior drive compared to the 2.8JTD and the deafening 2.8TD.

Jo, 5 years ago I purchased our current van a Swift Kontiki 665, 7.5 metres long and 6 Berths. At the time there was Myself, Ex-wife and our two daughters. Because my ex only worked when she felt like it all of the household finances were on my shoulders and as well as paying out large monthly re-payments on the loan for the van I could only afford to get away once a year. Quite an expensive 'door wedge', but it was my dream to have it and I loved it. 4 months after purchasing it my then wife left me for a younger model and my finances became even worse and I had to seriously contemplate selling my 'Big Momma'. My daughters persuaded me otherwise. Shortly afterwards I met the most fantastic lady, she had her own career and although never Motorhomed before fell in love with the freedom it offered us.

We have now been married for just over 2 years, relocated and bought a house together. With the equity from the sale of our two separate houses we each paid off all our debts, including the loan on the 'Big Momma'. My youngest daughter lives with her mother, my eldest daughter lives with her partner and my stepson (21 years old) although still living with us does not do camping of any sort !

So we have a fully paid for 6 berth, 7.5 metre long Motorhome for just the two of us. Because my OH is a teacher we can only get away during school holidays and some weekends. We take a 3-4 week European tour every year and at other times we tour sites in the UK. We considered downsizing but were reluctant to give up all the space that we have become accustomed to. Although we do not utilise it to it's full potential our dream is that when we can either afford to retire early, or wait until we reach the retirement age, we will spend longer periods away.

Unlike you, we do not, as yet, have any grandchildren (but only a matter of time). We both have very busy jobs that often reluctantly encroach into our weekends and so do not get away as often as we would like. However, it is fully paid for and we use it more now than I ever used to. Would I consider selling it, maybe if future funds permitted a more permanent retirement in the sun. Would I consider down sizing, not on your life.

One of the things that we did change was our own attitude to actually getting away in it. We have spent short weekends (Friday & Saturday nights) on sites within 1-2 hours of our home. Sometimes we take our laptops so that we can still work if neded to, but in more relaxed surroundings. Once finished we can take a stroll to enjoy the fresh air and then wander in to the local pub for a meal and a glass or two of wine. This year we even did the unthinkable, we took the van for a long weekend to Cambridge (in February !). We had the gas heating for the evenings and mornings when it wa a little chilly and our warm coats to get out and see some new sights during the day, fantastic and envigorating and guess what, we actually felt better when we returned and much more relaxed and refreshed.

If you already have the perfect van then perhaps it's just a small lifestyle change that you need and it doesn't have to be drastic, just requires a bit of positive effort. Whatever you decide, look at the long term so that you don't end up with regrets.

Archived