fridge question

wild rover

Hello again, just wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I was told by the company that sold us our secondhand motorhome that you shouldn't keep the fridge on for too long at a time. I would like to keep it on as it's useful to have a second fridge in the hot weather. Especially when we've got friends staying with us. Is this true? Is there a time limit to how long you can keep the fridge going?

Pam

Hi Pam

I personally have never heard that before!

What about the people who have the fridge running 24/7 as they live full time in their motorhomes?

The only advice that I've heard regarding fridges is more that if on a slope some fridges are temperamental at running on gas. Also that like many machines, it's the starting up that causes the most stress to the machine and the parts rather than the actual running. I'm sure that one of the guys on the forum will have the tech advice.

Thanks for this advice. That's pretty much what I thought. I can't understand why we were told this, but then the company has given me a lot of misleading information. When we bought the MH they said that it had been fully serviced, but then the second time we went out in it, to our horror we discovered that there was a gas leak, and we had to take it back. This was only two weeks after we'd bought it!

I remember Donna mentioning this problem. I seem to remember her saying she'd been told the fridges were not designed for ultra long term use.

She no longer contributes to this forum so we can't ask her of course.

Sorry for being a damp squib, it would be interesting for somone like Don to comment who (presumably) has experience of 6 months continuous use of his fridge?

Martyn

Until recently we spent three years continuously in our van not full timing as we used to come back to our Bungalow base for a few days ,sort things out and off we would go again,even living in the van on the drive as it was easier than emptying the van and reloading each time.In this time the fridge never went off,we alternated between Gas, twelve volt and mains,and the only problem I had in that time was that I had to clean the fridge chimney and the gas burner and jet.So I would say it's OK to run your fridge long term, but as with every thing mechanical you are going to need to give it some attention at some time.

wild rover - 2009-07-08 3:32 PM Hello again, just wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I was told by the company that sold us our secondhand motorhome that you shouldn't keep the fridge on for too long at a time. I would like to keep it on as it's useful to have a second fridge in the hot weather. Especially when we've got friends staying with us. Is this true? Is there a time limit to how long you can keep the fridge going? Pam

All of which replies are very interesting and, no doubt, reassuring.  However, if you really want to know, why not contact Dometic (assuming it is one of theirs) and ask them.  Then, when they give the definitive answer, you can come back and tell us all what they said.  :-)

Guest peter
I dare say Dometic will say not to leave it on too long whilst it's in warranty. But after that they don't care. :D

Is Dometic the company that makes fridges for motorhomes? I don't have a problem with the fridge, it's the company that sold us the mh than I'm a bit worried about. Anyway, thanks for all your help. I'm going to keep the fridge running as long as I need it.

Pam

Dometic make fridges that use virtually no 12V electricity when running on gas. Over eight years in our last 'van we spent about 700 nights ( say two years) with the fridge running full time.

There is another type known as a compressor fridge ( various makes) that run of the vehicle battery and if you have one of these it discharge battery flat fairly quickly, If that is the case the dealer was telling it straight.

Are the pigs fed and ready to fly.

"There is another type known as a compressor fridge ( various makes) that run of the vehicle battery and if you have one of these it discharge battery flat fairly quickly, If that is the case the dealer was telling it straight."

Well not quite George, we have a 100 litre compressor fridge which draws 5 Amps when running. Last weekend it ran for about five minutes per hour during the day in temperatures of up to 28 C, at night with the temperature at around 20 C it only ran for about two minutes per hour.

Yes a compressor fridge will take more 12 volt power than a three way running on gas but it will not necessarily flatten your battery that quickly. Our solar panel is proving more than capable of keeping the batteries charged.

Caravan/motorhome fridges, along with every other item in a caravan or motorhome, are designed for sporadic use with an expectancy that they will be used for up to two weeks at a time continuously. Constant use of gas appliances in particular for longer periods may cause premature demise of the burner assembly, in particular the thermocouple and igniter probe.

D.

wild rover - 2009-07-08 3:32 PM

I was told by the company that sold us our secondhand motorhome that you shouldn't keep the fridge on for too long at a time.

Pam

Perhaps the company is already aware of a fault with the fridge cutting out after a certain time and want you to believe that this is normal with M'home fridges ;-) take it you have a warranty from them (!)

davenewell@home - 2009-07-11 7:22 AM

we have a 100 litre compressor fridge which draws 5 Amps when running. Last weekend it ran for about five minutes per hour during the day in temperatures of up to 28 C, at night with the temperature at around 20 C it only ran for about two minutes per hour.

Dave, those are amazingly low running times, which fridge is it?

Andy

Andy_C - 2009-07-11 12:20 PM

we have a 100 litre compressor fridge which draws 5 Amps when running. Last weekend it ran for about five minutes per hour during the day in temperatures of up to 28 C, at night with the temperature at around 20 C it only ran for about two minutes per hour.

Andy

Hi Andy, here's a link to our fridge:

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_detail.aspx?prod=INDEL+B+CRUISE+100+EN+FRIDGE&id=127

D.

davenewell@home - 2009-07-11 5:35 PM

Andy_C - 2009-07-11 12:20 PM

Andy

Hi Andy, here's a link to our fridge:

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_detail.aspx?prod=INDEL+B+CRUISE+100+EN+FRIDGE&id=127

D.

Thanks Dave, I'm impressed, in your case it seems to be consuming around 10Ah/day. My Waeco MDC-110 is a bit bigger but I reckon it uses around 45Ah/day!

Andy

Archived