municipal camp sites France

gadjo

Gadjo you beat me to it,I've got an Aires book ,and the Allan Rogers guide to sites in France we did France last year but mainly used the Rogers guide. I like yourself would love to know..help anyone??

There are lots of Municipal sites in the Caravan Club Europe 1. We have a 2006 book (To mean to buy a new one) Use it a lot. Have found on two occasions the sites were closed down. They are good value for money, especialy if you dont want the all singing/dancing type sites. We have found some with pools. France has so many camp sites, not all in all the books. Have found the Alan Rogers guides seem to have the more "upmarket"type of sites in You will always find a site somewhere near where you want to be, just by driving to the area. Found the ACSI book good value this year.

by eck that was quick

I've got the CC book and aires book but just wondered if there was a book just for municiple sites. If not then hey ho will just have get off me a**e and do a bit of digging about.

We tend to like the more 'down market' site, we dont need pools or bars or take aways or kids clubs just some where nice and quite to relax and chill out, plus I dont like paying for stuff I wont use or dont want, but thats another thread!!!

Cheers

Guest JudgeMental

we don't go anywhere without "Michelin Camping France"

I don't think there is a specific municipal guide........But the Michelin has them all

Agree withyou on choice of sites George, Dont need all the trimmings , just like electric and good showers. we have just got back from 8weks in Spain/Portugal and found Acsi really good, but of course they only apply out of season, will have to wait untill September now, for there deals

Hve spent two days cleaning van ready for September, still got the ironing to catch up on!!!!

I don't think there is a guide for just the municipal sites of France, but they are virtually all in the "Guide Officiel Camping Caravaning" which is a sister publication to the aires book, published by Les Guides Motor Presse and the French camping and caravanning organisation. It is available on Amazon from here http://www.amazon.fr/guide-officiel-camping-caravaning/dp/2902417896/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247157552&sr=8-1 for 11.40€. I always take a copy with me to France, as it has almost all the campsites in it - two or thre times the number of the other publications mentioned in earlier posts, and it has the cheap and cheerful ones often avoided by the caravanners.

As well as all the aformentioned, I also have a couple of extra books:

Publication by the AA "France Caravan & Camping" around 450 inspected campsites, listed by French regions. Although not dedicated to Municipal sites it does list these but also some of the smaller french campsites.

I know you specifically asked for France, but I also have another book, which I believe I got from Vicarious called "Espana 2008 Campings" which comes complete with a CD, again listings are by Region.

Agreed, but it is totally non-selective, so you'll get the lot without any qualitative judgement - which may get you to some "interesting" sites from time to time!

There is one current problem with the municipals, which is that many are being "privatised", and have lost their municipal status.  This would make it a bit difficult to maintain an accurate list purely of municipally owned and run sites.  It also means that the privatised ones are very variable as to how they are run.  Some have been upgraded by go-ahead new owners - and some taken over by dreamy plonkers without a clue in the world! 

Have fun, but arrive early - so you can bail out if necessary!  :-)

JudgeMental - 2009-07-09 5:25 PM

we don't go anywhere without "Michelin Camping France"

I don't think there is a specific municipal guide........But the Michelin has them all

I second that, also municipal sites are named as such.

I very much doubt this claim. The last time I saw this guide there were many omissions. How do you know they are all in there?

I believe there is no publication that lists EVERY French municipal campsite.

I thought that the FFCC annual guide might be a slight possibility, but an informed comment on the following link proves otherwise:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50024

Besides the privatisation of municipal campsites that Brian mentions, we've noticed an increasing tendency for sites to replace traditional 'pitches' with permanent 'mobile homes'.

Guest JudgeMental
BrianR - 2009-07-11 5:27 PM

I very much doubt this claim. The last time I saw this guide there were many omissions. How do you know they are all in there?

I take that back then, as I don't know for certain. But it is the most comprehensive book I have used and rates the sites as well. I have used it for over 20 years and trust it. To be honest I hardly use books these days, and if I do it is just as a cross reference. The sat nav and POI does the job most of the time while touring.....destinations need a little more research.

ffcc books for all camping and the aires book -7500 in the aires. Two municipals that are genuine still are mimizan lake and Soullans in the Vendee -superb site and Soullans has the best showers and pitches anywhere at a cost of 6.40 eurines and plus that to 8.8 eurines with leccy.

Guest JudgeMental
dikyenfo - 2009-07-11 7:03 PM

ffcc books for all camping and the aires book -7500 in the aires. Two municipals that are genuine still are mimizan lake and Soullans in the Vendee -superb site and Soullans has the best showers and pitches anywhere at a cost of 6.40 eurines and plus that to 8.8 eurines with leccy.

Both in Michelin guide, with your first lakeside recommendation being particularly well rated........

My two favourite municipals are Noyers, in the Yonne - by the side of the Serein river in a walled enclosure, just outside the gate of this superb medieval village - definately my favourite spot. The other is Allemans-sur-Dropt, Lot et Garonne. On the banks of the Dropt, just accross the river from the village (superb frescos in the church). Hoopoes come so close you can photograph them, and the gérant gave us a bag of cherries he had just picked.

Archived