Solar Panels

Guest Tracker

Bruce, we have one of these 'suitcase solar panels' and connect it to the engine battery when the need arises and it does the job perfectly. We paid about £60 for it on Ebay. We bought this last year so I don't think the price will have increased much. We also had fitted, this year, a roof mounted panel that just charges the leisure battery, we decided against having a split charger.

The suitcase job comes in handy for charging our sit-on mower and also the other car if its not been used for a while. It has come in very handy.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a couple of these portable solar panels and run them directly through the PSU as it has the regulator in it. I sit them on the dash mainly to keep batteries top up while in storage.

I did use them through the cig lighter but after reading another thread on here I found out that this only works if the cig lighter is live and with out the ignition on these are usually dead so no charge was getting through. Since running through PSU the bateries have been fine and seem to be well charged.

oh yes both panels £40 from maplins together about 10w and lead to PSU £5 from Sargents electric jobs a goddun

Cheers (lol)

PS. we have used them while on a cl for about two days in march and the batteries stayed fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just back for a few days from our trip away. We were parked up at a farm, near Worcester/Bromyard, from last Thursday until tea time yesterday. I didn't have the battery charger turned on once in that time, although we were hooked up for "essentials" like the hairdryer! We also had the fridge and water heater on electric, but everything else was battery. That was the 12 volt drop down t.v./DVD player for 3-4 hours a day, satellite dish, water pump, (washing up, showers at least once a day), and all the LED lighting. The batteries never once dropped below 12 volts capacity, and it was back up to 14 volts every night by tea time.

I didn't sit watching the solar input but when I did look its' highest was 8.9 volts coming in around mid day/early afternoon on a sunny day and its' lowest during the day, (when it wasn't raining!) was 0.4volts at 7.30 A.M. on several sunny mornings. It even registered 1.4 volts input during a "sun shower"!

The panels exceeded my expectations and have been an excellent buy up to now.

Tomo - that sounds very good indeed!

I'm moving gradually closer to approaching the local motorhome dealer near us (they are on the northern outskirts of Alicante) for advice/prices for supply and fit of a solar panel in order to keep the vehcicle battery and twin leisure batteries topped up when the MH is layed up for weeks at a time, and also to help out when we are camped up without mains hookup.

Despite turning everything off in the MH when it's parked up for storage, there is still a very small residual current drain.....which has flattened the vehicle battery a couple of times.

For the moment, I now connect up a mains-powered trickle charger to the vehicle battery when parked up at home for periods of time, but I'd much rather use solar power which is (almost!) always available in plentiful supply here in south eastern Spain.

I'd like the system to favour the vehicle battery first, to ensure that it remains fully charged, and then "switch" to helping out the leisure batteries once it senses the vehicle battery is full.

To those in the know: Is that a typical setup for a solar panel charge controller?

I think you mentioned in an earlier post Tomo, that it was 2 X 85watt solar panels that you've had fitted.

A question.......how big does such a panel measure? And how much does such a beast weigh?

And cost, with a charge controller/splitter thingy??

On the roof of our MH, above the drive/passenger cab area I've got a flat area about (in old money) 4 feet wide by 3 feet long. It's and A-class MH of 1992 vintage, the roof (and body) is GRP

Hi Bruce

I would be very interested In the price quoted for solar panels in Alicante As I was considering having them fitted next week at the Shepton Mallet Show and as I will be back on the Costa soon Iwould wait until I return If the price is right

BGD - 2009-08-31 12:58 PM

Tomo - that sounds very good indeed!

I'm moving gradually closer to approaching the local motorhome dealer near us (they are on the northern outskirts of Alicante) for advice/prices for supply and fit of a solar panel in order to keep the vehcicle battery and twin leisure batteries topped up when the MH is layed up for weeks at a time, and also to help out when we are camped up without mains hookup.

Despite turning everything off in the MH when it's parked up for storage, there is still a very small residual current drain.....which has flattened the vehicle battery a couple of times.

For the moment, I now connect up a mains-powered trickle charger to the vehicle battery when parked up at home for periods of time, but I'd much rather use solar power which is (almost!) always available in plentiful supply here in south eastern Spain.

I'd like the system to favour the vehicle battery first, to ensure that it remains fully charged, and then "switch" to helping out the leisure batteries once it senses the vehicle battery is full.

To those in the know: Is that a typical setup for a solar panel charge controller?

I think you mentioned in an earlier post Tomo, that it was 2 X 85watt solar panels that you've had fitted.

A question.......how big does such a panel measure? And how much does such a beast weigh?

And cost, with a charge controller/splitter thingy??

On the roof of our MH, above the drive/passenger cab area I've got a flat area about (in old money) 4 feet wide by 3 feet long. It's and A-class MH of 1992 vintage, the roof (and body) is GRP

While on the subject of Solar panel's I would like to ask if it would be also worth putting in an extra Leisure Battery. If the panel can keep the First battery topped up why is there a need for a second with the extra weight added? and as I already have a weight problem this is an important question for me.

4petedaniel - 2009-09-01 9:17 AM While on the subject of Solar panel's I would like to ask if it would be also worth putting in an extra Leisure Battery. If the panel can keep the First battery topped up why is there a need for a second with the extra weight added? and as I already have a weight problem this is an important question for me.

The answer to this I think is that it is irrelevent how your battery or batteries are charged. The question is more about the demand that you put on the battery.

If you want to have lighting, watch TV and charge your laptop etc. whilst static, then an extra leisure battery will ensure that you make it through the evening. And of course you can't always guarantee enough light to completely charge your battery using solar panels, although, as is often thought, you do not need sunshine for solar panels to work.

I have an 85w panel and twin leisure batteries. We often remain on a site, or a decent aire, for two or three days whilst we explore by bike or foot and I've found the second battery to be invaluable.

I must have good batteries then. I have a 115A/h liesure battery, and often spend a few days at the one site without hook-up and have never had a problem with battery life - the laptop is powered via an inverter from the van battery and I have yet to run it flat, despite using the dvd player extensively while on site.

A solar panel is best considered if your van does not have an easy access to power at home. Mine is plugged into the mains on a frequent basis and this keeps the battery charged.

Normal use, ie drive from home, park on site, stay at site overnight, drive to next site, is fine for most batteries and they will stay charged.

I'm sure that you're right in your case but my battery was an 85AH, your 115AH is 35% larger than mine. I omitted to mention that we bought an electric bike this year and I charge the battery for that using an inverter, so my twin battery set-up is invaluable and has proved to be necessary at times. We also power a 12v TV and a 12v digibox during the evening, which doesn't help!

I use a lot of power but don't stay on campsites. I've gone the belt, braces, piece of baler twine & bungee route.

4 x 125Ah Elecsol batteries, 2 x 75W solar panels connected to seperate regulators (no always on digital readout), sterling B2B charger, a battery master, Honda 1Kw generator & a button on the dash that allows me to use the leisure batteries to start the engine.

At the press of a button by the Hymer control panel I have 240v at all the mains sockets. The inverter has 3Kw peak, 2Kw for 30 mins & 1.6Kw for as long as there is enough juice in the batteries.

I use lots of mains powered things:- toaster, bread maker, bean to cup coffee maker, laptop, Sat TV system, Tefal Actifry chip 'fryer', phone charger etc. When the boss tags along she brings her 240v hairdrier *-)

Haven't run out of power ............. Yet (lol)

smifee - 2009-09-01 7:53 PM

I use a lot of power but don't stay on campsites. I've gone the belt, braces, piece of baler twine & bungee route.

4 x 125Ah Elecsol batteries, 2 x 75W solar panels connected to seperate regulators (no always on digital readout), sterling B2B charger, a battery master, Honda 1Kw generator & a button on the dash that allows me to use the leisure batteries to start the engine.

At the press of a button by the Hymer control panel I have 240v at all the mains sockets. The inverter has 3Kw peak, 2Kw for 30 mins & 1.6Kw for as long as there is enough juice in the batteries.

I use lots of mains powered things:- toaster, bread maker, bean to cup coffee maker, laptop, Sat TV system, Tefal Actifry chip 'fryer', phone charger etc. When the boss tags along she brings her 240v hairdrier *-)

Haven't run out of power ............. Yet (lol)

And what does that lot weigh? I only have a few Kilos to play with befor I exceed the permitted weight.and I am hopping to fit a Scotter on the back.

that is why I asked about the need for a second battery.

4petedaniel - 2009-09-02 6:30 PM

When is a bargain not a bargain.

Spotted a 60 watt solar Panel Kit with regulator cables ect on the Maplins web site for only £199 snaped it up. only to find it was

wider than the roof of my van also it weighed 28.5 kilos.

I'm struggling to imagine how that is constructed, a 60w panel I would expect to be 1000mm x 500mm and weight around 6 or 7kg.

colin - 2009-09-02 8:34 PM

Spotted a 60 watt solar Panel Kit with regulator cables ect on the Maplins web site for only £199 snaped it up. only to find it was

I'm struggling to imagine how that is constructed, a 60w panel I would expect to be 1000mm x 500mm and weight around 6 or 7kg.

It was made up of 4 15watt panels Each about 150cm by 25 cm witha frame to fit them in 4cm width each side. took it back got my money back ordered a 100watt solar panel only 6kios on Ebay for £124 plus £80

postagel

done the same for the regulator For only £2.40 plus £12 postage.

now waiting to see just what I get

A 100watt solar panel complete for under £225 cant be bad? or can it?

4petedaniel - 2009-09-04 7:38 PM

colin - 2009-09-02 8:34 PM

It was made up of 4 15watt panels Each about 150cm by 25 cm witha frame to fit them in 4cm width each side. took it back got my money back ordered a 100watt solar panel only 6kios on Ebay for £124 plus £80

postagel

Or just can't be!

I look forward to hearing more about this unit.

D.

I don't understand why one of the big companies hasn't designed a solar powered water heater for a van. The hot water tabk only holds 12 litres so that can't be a big job to heat that. Even if it just heated it to 20-30 degrees it would mean a hell of a saving in gas.

So come on you boffins, there's money to be made! I'll only have 50% of your profits for the idea! :-D

100watt solar panel only 6kios on Ebay for £124 plus £80

postagel

I take it was from Hong Kong or China have you budgeted for the 10% import duty, 15% VAT & a possible £25-40 UK shipping agents charges?

lennyhb - 2009-09-05 8:08 PM

100watt solar panel only 6kios on Ebay for £124 plus £80

postagel

I take it was from Hong Kong or China have you budgeted for the 10% import duty, 15% VAT & a possible £25-40 UK shipping agents charges?

Had stuff from there befor never paid a extra penny

Tomo3090 - 2009-09-05 7:44 PM

I don't understand why one of the big companies hasn't designed a solar powered water heater for a van. The hot water tabk only holds 12 litres so that can't be a big job to heat that. Even if it just heated it to 20-30 degrees it would mean a hell of a saving in gas.

So come on you boffins, there's money to be made! I'll only have 50% of your profits for the idea! :-D

Well it'll be 'cos you have to pump water around a solar heating system and that takes battery amps if you're not on hookup. if you are on hookup why bother?

D.

Tomo,

you can get Black bags in camping/ marine chandlers, which you fill with water, hang/Lay in the sun to heat,they have a tap on the bottom, very good showers they make. I'D CALL THAT , SOLAR HEATED WATER

Used one many years ago on a sailing trip in Greece, Plenty of sun there!!

PJay

Archived