Solar Panels

Guest Tracker

4petedaniel - 2009-09-05 9:58 PM

lennyhb - 2009-09-05 8:08 PM

4petedaniel - 2009-09-02 6:30 PM

When is a bargain not a bargain.

100watt solar panel only 6kios on Ebay for £124 plus £80

postagel

done the same for the regulator For only £2.40 plus £12 postage.

now waiting to see just what I get

A 100watt solar panel complete for under £225 cant be bad? or can it?

I take it was from Hong Kong or China have you budgeted for the 10% import duty, 15% VAT & a possible £25-40 UK shipping agents charges?

Had stuff from there befor never paid a extra penny

You have just been lucky, items over £18 are subject to import duty & VAT, I have also been charged £30 by DHL for import paperwork on ebay items.

If the item is small enough for normal post you often get away with it, items shipped via a carrier Customs usually pick up on.

Is the one you have ordered in a housing/framework? If so with charges it's still cheap, I ask because a lot of the ones on ebay are just the panel without any housing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realise the power issue for the pump Dave, but it would only have to be a very low wattage one to pump the water slowly through the pipes. Plus, the solar panel would cope with that easily.

The point about the hook up is valid too, but if you are in Italy or somewhere that the site power is only 2 amps, on an aire then you can't use it to heat the water.

I've seen those black bags and they are a good idea, (for campers or "tuggers"), but I have a high class van and don't want to be hanging bits of plastic bag from the back! Good grief man where's your self respect! ;-)

davenewell@home - 2009-09-04 10:18 PM

4petedaniel - 2009-09-04 7:38 PM

colin - 2009-09-02 8:34 PM

When is a bargain not a bargain.

Spotted a 60 watt solar Panel Kit with regulator cables ect on the Maplins web site for only £199 snaped it up. only to find it was

wider than the roof of my van also it weighed 28.5 kilos.

I'm struggling to imagine how that is constructed, a 60w panel I would expect to be 1000mm x 500mm and weight around 6 or 7kg.

It was made up of 4 15watt panels Each about 150cm by 25 cm witha frame to fit them in 4cm width each side. took it back got my money back ordered a 100watt solar panel only 6kios on Ebay for £124 plus £80

postagel

done the same for the regulator For only £2.40 plus £12 postage.

now waiting to see just what I get

A 100watt solar panel complete for under £225 cant be bad? or can it?

Or just can't be!

I look forward to hearing more about this unit.

Hi

It arrived Friday looks the job no VAT and no import duty tolal price £225 for a 100 watt solar panel The most expencive addition is the £40 I have had to pay for 2 fixing brackets at the Shepton show. Still waiting for the controller to arrive.

D.

Hi

It arrived Friday looks the job no VAT and no import duty tolal price £225 for a 100 watt solar panel The most expencive addition is the £40 I have had to pay for 2 fixing brackets at the Shepton show. Still waiting for the controller to arrive.

Lucky devil you got away with it, how much you offering for me not to tell HMC&E?

lennyhb - 2009-09-13 8:35 PM

Hi

Lucky devil you got away with it, how much you offering for me not to tell HMC&E?

less than I could get from a blackmail attempt, and I have it in writing

4petedaniel - 2009-09-01 8:48 AM

Hi Bruce

I would be very interested In the price quoted for solar panels in Alicante As I was considering having them fitted next week at the Shepton Mallet Show and as I will be back on the Costa soon Iwould wait until I return If the price is right.

Hi Pete - To give you an update as requested:

I popped down to Caravanas Ferrero (on the N332, on the northern outskirts of Alicante) yesterday with our MH to get a detailed quote.

They've quoted me, (after a bit of haggling) a total cash price of 700 euros for supply & install of a 75 watt solar panel fitted to roof of our A-class MH, including aluminium frame and four fixing brackets, then wires leading down behind headlining/internal walls/under floor to two regulators, one to then feed the vehicle battery and the other to then feed the twin leisure batteries. The price also includes them putting the MH through its annual ITV (like MOT test), so maybe 50 euros of that is ITV test cost.

The technical/service Manager there is Jorge...very useful, but only speaks Spanish. If your Spanish is not up top scratch though, his Senior Technician speaks very good English (and is very good....I've had work done by him before and have been pleased with it).

They could have done the job (they said they'll need the MH all day for it) beginning of next week, but I'm getting the work done down there on 6th October instead, as we're busy on other things until that week.

It may have been possible to get a lower price elsewhere, but I know them, know their work, they know the MH, and other Dealers are a lot further away.

Hope this helps.......

Cheers, Bruce.

BGD - 2009-09-15 7:04 PM

4petedaniel - 2009-09-01 8:48 AM

Hi Bruce

I would be very interested In the price quoted for solar panels in Alicante As I was considering having them fitted next week at the Shepton Mallet Show and as I will be back on the Costa soon Iwould wait until I return If the price is right.

Hi Pete - To give you an update as requested:

I popped down to Caravanas Ferrero (on the N332, on the northern outskirts of Alicante) yesterday with our MH to get a detailed quote.

They've quoted me, (after a bit of haggling) a total cash price of 700 euros for supply & install of a 75 watt solar panel fitted to roof of our A-class MH, including aluminium frame and four fixing brackets, then wires leading down behind headlining/internal walls/under floor to two regulators, one to then feed the vehicle battery and the other to then feed the twin leisure batteries. The price also includes them putting the MH through its annual ITV (like MOT test), so maybe 50 euros of that is ITV test cost.

The technical/service Manager there is Jorge...very useful, but only speaks Spanish. If your Spanish is not up top scratch though, his Senior Technician speaks very good English (and is very good....I've had work done by him before and have been pleased with it).

They could have done the job (they said they'll need the MH all day for it) beginning of next week, but I'm getting the work done down there on 6th October instead, as we're busy on other things until that week.

It may have been possible to get a lower price elsewhere, but I know them, know their work, they know the MH, and other Dealers are a lot further away.

Hope this helps.......

Cheers, Bruce.

Hi Bruce as you took some time coming back I tried E bay and if you read my previous quotes you will see that I got one at a very low price.100watt by the time I will have fitted it it will have come out under £350.00 complete.

Where can you get a ITV for 50 Euros? for a diesel car it is 68 Euros. I have no idea what it is for a campervan now, but my last Spanish camper

had to be tested every 6 months, got myself an English one. only once a year.

Mel - as you say, I think it could well be somewhat expensive, certainly compared to the UK, but there ain't as much choice of MH dealers over here in Spain; and distances between (decent) dealers with good workshop facilities and plenty of off-the-shelf spares are pretty huge.

At least it'll be a fully fitted, two regulator system, with a guarantee.

In the end, I'm prepared to pay that price relatively locally, rather than chasing round to Murcia or Valencia, if it keeps both sets of batteries well topped up in future, especially when the MH is "layed up" for long periods of time.

Archived