Annual Service & MOT

Big Momma

A previous thread got pulled because of remarks made about a certain Motorhome dealer. However, on that thread there was a lot of discussion about having Servicing and MOT conducted at non Motorhome dealers.

Today I had my 5th annual service and 3rd MOT. Previously I had these carried out at a certain Motorhome dealership but this time I took it to a ISUZU dealer who are also a Heavy Goods Breakdown Recovery Firm:

Parts £94.37

Labour £40.00

MOT £44.00

VAT £20.17

TOTAL: £198.54

Half the price it used to cost me at the Motorhome dealership !! and look at the Labour Charge.

The other thing that was mentioned in a previous post was about the spanner symbol that appeared on the dashboard instrumentation and how this got removed. It was explained that this symbol appeared to indicate that a service was due and that the dealer re-set it after service was complete. I did not mention this to the garage but when I collected the spanner symbol had gone.

just posted for info and comparison :-)

davenewell@home - 2009-07-11 7:25 AM

I'm amazed at the labour cost. Presumably that is for one hour's work which leads me to ask what level of service did you have? I haven't managed to do a FULL service (wheels off brake inspection included) in less than 2.5 hours, normally three.

D.

When I spoke to the mechanic who was actually the person doing the service I explained that although only 10,000 miles on the clock the van was 5 years old and that I was going to Spain in 2 weeks for a 25 day tour. I said that I wanted a full service not just oil/fluid change. He said he would give it a full check. I noticed on the bill that I had been charged for Brake cleaner !

I dropped the vehicle off on Thursday night ready for the Friday appointment and they called me at 3pm to say it was done.

Now I do not know if this had any sway with them but when I was talking to the mechanic about the dealer's where I had previously had the annuals carried out he was of the same opinion as me, and other members of this forum. Cannot mention the dealer's by name but I am sure that many of you will know who I mean. It may also be that in this period of recession they are trying to build up and retain this side of their business.

I am not mechanically or technically savvy so of course I do not know whether they have done a proper job. But the same applies to the dealers, you drop the vehicle off at usually 8am in the morning and they tell you it will take all day. When you collect they have charged you for 3-4 hours work at extortionate labour charges (£100 ph) but how do you know what they have or have not done (?)

Understand your scepticism, at the moment I am £200 better off. I will hope that this was not false economy but only time will tell *-)

Big Momma - 2009-07-11 10:41 AM

I'm amazed at the labour cost. Presumably that is for one hour's work which leads me to ask what level of service did you have? I haven't managed to do a FULL service (wheels off brake inspection included) in less than 2.5 hours, normally three.

D.

When I spoke to the mechanic who was actually the person doing the service I explained that although only 10,000 miles on the clock the van was 5 years old and that I was going to Spain in 2 weeks for a 25 day tour. I said that I wanted a full service not just oil/fluid change. He said he would give it a full check. I noticed on the bill that I had been charged for Brake cleaner !

I dropped the vehicle off on Thursday night ready for the Friday appointment and they called me at 3pm to say it was done.

Now I do not know if this had any sway with them but when I was talking to the mechanic about the dealer's where I had previously had the annuals carried out he was of the same opinion as me, and other members of this forum. Cannot mention the dealer's by name but I am sure that many of you will know who I mean. It may also be that in this period of recession they are trying to build up and retain this side of their business.

I am not mechanically or technically savvy so of course I do not know whether they have done a proper job. But the same applies to the dealers, you drop the vehicle off at usually 8am in the morning and they tell you it will take all day. When you collect they have charged you for 3-4 hours work at extortionate labour charges (£100 ph) but how do you know what they have or have not done (?)

Understand your scepticism, at the moment I am £200 better off. I will hope that this was not false economy but only time will tell *-)

They don't happen to have a special offer on at the moment for servicing do they? I only ask as its the only way I can see that they could do all the work required for £40 (labour).

D.

davenewell@home - 2009-07-11 5:39 PM

D.

They don't happen to have a special offer on at the moment for servicing do they? I only ask as its the only way I can see that they could do all the work required for £40 (labour).

D.

What work? Services on modern vehicles usually consist of oil and filter change, quick look at the brakes and a visual check of the rest. Any other work required is charged as extra, the service charge itself is a complete rip off and it is about time someone started to charge a realistic price. It is unfortunate that a lot of us have vans under warrenty so have to go to a main dealer for service. My last one was nearly £250, will not be going back their again.

rupert123 - 2009-07-11 6:43 PM

davenewell@home - 2009-07-11 5:39 PM

D.

D.

What work? Services on modern vehicles usually consist of oil and filter change, quick look at the brakes and a visual check of the rest. Any other work required is charged as extra, the service charge itself is a complete rip off and it is about time someone started to charge a realistic price. It is unfortunate that a lot of us have vans under warrenty so have to go to a main dealer for service. My last one was nearly £250, will not be going back their again.

As I said earlier Rupert, it takes me at least 2.5 hours and more often than not 3 plus to do a FULL service. This includes checking all roadlights are functioning correctly, all instruments and switchgear is functioning correctly, checking and lubricating all door locks and hinges, checking tyre age tread depth and condition, removal of ALL roadwheels and full inspection of brakes and suspension, greasing AlKo axles in accordance with AlKo's criteria (where appropriate), changing oil and filter, changing air filter, changing fuel filter, checking brake fluid for moisture, checking power steering fluid, checking strength of anti freeze, checking wipers for condition and function, topping up washer fluid, checking battery level where appropriate (many are sealed for life and can't be checked) road test for engine performance, clutch performance, transmission faults, suspension faults etc.etc.etc.etc.

D.

Well fair enough Dave but that is pretty well what I said. Change oil and filters and do a number of checks, mostly visual. Any things you find I would assume you would charge extra for. Now you may check better than most but am willing to bet most do not even bother to do that. Perhaps I will try you next time.

Big Momma

To get all that done for that price is dam cheap, (under £200) If it's been done proper then put their name up and let the other motor-homers know, there must be quite a few in your area.

I had my Tranny fully serviced + new cam belt (everything that Batman does) + grease on all the brake pipes, had a small mishap with back step so he put that right as well, £260 all in, I'am a happy man. I can always tell if it's been done proper, it drives smoother, slightly more power & acceleration, better MPG & has not failed a Mot first time, since I became the owner in 2002. He is a ex HGV mechanic and his place looks a right dump but who cares I think I get a good job done for what he charges.

Dave

Just had as Fiat call it an, Annual Service For Low Mileage Vehicles.

Covered most things mentioned in above threads.

Parts. £56.17

Labour. £63.60

VAT £17.97

Total £137.74

They also regased air con for £30+ Vat

+ they gave me a loan car for the day free of charge :-D

davenewell@home - 2009-07-11 7:46 PM

As I said earlier Rupert, it takes me at least 2.5 hours and more often than not 3 plus to do a FULL service. This includes checking all roadlights are functioning correctly, all instruments and switchgear is functioning correctly, checking and lubricating all door locks and hinges, checking tyre age tread depth and condition, removal of ALL roadwheels and full inspection of brakes and suspension, greasing AlKo axles in accordance with AlKo's criteria (where appropriate), changing oil and filter, changing air filter, changing fuel filter, checking brake fluid for moisture, checking power steering fluid, checking strength of anti freeze, checking wipers for condition and function, topping up washer fluid, checking battery level where appropriate (many are sealed for life and can't be checked) road test for engine performance, clutch performance, transmission faults, suspension faults etc.etc.etc.etc.

D.

1. No special Offer, when I rang them initially I asked what they charged for labour and that is what they quoted me.

2. A lot of what you said you do as part of your service is a mandatory part of the MOT test isn't it ? I had the service and MOT done at the same time and it passed it's MOT (3rd year without any problems) so assume that if done as part of the service they would not duplicate effort during MOT Test e.g. Check Lights, Washers, Horn, Tyres, Brakes etc so cannot see why they would check them again ? perhaps this where they are too honest, another dealer may charge you the £40 for the service and then £40 for another hours labour during MOT to check the work that has just been done

3. According to my receipt they greased/lubricated all hinges and linkages and changed Oil and Oil/Fuel Filters.

4. Greenmeadow Commercials Ltd, Gypsy lane, Swindon SN2 8DH (01793 484443)

Worth mentioning that when I dropped my Motorhome off there were 3 others in their car park as well.

Big Momma - 2009-07-12 11:50 PM

davenewell@home - 2009-07-11 7:46 PM

D.

1. No special Offer, when I rang them initially I asked what they charged for labour and that is what they quoted me.

2. A lot of what you said you do as part of your service is a mandatory part of the MOT test isn't it ? I had the service and MOT done at the same time and it passed it's MOT (3rd year without any problems) so assume that if done as part of the service they would not duplicate effort during MOT Test e.g. Check Lights, Washers, Horn, Tyres, Brakes etc so cannot see why they would check them again ? perhaps this where they are too honest, another dealer may charge you the £40 for the service and then £40 for another hours labour during MOT to check the work that has just been done

3. According to my receipt they greased/lubricated all hinges and linkages and changed Oil and Oil/Fuel Filters.

4. Greenmeadow Commercials Ltd, Gypsy lane, Swindon SN2 8DH (01793 484443)

Worth mentioning that when I dropped my Motorhome off there were 3 others in their car park as well.

(!)

I will be giving them a try soon. so watch this space.

They don't remove the roadwheels to check the brakes on an MOT and a lot of places don't do it as a standard part of the service either. Things like checking lights, wipers etc are a relatively small part of the service, most of the time element is taken up with the oil and filters changing, just getting at the fuel filter on some vehicles is tricky enough.

D.

Archived