reverse bulb with buzzer.

Brian Peters

hi all, sorry about the same message twice, hit the wrong key.

anyway to the point, i want to purchase a reverse bulb with built in buzzer to warn people of my intention to reverse. I found them on the internet at £2.99 and its just a simple bulb swop, but the post and packing was a huge £8.30, how can people justify this postage on a very light object, that makes it over £11.00. Does anyone know where i can get one cheaper?

Thanks.

Brian

Brian Peters - 2009-07-11 4:36 PM

but the post and packing was a huge £8.30, how can people justify this postage on a very light object, that makes it over £11.00.

Thanks.

Brian

It is an e-bay ploy. Since the seller pays e-bay commison on the sales value but not on the p&p value, they inflate the latter to enable them to reduce the selling price.

They are illegal anyway!

UK Construction and Use regulations allows the fitting of reversing alarms to Commercial vehicles over 2 tonne gross weight, passenger vehicles with 9 or more seats, engineering plant and works trucks. The time restriction of use is the same as that applicable to sounding your horn in built up areas at night.

Anything taxed any form of "Private" is not classed as a commercial vehicle.

Get a camera.

C.

What always worries me about using a reversing alarm is that drivers frequently act as if it gives them the right to reverse without being totally sure its clear behind. There are a lot of deaf people around, especially those with headsets and Ipods! Some of the biggest culprits are people in shopping centres on mobility scooters that cannot turn their heads to look behind, just bleep and hope!

This is why I do not advocate them. Camera is best.

C.

Hi Brian,

J & M Goods at any of the shows £3-00, plus entry fee to the show. Some of these guys want to get real, the beep from one of these bulbs is hardly Big Ben, illegal who cares as long as it serves a purpose. Do as I have fit one and a reversing camera. One word of warning though, if your M/H electrical system is canbus, the replacement bulb must be exactly the same as you take out, 12vX21Watt?? or it could send the system haywire?.

Em.

Isn't the law only applicable on the public road? Would not a beeper be a useful extra whilst reversing on a camp site?

A switchable beeper will add to my Yorkshire "belts and braces" attitude. It's just one of my round tooit Jobs. It will be on a separate circuit to the reversing lights and used at my discretion.

:-D

Strange. I was looking at them on the intranet at the weekend. The ones that took my eye were advertised as suitable for SUVs. No mention of motorhomes. Good job I didn't buy in haste and end up breaking the law. Probably explains why dealers do not fit them as extras on new vans at inflated prices.

What about your insurance if you've got one of these bulbs fitted?

Insurance companies deem the policy void if your vehicle is not road worthy - having one of these fitted would not constitute a MOT pass as mentioned in a previous post, and therefore your insurance is void.

So hyperthetically you could be warning someone that you are about to reverse, reverse and not see that they aren't out the way and knock them down.Then be privately sued as your insurance is void. Somehow that bulb doesn't look quite so appealing.

Hi There,

I take it you don't live the UK then ?. Coming back from Scotland last year, I stopped and parked next to Three Traffic police cars in a car park in Langholme, When I wanted to continue on my way, 8 of them upon hearing my reverse buzzer , casually stepped to one side, for me to reverse out, with a cheery wave. No, buck him Danno!! (To young to remember that Eh)

Em.

Archived