SOG Toilet System

Over the years we have bought many "must have" accessories most of which have been a waste of time and money. The SOG is the best and most worthwhile of the lot.

Easy to fit for a competent DIYer it comes with easy to follow instructions. All that is needed is to fit a micro switch by the blade mechanism and drill a hole in the door for the fan unit. If the wiring for the water pump passes through the cassette compartment all the better as you need a 12v supply.

We change our 'van regularly (2 to 3 years) but as we spend about 7 months of the year in it the SOGs pay for themselves.

Benefits:

1) No need for chemicals

2) Waste can be emptied into septic tanks without problems (some chemical additives can stop septic tanks from working)

3) No nasty smells in the 'van as the extractor fan takes smells out to the outside even during use. (the fan starts as soon as the blade is opened).

Andy points out the biggest flaw. That is the smell when you empty it. There are no chemicals to mask the smell. The waste breaks down pretty well but the smell, similar to neat ammonia, is something you have to get used to. I manage by not breathing for the few seconds it takes to empty most of the waste. You also have to ensure you close the waste trap completely otherwise the fan stays on.

I find I have to clean the toilet bowl slightly more frequently. I presume the chemicals usually include a mild cleaner.

I'm glad I have one. Mine was fitted by Hambilton Enginering when they were doing other word on the van. The extra cost was insignificant compared with the risk of me damaging a new van.

It is a British invention taken up by the Germans.

Brock - 2009-07-12 11:58 AM

Andy points out the biggest flaw. That is the smell when you empty it. There are no chemicals to mask the smell. The waste breaks down pretty well but the smell, similar to neat ammonia, is something you have to get used to. I manage by not breathing for the few seconds it takes to empty most of the waste.

Actually, what we do is to use a dose of BioMagic when the cassette is getting close to needing to be emptied. Seems to work fairly well.

Andy

Great system we had ours fitted but having seen what was involved I think a competant DIYer would cope easily. I think not using chemicals and therefore able to empty anywhere down a loo, and not having that toilet chemical smell in the van far outways the few seconds of smell when emptying. I try to break my own hold your breath record every time. Well worth the money.

Guest Tracker
breakaleg - 2009-07-12 2:52 PM

I find that if yiu empty it everyday, the smell isn't to bad, but the cess pit on some cl's are far worse.

Pete

But if you are touring it is not always possible to empty it every day - even if you do fancy having that as a daily task, and finding or having to find a suitable waste point daily rather than 3 or 4 daily would be a real pain?

The chemical is not that expensive, it keeps the pongs at bay and, as things stand, I remain to be convinced that a SOG is a worthwhile investment unless you intend to keep the van for many years and /or use it a heck of a lot?

Guest JudgeMental

If you are stuck you can empty into a toilet with a clear conscience as no nasty chemicals involved.......

We used chemicals for years and I certainly do not miss it at all *-)

We have one and when we are on a site emptying everyday is just part of my routine, that and the grey watse. When travelling round, if we are on an aire in France or on a CL site I do it before moving off, then if I can't get it emptied when we stop it doesn't matter too much.

I have asked to be able to empty it, and so far never been refused, at a garage, a motorhome dealers' toilets and as a last resort you can use the MHSP at larger sites for a small fee. You can top up water there and have a shower if you have an aversion to using your vans'!

If you do it everyday then there isn't really any smell to bother with, and it is your own smell after all!! 8-)

Guest peter
If you have a fairly new van with the bench toilet with the wheeled casette, make sure you read all the info' on the SOG unit first. As I cannot fit one to my Burstner Marano van as the casette is too close to the door. I would need to have the vent going out through the roof and consider it not worh the hassle. Find out if you can fit one before you buy. Otherwise they are brilliant.

As far as we are concerned, the primary advantage of a SOG system is that it minimises 'toilet odours' within the motorhome's bathroom.

The external carbon filter should reduce smells reaching the outside air, but it definitely won't stop them completely. It's important to bear this in mind if you have a safari room that will encloses the SOG external outlet. It's also wise to ensure that any window near (particularly above) the SOG external outlet is shut before using the toilet!

Installation should normally be straightforward for a competent DIYer, though Peter's warning about lack of space may well apply to other models of Thetford toilet. Certainly, the more space there is behind the cassette-locker door the simpler the fitting should be.

Masses of earlier SOG-related stuff on the forum that should be accessible via the SEARCH facility.

Brilliant piece of kit, no van should be without one. Easy to install.

As for emptying smells I find if only gets a bit wiffy after driving with a fullish tank, where possible we empty daily mainly to avoid being caught out as we find the swivel bowel waste tank is full in 2 days if 2 of us are using it for every visit, the old bench one would last up to 4 days.

Keep thinking about getting a spare waste tank but a 100 quid to store a load of crap hurts!

If you are contemplating carrying a 2nd toilet cassette, don't forget about cassette ventilation.

When a normal Thetford cassette is inserted into a gas-locker, this action opens a valve in the cassette that (at least in theory!) allows air to pass into and out of the cassette, thus preventing a build up of pressure within the cassette as the waste decomposes. When the cassette is removed from the locker, the valve shuts to prevent waste leaking out. So, if you carry a waste-filled cassette outside the locker, there is the potential for high pressure to develop within the cassette and no means for that pressure to be released until the cassette is emptied. Not sure how real the risk is of this causing problems, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Cassettes that have been 'SOGed', or fitted with Thetford's ventilation hose, will have had their pressure-valve removed, but some thought should still be given to how the cassette is to be sealed for travel and the potential effects of pressure build-up.

Fiamma markets a plastic box ("Porta-Kassett") that is intended to be fixed beneath a leisure-vehicle's chassis and carry a spare Thetford C-200 cassette. To insert/remove the cassette, the box is hinged downwards and a lid removed. This is probably the tidiest way to carry an extra cassette as long as the motorhome has the necessary ground clearance and below-chassis space.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-07-14 7:40 AM

When a normal Thetford cassette is inserted into a gas-locker,

How odd most of use keep gas bottles in the gas locker!

The Fiamma box sounds good, but if you are going to store the full tank in the van & use a SOG just remember to put a dose of chemical in thank.

Guest Tracker

And do be aware that if you travel with a full cassette it will pressurise itself if you change elevation - as it will by itself if left to ferment - which means that exceptional care is needed when depressurising it to empty it!

This is best done with the depressure valve on the cassette at the highest point because the very same vent that lets air in or out to equalise pressure will also let unpleasant liquid out if the pressure is higher inside than outside the cassette!

And a little bit can go a long way!

We have a SOG fitted and would always have one fitted on a new van. As we often are not on site, being able to use the loo for everything and follow the other in without the use of a peg is worth it's wait in gold. No chemicals -wonderful as you can empty anywhere even in a domestic toilet if you have to. The smell on emptying? well yes there is but for the briefest of moments (even I can hold my breathe that long) and better than sitting in a bathroom with that smell lingering! I have never been aware of any smell outside the motorhome so obviously my filter is still working.

We had ours fitted at a show so couldn't comment on diy, but it didn't look too difficult. One small point to remember, we had to have a longer hose from the cassette to the door as when we open it, the door opens downwards and would therefore have put strain on the hose until disconnected.

It also helps with emptying in general asseveral european countries are not allowing certain chemicals. I believe that all new Hymers are being produced with SOG fitted as standard.

I have had a SOG fitted to my last 2 vans (conveniently I live near Symonspeed), but have never had the nerve to use them without a small amount of chem. (I know, belt and braces).

However just changed vans again so no SOG and I can't get used to the silence (lol) when enthroned. It feels very strange without the slight hum of the fan.

(I do appreciate the humerous opportunities in the last para.)

Archived