Glasson Dock Anyone

gordonaldson

Hi Gays and Gals.

It seems that some Motorhomers know of this little gem of a place in Lancashire from what I found out when visiting there yesterday.

After turning off the A588 into the A5290 you come to a new mini roundabout, go straight on here and not over the little bridge for good reasons. Head on Ship road past a big car park on your left then instead of turning left over the swing bridge with lights go straight on to what looks like a dead end but I found a car park here opposite the Victoria Hotel.

A Tag axle swift was parked here and later on another Motohome.

Is this a park for Motorhomes who have got permission from the Victoria Hotel I don't know but mybe someone can enlighten us.

I talked to a guy in the dock area and he told me that there is regularly 3 or 4 Motorhomes outside the Dalton Arms in the evenings.

Dalton Arms is just over the swing bridge.

Lovely village with large dock area at end of Lancashire canal. See internet under Glasson Dock for picy's.

Worth visiting for walks, canal views, boats, Hotel grub and ale.

Its in my must see places to stay overnight.

Hope I get answers to this thread and I recon I will..

Thanks Motorhomers...

Tony Jones - 2009-07-12 10:13 PM

Went there years ago, when we lived up north, and yes, it's a lovely spot. But sorry, I've no idea what the legal/ownership situation is now.

We've got a few people on here who are still northerners - maybe they'll come on and enlighten us.

Tony

once a northerner always a northerner surely Tony. ;-)

Not been to Glasson for many years, we used the car park on left before the bridge, it was manned and the height barrier [when in use] was opened without any problem. Presumably it's been developed and built up and blocked off by now. You used to be able to park over the bridge and sharp right - along the lock - then walk round the back for vast quantities of locally smoked foods and sticky toffee pudding mmmmm

If you're in the area, we also used to enjoy a trip to Knot End and Fleetwood - where there used to be lots of street parking.

hi gordonaldson

have been there on a few weekends on motorbike & seen MH parked there on several occasions too. why didnt you ask at victoria hotel? try giving them a call & see what they say, or have a drive down as your not too far away them you can let us know (lol)

Yes sadly to say the height barriers are still there at the big car park on left. There was a booth at the barriers but whether it was the wrong day, no one was in it.

I must make note that long Motorhomes may have problems negotiating after Victoria Hotel due to tight bends and narrow roads, maybe thats why the tag axle swift was parked up prior to the bridge.

And yes it does seem to be a haunt for bikers at the Cafe between swing bridge and Victoria Hotel. Well the older type of biker when we were there.

Will ask further about Hotel parking next time I am down.

Nice place though for sitting watching boaters.

gordonaldson - 2009-07-13 8:49 PM

Yes sadly to say the height barriers are still there at the big car park on left. There was a booth at the barriers but whether it was the wrong day, no one was in it.

I must make note that long Motorhomes may have problems negotiating after Victoria Hotel due to tight bends and narrow roads, maybe thats why the tag axle swift was parked up prior to the bridge.

And yes it does seem to be a haunt for bikers at the Cafe between swing bridge and Victoria Hotel. Well the older type of biker when we were there.

Will ask further about Hotel parking next time I am down.

Nice place though for sitting watching boaters.

hey hey were not "older bikers" just maturer well some of the time :$ :$

Archived