Mobilvetta Euroyacht 170LX

springerspaniel

Hi

I had a 190LX from new of similar vintage (2.8 manual).

Found the build quality and reliability to be excellent.

I don't recall there being any issues with this make/model - just not very popular in the UK.

My advice would be to take it for a test drive.

Clive

There was a 'brief' test report on a Euroyacht 170 in MMM (November 1996) and a report on a Euroyacht 180 in Which Motorcaravan (January 1996). Not sure how relevant these will be to a 1998 model, though.

I believe 1998 Euroyachts would have been constructed on Iveco RWD heavy-duty chassis, offering plenty of payload but high-ish fuel consumption. As Clive says, Euroyachts were rare in the UK and an automatic version must be very rare indeed (I hadn't realised an automatic had been available - at least not in RHD).

Spares relating to the Mobilvetta part of a Euroyacht may well be hard to come by nowadays (eg. bodywork mouldings) and it would be worth trying to establish which windscreen was used, as (if it was unique to the Euroyacht) it could cost a fortune should it need replacement. Otherwise it's mainly a matter of confirming that everything is in good working order, particularly expensive 'habitation' items like the heater and fridge.

Thanks for your comments it is a lhd Semi automatic; no clutch. We will take a look, and perhaps post the outcome, I cant find any information as to how much these are worth now, being a 1998 model, with 66,000 on the clock. This is our first motorhome so fingers crossed we find a good one!

Hi Springerspaniel,

Nice motorhomes and an absolute peach if you get one that has been looked after as they are (usually if not always??) on a heavy duty Iveco chassis as mentioned above. I believe Mobilvetta started out as a furniture manufacturer and this shows in the quality of the interior woodwork.

I notice that you are a new user and that this will be your first motorhome. You haven't said where your home is but the Euroyacht may have one potential issue for you if you live within or plan to go into the London Emission Zone (LEZ). As any Euroyacht will almost certainly exceed 3500 kg max weight, then I believe that it would be subject to restrictions within the LEZ to a punitive extent.

Boris Johnson recently suspended forthcoming restriction for vehicles up to 3500 kg but I believe I am correct in thinking that regs are still in force for larger vehicles of the age of your proposed purchase. If anybody knows different, then I will be happy to stand corrected.

Sorry I can't answer your preceding question and I hope that the LEZ will not be of any concern to you.

Nobby

Although my Euroyacht (190LX) was built on the Ducato Maxi chassis (3800kg) it was plated by Mobilvetta at 3500kg. I believe that this is quite a common occurrence with continental manufacturers as driving and other restrictions for vehicles plated over 3500kg are more draconian than our own?

It would have been a fairly simple procedure to re-plate at 3800kg, but never bothered after weighing up the pros and cons.

It certainly made re-selling easier as there was a higher buyer base.

Clive

I believe Euroyachts could be built on Ducato FWD or Iveco RWD chassis and I'm guessing from the 'no-clutch-pedal' that this 170LX is on an Iveco base. If that's the case, then it's doubtful that it could be run legally at 3500kg and still offer any sort of useful payload.

I think the Iveco chassis offered a maximum weight of at least 4000kg and, although it wasn't that unusual for Iveco-based motorhomes to be 'down-plated' to 3500kg for Continental markets (I know Laika used to do it), it was really a joke.

Archived