European recovery

Cookster

Hi

We have a 84 VW T25 campervan which we are taking to europe for a month & would like some breakdown cover Brittania will cover us for UK & Euro recovery for 180 quid which is a better deal than the AA or RAC but not sure if they are any good, also looked at ADAC a german company which looks a really good deal at 70 quid for UK & europe but heard good & bad about them specially with older vehicles if they think the vehicle is beyond economical repair then they won't get it home they insist that you just scrap it!

The annoying thing is that after the hols the T25 will be going in the workshop for a respray & stuff & will probably be there most the winter but a month policy is as much as an annual one.

Hopefully we won't need to use it but you have to have it just in case.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cookster

I think you will find that the Club's recovery only goes to 10-15yrs old vehicles

My insurance Safeguard's does up to 20yr old vehicles.

I think you will need to insure through a Classic Vehicle Insurance Company

If I'am wrong, it will not be to long before i'm corrected :-D

Dave

ps. Just had a quick thought. make inquiries with the VW club, seeing as your 's is 25yr's old.

Hi,

T25? Is that the 4x4 thingy?

Britannia have recovered my 1957 Land Rover. Also my 1965 Land Rover plus caravan. Also my 1960 Land Rover. There was a problem with the 1965 LR, cos I had filled the diesel tank with petrol, said it wasn't a proper breakdown. They would only take me to the drivers depot, where I had to pay them to drain the tank.

£180 seems a bit steep though, or are you going for the full bells and whistles.

My son, 1980 Triumph Spitfire, got talking to a Britannia driver. Says that Britannia charge the least, and pay the recovery firm the most.

I have also been told that the two big firms try to use their own vehicles, so can spend an hour waiting for one to become available, before calling in a local garage.

My wife's SAAB was opened up from end to end by a lorry's tail lift. After chasing him and phoning me his registration, she stopped to chat to a police driver parked on one of those elevated parking places along the M4. PC said to call for recovery cos she had lost all her lights. PC expressed amazement when the recovery truck arrived 20 minutes later.

I am with ADAC (Germany) about £90 covers breakdown /recovery all over Europe including the UK regardless of what vehicle you are in.

They are good, and I have a friend who was driving a 22 year old vehicle when it broke down. They put him in a hotel, and found someone to repair it, and it was delivered to the hotel. All at nil cost!

Geoff

I can highly recommend Britannia Rescue. I have been a member since its inception and have, unfortunately, had to call them out to a flat battery in a pretty remote spot in Spain - they were with me in an hour! I'm surprised at the cost you have been quoted though, I pay a lot less than this but I am a member of the Civil Service Motoring Association (who owned Britannia until last year) and get a discount on the subscription and my 'van is less than 3 years old.

I've also been told by recovery vehicle drivers that Britannia pay them the best rates, which perhaps explains their quick call-out response.

Hi Hallii

How did you join up with ADAC can you let me know, filled out the online form but that was a bit vague could not fill my address in properly no space so not sure if it will be OK, also no sure how to pay they just asked for bank details or they would send a bill, tried to email them but no response.

Does seem like the best deal for me

Cookster

I had the same problem with the online form, so I sent them an email with all my details and authorised them to take the money from my Visa card quoting the long number but not the security one on the back. I asked them to ring me if they needed that. They didn't and my membership card arrived in the post in about 2 weeks.

If you ring them and ask for English they will put you onto an English speaking operator.

If you have a look at the website (use Google Translate on the Home Page)

and go to "Important Numbers" you will see, on the right and at the bottom a photo and info on joining in English with a PDF form in English to download.

It says "Join ADAC! All information on ADAC membership available in English. Enjoy our valuable benefits. More" Just click on more and you are there.

Geoff

My towbar electrics were ripped off causing an electrical failure on a French Bank Holiday about 6 weeks ago. Brittania Rescue were fantastic. It only turned out to be a broken fuse so the recovery person managed to get me going. I pay only £105 for 12 months UK and Europe cover which also includes recovery, hotel costs and car hire etc.

Thanks everyone

Called ADAC they were really helpfull gave me a membership number & joined me up as from the 1st Aug, going to post the paperwork so I can fax cc details.

Cheers Hallii

Hopefully I won't need it!

Cookster

Big Momma - 2009-07-14 1:49 PM

Have you tried the Clubs ( CC and C&CC) (?)

Who are you insured with as my insurer (Safeguard) provides UK & European Breakdown cover as part of the policy (?)

Ditto you gets what you pay for safeguard have been good to us abroard

michele - 2009-07-24 3:00 PM

Big Momma - 2009-07-14 1:49 PM

Have you tried the Clubs ( CC and C&CC) (?)

Who are you insured with as my insurer (Safeguard) provides UK & European Breakdown cover as part of the policy (?)

Ditto you gets what you pay for safeguard have been good to us abroard

Agree michele, safeguard have always provided me with good service. I also have Annual multi trip personal accident and medical emergency cover with them. leave for Spain tomorrow, now seeing all the fires, hope I won't have to use any of it :-(

Archived