The Isle of Skye

libby

Following Ireland we went to the IOM then Scotland and Skye.

In all the journeying there was not a midge in sight.

There were plenty of wild camping spaces, some well hidden in off road positions amongst the heather. Skye was totaly different to what I had thought, all roads perfect, even the single track ones out in the wilds.

Very little traffic, very few visitors.

Skye is a great place to visit with a motorhome...although not all locals are welcoming as we saw a sign on the way to the stein inn...the oldest inn on Skye saying...tourists not welcome......probably white settlers!!!!!

Also the rest of the northern highlands of Scotland are a wonderful place to tour in a motorhome....lots of wild camping spots...and the scenery is wonderful.

I believe you Libby because we were on Skye end June / early July and not only was there not a single midge in sight but for the most part we had exceptional weather as well. In fact we travelled up the West Coast from the southern tip of the Mull of Kintyre to Inverewe, via Skye, and not a midge to be seen on all out travels except one damp evening near Oban.

Torvaig Caravan and Camping Park, Portree.

We stayed there in June - £5 per person per night. £2 electricity.

Very good site - slopes so ramps will be needed. Some hardstandings arer available. Just turn up - no bookings are taken. Payment is on a day by day basis. Sanitary facilities are very good. There is also a washing machine and drying lines. Very friendly and helpful staff.

North of Portree - about 30 minutes to walk back up the hill from Portree.

Glad to hear about the lack of midges libby

we are off up to Morvich CC site next week really looking forward to it. We intending to have day out round the isle of skye site seeing etc got a good book of 40 short easy walks off amazon the 'pocket mountian'.

Also need to stock up on whiskey did you get to the distillery???

Cheers

Don't worry, Libby, I believe you, I'm just absolutely gob-smacked1

Went there 10 years ago and got eaten alive and vowed never to return!

Might be tempted next year, if that's the case. Although Ennerdale last year had them and we got eaten alive in the Dales three weeks ago.

Just another product of devolution, I ask myself?

Archived