Urgent Help required

franfm

I have just been advised that a friend has purchased on e-bay a LWB Ford Transit campervan (a newbie to motorcaravaning) - due to view and pay for on Saturday. Carrying out HPI etc. I was concerned that he did not know the name of it and got further details. It was advertised as a professional conversion (no converter, no model name), 2004 registered, with over 130,000 + on the clock - sale price £6,000. All my alarm bells were ringing and I asked him to check the converter - the vendor advised that it was a conversion done 2 1/2 years ago by MacLaren Sport and was an autosleeper. I have no knowledge of an autosleeper conversion called MacLaren, I am not aware that autosleeper would sub contract a conversion to another company, though of course they do do customer specified conversion and presumably would do a customer specified conversion on a customer acquired van - though on a high mileage van????.

My questions -

is it likely that autosleepers would sub contract to another company to do the conversion?

has anyone heard of an autosleeper maclaren

is 130,000+ mileage high for a 2004 registered van

If he goes up to view - what should he look for on the paperwork to see what is going on with this vehicle.

Sounds like it was a well hacked company van before conversion 5k-10k per year is more normal mileage for a motor home.

Provided it's been serviced regularly 130K is not that much for a trany, have a good look for the rust worm high mileage trany's tend to get eaten badly.

franfm - 2009-07-16 7:30 PM

I have just been advised that a friend has purchased on e-bay a LWB Ford Transit campervan (a newbie to motorcaravaning) - due to view and pay for on Saturday. Carrying out HPI etc.

If he goes up to view - what should he look for on the paperwork to see what is going on with this vehicle.

Has purchased or hoping to purchase?

If bid and won on eBay then a contract to buy has been made, if your friend decides to not complete sale if I was seller I'd not be impressed, unless of cause it was not as described.

Hopefully the price reflects that the conversion has been carried out on a high mileage base vehicle, if so it should offer a cheap intro to motorhoming.

In reality 130k is not that high on a 5 year old trany just high for a motorhome.

Thank you very much for all the responses especially for the provision of the link to mclaren sports homes - a firm I had never heard of. As my friend uses a van for his work and has contacts in the motor trade I am less worried about his knowledge of the base vehicle and much more about his lack of knowledge in respect of the pit falls of sub standard conversions.

For a van to be advertised as professionally converted, with no convertor named - had my alarm bells ringing.

Your responses have been most helpful, thank you again.

My advise would be not to touch it with a very long barge pole ! As regards the rules of bidding on Ebay, retract the bid and suffer a negative feedback, much better than buying a load of trouble, 130,000 miles, they must be joking 8-)

On the Ford Transit forum you will find some vehicles of under 2 years old have done that kind of mileage. Like one ot two others I would not be that concerned as the price takes account of the high mileage for a campervan which is clearly a conversion done on a customer's base vehicle.

Thanks for the link to e-bay - following receipt of the earlier link to them - as both a converter and supplier of motorhome accessories. I checked out their e-bay seller feedback. Twas mainly for gas pipe type accessories - couldn't see a motorhome.

I am extremely grateful for the advise supplied - I knew if I came here I would get fast and good responses. My friend has now as much info of what to look for as your responses and my additional research can provide - what he does and what the result I await to hear.

My thanks once again. You have all been most helpful.

Archived