french campsite close to water

wints

My sister is looking for a campsite in France very close to water so that her dog can go for its daily paddle. Approx 1 days drive from Calais. I'm sure we've passed a few but not being dog owners we can't remember them.

Regards

Allen

There are a couple down near Millau on the Gorge du Tarn. But if she is happy for a sea paddle she could do worse than Chatelaillon Plage, just South of La Rochelle. The site is called Camping Port Punay and it is in the CC Europe book 1( page 271 in the 2007 version), or Alan Rogers, page 135, again 2007 copy. They also have a web site www.camping-port-punay.com

We have syaed there and it is a really nice site with good facilities and is very handy for walking the dog on the prom or beach.

Beware, last year the river that runs through the Gorge du Tarn had a disease that was killing dogs , we wanted to take the dog on a canoe trip with us but they would not allow it , we thought it was because that they did not like dogs but it was explained to us that dogs had been banned from the river because of this disease

We stayed last year on a Municiple beside the Loire it was at Muides-sur-Loire the GP co-ordinates are N 47.671761 W 1.525533 it was just off the N2152 it isnt a fancy site the showers etc; were basic but the locality beside the river was very pleasant on grass.

The one that I went to was at camping La Dunes near Les sables D.Olonne in west France there is a lovely beach just out side the camp gate and Les Sables is just a short ride from there and they are very dog friendly it is about 280 miles from Caen not sure how far from Calais but know that motorhomers were doing it in a day

Tomo3090 - 2009-07-17 3:31 PM

she could do worse than Chatelaillon Plage, just South of La Rochelle. The site is called Camping Port Punay and it is in the CC Europe book 1( page 271 in the 2007 version), or Alan Rogers, page 135, again 2007 copy. They also have a web site www.camping-port-punay.com

We have syaed there and it is a really nice site with good facilities and is very handy for walking the dog on the prom or beach.

We've stayed there too, it is really nice, AND the site accepts the ACSI card too.

Ina.

Municipal site at Brantome although it hass been privatised this year. The new owner has put in a superb swimming pool and new toilets.

The owner runs an excellent site. A river runs round more than half the emplacements. 1 Km stroll to Brantome town which is georgeous.

Thanks to all who have replied, however, I think all the sites recommended are too far away from Calais.

I should have mentioned that they will be towing a caravan, and it's their 1st time in France. I think a limit of 100 miles or 1/2 a days drive from Calais would be more appropriate.

Thanks

Allen

How about overnighting at Camping Municipal Beausejour Arques, near St Omer - several lakes adjacent. If it's more than a day trip out and back, then the Municipal at Guise next to the canal complete with a dog-enticing little bay at the edge of the site followed by Camping Departmental du Lac des Veilles-Forges at Les Mazures - lovely location in woodland next to huge lake plus more dog walks than you can shake a stick at. Oh and all three are cheap as chips and have very friendy/helpful staff too.

Bob

Archived