Novice Motorhomer in Sardinia? Can I do it?

natalleyem

Hello there,

Can you help?

Have always wanted to own a motorhome and have decided to hire one whilst on Sardinia next week. Have previously driven left hand drive 4x4 and successfully driven Minibuses and long wheel base '73 Landie about rural Wales, how do you think I fair?

I want to follow Southwest coast road from Cagliari all the way round and on up to Oristano and Bosa. Am going to purchase additional excess cover in the event of any bumps.

Saw a video on U-Tube that looked horrific!

Please advise, I'm about to book. I'm also considering visiting a local dealer to drive a couple before departing.

Many many thanks

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

To me there are 2 issues here. 1 regarding driving a motorhome and 2 driving one in Sardinia.

Although I drive a motorhome and are happy and confident to do so (7.39m long) many people are surprised that I do in the UK and Europe. So really it's down to whether you feel confident. Have you considered hiring one in the UK for a long weekend to see how you fair on roads that you know and therefore when you go abroad you've only got to worry about the roads so to speak.

I have no idea what the roads and driving conditions are like in Sardinia so over to someone else on that point I'm afraid.

Good luck with your decission and holiday.

You probably won't be able to reduce the excess, we hired a couple of times in Germany before taking the plunge.

We had a 1000€ excess each time which we could not cover with additional insurance.

When we took the Hymer B class back they didn't notice the badly scratched door mirror where I had an argument with a lamppost, Luckily it was plastered in dead flies when we returned it.

Hi Natalie not about hiring but driving in Sardinia, did the whole island Sept/Oct 2006 fantastic very beautiful and peaceful at that time of year, free camped the whole time but you have to search for these spots, go for it if hiring is OK.

:-) :-)

Archived