Machzone - split charge

Hippy Chick

We have owned a 1999 Machzone Soverign Eclipse since May this year and until recently did not realise that the leisure batteries were not being charged when the vehicle is running. Does this mean a) it doesn't have a split charger or b) it has one but there is a problem. We will be happy to receive any/all advice as the photocopied handbook/docs we got with it do not extend to wiring diagrams and have very little information on the electrics . :'(

The 'Split charger' is just a relay that gets energized when either the Ignition is switched on or the alternator starts turning and the 'red no charge' light goes out on the dashboard. There should be another one that does exactly the same to power the fridge when it is switched to 12v operation.

The relay or the 'split charger' just shares the output from the alternator to both the vehicle battery and the Leisure battery.

So,you are looking for a small square,box about 1" with 4 or 5 wires leading into it, either under the bonnet, probably near the battery, or behind the accomodations control panel. And they do fail sometimes.

I'm not a vehicle electricion and I don't have a Machzone, just general stuff from working on my own van,(succesfully !) Good luck ! :D

Guest Tracker

I would expect there to be some sort of control panel for the 12 v system in the habitation area - possibly a 'Zig' unit which were the predominant makers in years gone.

This would have various fuses and switches and lights, depending on model, most of which is self explanatory and there may be a fault here or just a blown fuse - or even just an incorrect setting - if you are very lucky!

There should also be inline fuse(s) close to the leisure battery(ies?) and these may have blown, as they sometimes do, when the leisure batteries are so flat that they take too much charge from the alternator.

However your posting only mentions lack of charge from the engine which suggests that they do charge on mains - in which case the inline fuses close to the battery - if you have them are probably OK?

Which brings us back to the engine battery relay or fuses in that area or the 12v control panel or a bad earth contact somewhere.

Do you have a handbook to refer to?

Archived