Euro Mobil Advice

kevandali

Hi Everyone, Callng all Euro Mobil users (think that's you Judge?)

We have found a dealer that has bought in several Euro Mobil's and we are considering changing the van.

I had a look round yesterday and was really impressed with the build quality and storage available.

We have seen the two models below which have both been imported for the UK market with RHD, full cooker, fridge freezer etc.

EURA/> MOBIL/>/> ACTIVA 690 HS 3.0 JTD 6 BERTH

EURA/> MOBIL/>/> ACTIVA 690 HS 2.3 JTD 6 BERTH

My question is, what is the advantage of the 3.0 litre compared to the 2.3 litre.

I assume, probably incurrectly that if the 2.3 litre is man enough to haul the van arround, it would be better on mpg?

Both vans are on a fiat but will ask about the reversing problem, thing is, I think our present van might have the reversing problem but have possibly reversed up hill twice in three years.

As always any help much appreciated.

Kev

I can't find any technical details of the current-model Activa 690HS, but the photos on this link

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=SHD1515015&Style=2&Id=AETV47096086&Make=EURA%20MOBIL&Model=ACTIVA%20690%20HS&City=Nottingham

indicate that it's a fair size motorhome with a substantial frontal area.

You'd be wise to prefer the version with the 3.0litre motor. This option adds about 65kg over the 2.3litre version and you'd need to ensure that the vehicle has been constructed on a 4250kg chassis, not a 3500kg one. Even if you chose the 2.3litre-motor variant, you should make sure it's on a 4250kg chassis, otherwise the useful payload will be inadequate. (It's possible that a 4250kg chassis is standard for an Activa 690, irrespective of motor size, but I can't check this.)

If you opted for the 2.3litre version I believe you'd regret it, particularly when it came to overtaking and relaxed cruising. And, because you'd need to work the smaller motor harder to provide equivalent on-road progress to that offered by the 3.0litre, there's every chance the fuel consumption of the smaller motor will be no better (and possibly worse) than that of its big brother.

As far as the reversing characteristic is concerned, received wisdom seems to be that, for anyone requiring a large-ish motorhome and prepared to play Fiat Juddering Roulette, their best bet would be to pick a not-too-heavy model with the 3.0litre engine, built on a 'maxi' chassis (to obtain a lower final-drive ratio) and, when manoeuvring or reversing up hills, treat the vehicle's clutch with extreme TLC.

(By the way, I can't recall ever reversing up a steep hill in 45 years of driving.)

Thanks for the info Derek, I have found out that the actual motorhome we are interested in is a 2.3 litre 130bhp on a 4000kg chassis.

The boss doesn't like the colour sceme of the 3.0litre, will probably have to keep shopping around but at least we have found out the make and model that suits our needs at the moment.

We have a 2002 Euramobil Activa 635, Rear lounge. We love it. It's smaller than those you are looking at, with no dinette area. We love it and have found it very comfortable, it's not good in head winds though due to the height. It's very good for cold weather as it's fully winterised. Look at the payload though - on any m'home you think you'd like to buy. Ours isn't high at 350 kilos, but as we never travel with full tanks, we empty the waste daily and don't windcamp much so usually have no more than 50% water on board (that's 70 kilos) we make our payload better.

Happy hunting!

• 2 weeks later...

The Euromobil got away, this time.

It was quite an eye opener regarding the amount (or lack of it) the dealers are willing to pay for a van as part exchange.

When looking at what they would offer on our van, the dealer just referred to his market value information booklet.

He had one quick look arround the van and no consideration at all was given to the fact that the suspension had been upgraded or how well we have looked after it.

According to him, the van had depreciated by one third of the total value in three years.

The end result was that we said that we would not go ahead, for various reasons and left it at that.

Two hours later they phoned back with an increased offer of an extra £2000 for our van.(amazing, given the fact that 2 hours earlier he could not budge on price)

At least now, we know what to expect, if part exchanging and not selling private.

Archived