carpet query

wild rover

Hello, another query! For those of you with detachable carpets in your MHs, what do you do with the carpet if you're not using it, eg through the winter or if you've got dogs? I've tried rolling ours up, but it seems to be getting all creased. Any magic tips?

Pam

just changed motorhome and first job was to call my carpet fitter to fit carpet in motorhome then carefully roll up loose carpets and store in black bags in attic,when i changed the last motorhome put loose carpets back in and van looked like new.the added advantage to having fitted carpets no gaps around the edges and is very easy to hoover

I roll ours and put in the loft for the summer, I bought a runner that I can pick up and shake, and a floor mop that uses throw away tissue wipes from the £ shop, I find it easier than hoovering in the summer months and its cooler the dog likes to lay on the lino when its hot. It has press studs and goes down easy when it gets cooler.

As we have dogs, we have fitted a piece of carpet in the sitting area to give that cosy feel. This can easily and cheaply be replaced leaving the original loose fitting carpets in perfect condition for when we sell this motorhome. It is also so easy to sweep the motorhome clean. We have never really felt the motorhome cold in our motorhome even during winter.

WE like the feel of carpets, so we went to the carpet warehouse and bought a remnant to fit the M/H it cost £15 and was an un backed good quality piece. I then laid the original on the back of the remnant and marked round it adding around 1 inch and cut it using scissors, it fits a treat, even the colour is better than the original.

The original is now rolled up ready to go back when we sell the van

On our las motorhome, I fitted a carpet to make it snug, but as we've dogs this wasn't the best solution for us. We now use off cuts which if they get dirty (one puppy wasn't too clever at travelling at first if you get the drift) can be taken out and cleaned or chucked and inexpensively replaced. Plus on an off cut will give you plenty of carpet for about a £10.

When we had a caravan I never fitted the carpets just left them rolled up in the loft. By not using them notice lots of gouges & dints in the vinyl floor from stone chippings being trodden in.

In the Motorhome I replaced the one in the washroom with shower matting, removed the ones by the kitchen & door just left the lounge & cab ones, big mistake walked in with cycling shoes on and cracked floor plug where you access spare wheel winder (for those of you who don’t know cycling shoes have metal cleats for clipping on to pedals), oh boy did I get it in the ear from ‘er indoors.

Now have replaced all carpets (except washroom) to protect floor, might as well use them as they cost nearly 300€.

Guest Tracker
If you fit a one piece carpet offcut, fitting underlay under it makes it feel more luxurious and also helps deaden road noise when fitted everywhere (including lockers).

wild rover

If your carpets are getting creased when you roll them then you are probably rolling them too tightly. Personally, we leave our lounge carpet in place, but have removed the carpet from the kitchen area and stored it at home as you always get the odd spill of something. We use a couple of mats in the kitchen area (really cheap at Wilko's). I have a bristle mat in the doorway to wipe our shoes on entry before removal and we keep slippers in the van for normal use. We treat our van the way we treat our house; look after it without being over-fussy and it will stay in good condition and fetch a good price when you sell it.

We have loose carpets and a dog, but would not dream of taking the carpets up except for cleaning, carpets are cheap enough.

What we did was to go to the factory that manufactured the carpets for the converter, chose a more servicable colour and get a new set made, complete with the converter's logo plus a spare one that fits in the shower tray.

If this proves too expensive go to your local carpet supplier/fitter and get them to make a set from an offcut and get the edges "whipped"

Our originals are rolled up on a large diameter cardboard tube, wrapped in plastic and stored indoors, ready for when we sell.

All our previous vans had fitted carpets, the latest has removable.

I much preferred the fitted carpet, less noise as it was fitted under the furniture, and a lot easier to keep clean, with this removable carpet, you have to get it up to sweep underneath it, what a pain.

And why do the people who design vans put light cream/ gold carpets in a van, that's likely to spend most of its time in a field?

sorry, feel better for that.

Pete

we have 2 dogs and fitted carpets in our motorhome. We bought 2 large carpet runners from tesco, they mop up the worst of the dirt and can be thrown in the washing machine after every trip. Our new van on order has detachable carpets, so will wait to see which option is best. B-)

Our former van, a Rapido, came with removable carpets ... and they were removed and spent their time with us in the drawer under a bed! Our current van, a Rimor, didn't come with a carpet of any sort (less expense anyway!).

For both vans I got some rubber backed cotton twill type carpet runners and cut them to shape - being in sections they made for easy removal for beating/cleaning and sweeping the vinyl floor. On our last holiday we removed the carpet altogether and just took 4 washable rubber backed rugs, one went between the front seats (in case we came in that way and needed to wipe our shoes), one at the caravan door (same reason), one near the sink and one near the fridge - nice and warm under the old tootsies! When one of our dogs had an upset tummy and rear end rumblings (!) we were able to wash off the 2 'affected' rugs and store them in the garage in a bag (until we could give them a proper wash at home) ... try doing that with a big piece of removable carpet ... forget it with a fitted one! We found that it was quick and easy to sweep the van every few days - yes, we did get some 'dints' in the vinyl but as it's a wood effect pattern they are very difficult to spot unless you are close up to it, such as kneeling when sweeping out. Not sure whether we'll leave the carpet out in winter though as, as Tracker has said, it will give some insulation to the van.

Archived