European Breakdown Cover

RooJill

We have Breakdown cover with our Barclays Bank A/C,

BUT it only covers our Knaus Motor Home in Europe due to size restrictions!

It is too big for UK cover and about 5mm inside the limit for Europe!

So we have had to get separate UK cover.

Am wondering if we should cover it for Europe as well.

Any one else experienced this?

It strikes me as very odd that "free" breakdown cover would cover Europe, from whence any recovery to your home would be very expensive, but not UK, where the recovery costs would be much lower.  It also strikes me as a little odd that motorhomes, as opposed to cars, would be covered.

Therefore, I wonder if you have confirmation, in writing, from Barclays, that your motorhome is indeed covered in Europe - as you believe it to be. 

Assuming the van is covered, I would also check whether this includes full recovery to your home/specified UK repairer should this be necessary, whether it includes any accommodation costs should repair take longer than one day, and whether it includes recovery following an accident if your van were rendered undriveable. 

The latter may be covered by your vehicle insurance, but do check also whether they cover all costs associated with abandonment of your van, should it be written off in Europe and not repatriated.

I would also suggest you check whether either would cover your costs should you have to leave the van in Europe to be repaired, and then return later to drive it home.

Archived