Christmas markets

DonB

Sorry to use the C-word so early in the year! We are thinking about going to the Christmas markets in Brussels and Aachen, or somewhere else in Belgium/Germany. We have been searching for hours for campsites near Brussels open that time of year with no luck. Before doing the same thing with other towns, does anybody know what the usual procedure is for motorhomes at these markets? Can't believe that no-one goes to the markets in a motorhome! Would there be aires set up specially for the markets? The forum search facility doesn't seem to be working.

Guest Tracker
We too hope to be going to the Christmas markets but we will not bother with sites as long as there are Stellplatz and/or suitable overnight parking arrangements available. If not I hope the ASCI book will be handy!

A favourite Christmas Market of my wife and I is at Valkenburg, in the south of the Netherlands. Not only are the various markets in caves, which means the weather cannot spoil them but there are a couple of 'open-all'year' sites nearby. Stadscamping Den Driesch, while not open all year, is open until Christmas and is only 500 metres from the centre of town ( and even closer to the caves). Maastricht also has a good Christmas Market and is easily reached from Valkenburg by bus or train. See www.campingdendriesch.nl

Hi Guys

we have done the Christmas Markets a time or too

Our favorite and largest is in Germany at Koln right in the heart of the city a number of markets each with its own theme and one of Europe's most spectacular Cathedrals to visit

You also have a Stelplatz in the city just a short train ride from the markets right on the banks of the Rhine

A perfect way to start your Christmas celebrations

:-D (lol)

We went to Belgium last year staying at http://www.campingmemling.be/ in Brugge, there is also an aire in Brugge but it was overflowing and e15 a night. The aire is close to the town and railway, Camping Memling is within walking distance to center of town or catch a bus near site. we also took day trip to Brussels on the train if you are over 60 you can can get a reduced fair.

We visited the xmas markets in Bruges and Brussels last year in early December. We stayed at Camping Memling see earlier post, and visited Brussels by train for the day. Can't remember the cost for the train ticket but remember it was surprisingly cheap! and think it took about an hour.

One thing I do remember about Brussels was the level of the alcohol fumes from the winter wine as we walked around the stalls

cheers alan

There's apparently a CamperStop at 50.840504, 4.361647 (see map below) which looks fairly central.

However, the CamperStop book states that staying in a motorhome over night is not possible in Brussels.

Looks like you'll need to park up to look around then find something just outside before you spend the night.

W2G

brussels.jpg.019ee680c1b72c25b81714cb48f95a83.jpg

Thanks very much Way2Go. Sorry for late reply, we have been visiting various friends in the south and have not been able to get online. Currently sitting in the van at a site near Salisbury watching the rain... We will have to give a bit more thought to this, maybe Brussels was not such a good idea.

To be honest, the Belgian Christmas Markets are nice but not a patch on the French and best-of-all German ones.  The German ones in the small towns are really magical and full of wonder.

If you get a chance check out the popular one at Aachen.  The link is to last year's event but I'm sure the 2009 page will be up soon http://www.aachen.de/en/ts/90_festivals_events/90_30/index.html.

If you send me a PM I'll tell you where there's a great car park close to town for motorhomes.  I don't wanna brag about it here as I don't want to turn up in December and find it full of motorhomes ;-)

There's an excellent Aire at 50.761169, 6.10294 which just on the outskirts of town.

Use the coordinates above to check out the location in Google maps (satellite view) and zoom in to see us waving!!

W2G

Archived