caravan club

wild rover

Some say the CC is anti-motorhome and rigid in the application of rules. Others say the sites are of a high standard. It depends on what you want. Search the forum and you will no doubt unearth lots of opinion.

I've been a member for 19 years and have never had a problem with them. I've always found the sites to be good quality, the wardens helpful, and my insurance the cheapest. Foreign travel service has been good. 

If you want to get away from it, the five van sites (CLs) are usually good. Some of the CC sites have no toilet blocks and are great for motorhomers - they tend to be my favourite.

Others swear by the Caravan & Camping Club, also known as the friendly club. My personal experience is that they are no more friendly than the CC and the sites are usually lower quality.

Try a few of the non-members admitted sites and see what suits.

Sites are getting busy so you might not find you can simply, "get up and go" at weekends if you want to stay on specific sites.

Yes, I am for my sins. I don't think either of the clubs provide anything that could be described as "real" value for money. The CC's site handbook with CL's is useful, but you can pick up old copies at s/h bookstalls. I've never been asked for a membership card by a CL owner. Club sites are overpriced in my view, breakdown costs are a joke, and ferry prices can be matched anywhere.

Expect the moderator to pull this. I don't think criticism of the CC is allowed.

We joined the CC when we bought our van 3 years ago. Only been to one CL so far but several of the main sites.

Absolutely no complaints about standards and never found an anti-motorhome attitude. Indeed, several wardens at sites we visited were motorhome owners.

Also never had any problems with wardens - but freely admit that could be because I have an attitude problem. I greet the wardens with a friendly attitude :-D

Graham

Worth joining at £37 per year, especially if you buy the two "Caravan Europe" continental sites guides, as the member's discount knocks a bit hole in the membership fee.

Whether it is really worth joining will depend greatly how much you use their services.  They have relaxed the formality a lot over the past few years, and are - in my opinion - much the better for it.

As stated above, the sites are relatively expensive and, in my opinion, not of such high quality.  They are generally kept very clean, and the grass cutting is a bit obsessive, but the facilities seem to me on a par with a decent French municipal.

Using many of their sites over weekends will involve booking, for some, several months in advance.  Weekdays are easier.  There seems to be no great resistance to motorhomes.  In fact we used the Roundhill Park site in York last week, and I could have sworn I was on a French "aire".  So much hard surface it was really just a car park, and around 60% of the occupants were in 'vans!  Oh yes, and head warden had a Autotrail in his slot, so was very familiar with what was wanted.

Try then for one year: if you don't like what they have, you can always decline to renew.

Guest Tracker

One of the great joys for us in the CCC is that there are literally hundreds of weekend meets and temporary holiday sites all over the UK and most offering very good vfm without any need to pre book in most cases. So if it precipitates all day on Friday or the dog is ill you don't have to go - or stay - if the location don't suit you.

I understand that the CC do similar meets but they are almost if not all by pre booking only and need to be booked well in advance.

Many who like their camping ordered and predictable and to know well in advance where they are going like this idea and many who prefer to be more spontaneous are less keen.

'Orses for courses I guess!

I suggest you go to the thread 'Buying a first/new motorhome' and look at what I put regarding clubs.

I think Brian Kirby is being rather unfair regarding CC club sites being like good French municipal sites. Often when visiting a new site overseas or a non-club site in the UK we will use the CC as a good yardstik by which to rate the site.

Hi All

We are members of both, and tend to use which ever is nearer to where we want to be. Good thing with both is the quiet rule at 11 pm - nothing worse than being surrounded by kids with stereos belting out till all hours!! Facilities seem to be pretty even. Wardens usually curteous and friendly - big believer in you get back what you give out!! Camping club have passport scheme which gives chance to earn free nights camping. Do find it annoying in peak times tho, when as a member you cant get on as the site is full of non members, coz they pay more!!

On another note - has anyone has any dealings with Timberland? We have new van on order but having communication and delivery issues!! ;-)

Hi we belong to CCC & CC, which we use for sites, as their books are good. However, for rallies and friendship we belong to the MCC - the Motor Caravanners' Club. We find it to really be the "friendliest club" of the lot. Like the others you can get reduced ferry crossings, guide books, monthly mag and the Camping card international. Unlike the others they own no sites, which keeps membership costs down. They also have a "Safe Nights" scheme. This is where members who have a large enough drive or peice of land, allow you to stay on their property for 1 night only free of charge. These are so handy when travelling from one end of the country to the other. We have made so many friends this way, and have been given breakfast and in one case dinner!! The MCC also have regional groups to which you will belong (safe as the others), and they have 2 special interest groups, the photographic and the Country & Western (to which we belong). These groups meet all over the country. Check out the MCC Country and western group at www.countryandwesternmcc.co.uk there are links on there to the MCC main site.

Pam, I am a member of both clubs and have been for the last 7 years. Personally speaking I find the Caravan Club sites a better standard and generally have bigger pitches (better manicured). The Camping and Caravanning Club does tend to be less formal but a lot of their sites are actually more expensive than the CC. Joining both gives a much larger selection of sites around the UK but they are very popular and you do have to book well in advance which tends to take away some of the 'freedom to go at short notice'. However, this is not just confined to the Clubs, most of the popular Commercial sites have to be booked in advance too.

The only 'attitude' I have ever experienced was with a female warden at the Folkestone C&CC site.

Never experienced any anti-motorhome feelings.

For £3 a month (£36 a year) membership it is not expensive and does offer various discounts to members. However, a lot of the sites are open to non-members so why not give them a try first then decide.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your touring wherever your journies may take you

Like anything, shop around for Insurance, Breakdown Cover, Ferry Crossings etc. The clubs will say that they have the best deals but this has proven not to be necessarily accurate.

;-)

I would agree with most of the comments posted about the

caravan Club, the one thing I would mention is that we use them for the european motoring and personal insurance cover and have done for the last 10 years.

Before our motorhome we had the misfortune to own a Renault Espace (& caravan) that broke down on 5 out of 6 holidays, the staff were absolutely fantastic. They were always reasuring on the phone, organised the tow truck, nearest hire car centre (as we always broke down over a long weekend) and couldn't have been more helpful, they might cost a little more but for peace of mind it's well worth it.

Hopefully now we have swapped to a motohome and sold the Espace our breakdowns will be a little less frequent!

Hi,

we are members of both cc and ccc, prefer cc sites and can only describe them and the wardens we have met up to now as 1st class. In fact they have spoilt us from choosing private sites.

Problem is that because you dont pay a deposit with cc people tend to block book the more popular sites & often dont turn up!

The ccc have more choice for overseas rallies ( which we have not used yet ) I think the cc is value for money, the jury is out on the ccc. As someone has said, give it or them a try for a year.

peter.

We are members of the CC and like their high standard of facilities and well kept sites. We joined the C &CC and never again - to us it was the unfriendliest club ever. However you can only go by how you find them, so what suits some doesn't others, but the real problem you will find is booking up sites at peak times!

Brock - 2009-07-21 6:29 PM

Some say the CC is anti-motorhome and rigid in the application of rules. Others say the sites are of a high standard. It depends on what you want. Search the forum and you will no doubt unearth lots of opinion.

I've been a member for 19 years and have never had a problem with them. I've always found the sites to be good quality, the wardens helpful, and my insurance the cheapest. Foreign travel service has been good. 

If you want to get away from it, the five van sites (CLs) are usually good. Some of the CC sites have no toilet blocks and are great for motorhomers - they tend to be my favourite.

Others swear by the Caravan & Camping Club, also known as the friendly club. My personal experience is that they are no more friendly than the CC and the sites are usually lower quality.

Try a few of the non-members admitted sites and see what suits.

Sites are getting busy so you might not find you can simply, "get up and go" at weekends if you want to stay on specific sites.

wot he said

The CCC does offer a useful over 55s discount in low and mid season and on a few sites in high season at their club sites. As already mentioned their temporary holiday sites many with no booking neccesary and prices around £5-£7 pounds per night for unit 2 persons + children takes some beating.

trooper - 2009-07-21 6:59 PM HI Graham I like you have an attitude problem and have found almost nothing but frendliness were ever we have been, even abroad, never had a problem, no there is always 2 sides to every story.

I whole heartily agree with this reply my attitude is that nothing is black and white there is a grey area in the middle its known as compromise or give and take a smile works for me and costs nothing .

We have been members of both clubs for several years but use the CC sites more often for some (unknown - perhaps subconscious) reason.

My only concerns/objections are that:

a) The CC advance booking system is often abused by some who will block book many sites and then not show up - return to a deposit system would help eliminate this selfish practice.

b) Free loaders who use CL/CS sites without joining the clubs and paying their membership fees to help maintain the club they are taking advantage of.

c) Being unable to get into a club site that is full and some of the spaces being occupied by non-members - now that this leisure activity is on the increase the clubs should decide if they are a membership only organisation or return to private site status.

Other than that the sites are of a good, consistent quality.

David

starvin marvin - 2009-07-21 6:33 PM

Yes, I am for my sins. I don't think either of the clubs provide anything that could be described as "real" value for money. The CC's site handbook with CL's is useful, but you can pick up old copies at s/h bookstalls. I've never been asked for a membership card by a CL owner. Club sites are overpriced in my view, breakdown costs are a joke, and ferry prices can be matched anywhere.

Expect the moderator to pull this. I don't think criticism of the CC is allowed.

Your post suggests that although you are not a member you are taking advantage (in both senses) of members' only CL sites. If so, that is not fair.

Guest Tracker
mel wood - 2009-07-22 1:00 PM

starvin marvin - 2009-07-21 6:33 PM

Your post suggests that although you are not a member you are taking advantage (in both senses) of members' only CL sites. If so, that is not fair.

I agree - I am often called a skinflint on here but even I would not go to those lengths for a freebie.

Or it's a super wind up that caught us both out!

I’m also a member of both clubs, I hardly ever you their sites, far too expensive. I hate the attitude of wardens on CC sites I do not like being told how I must park my van & which way it must face.

I’m a member to take advantage of the CL’s & CS’s, contrary to what Marvin says the last couple years every CL & CS I’ve stayed on they have asked for membership details.

I do not like the growing trend especially on CC CL’s of mains hookups & they have increased their prices significantly often doubled & they don’t give a discount if you don’t want mains.

CCC now run the Forestry Commission sites, prices have gone up quite a lot since they took over but you get a £3.50 a night discount if you are a member & outside of high season an additional 30% discount if over 55 which makes the lower facility sites very affordable.

Those accusing Starvin Marvin of being unfair, of being a skinflint, or someone who perhaps likes winding people up, might find that, in future, it's a good idea to actually read a post properly. The first few words of his reply are a clue. "For my sins........"

Archived