Autosleeper

cheetahdavie

Not so much a cry for help,rather a lame appeal for information from the more "experienced" members/"vanners" out there.

I had admired the the older one piece plastic Autosleepers for many a long time and believed they were no longer made?

Now I have spotted a 2007 plated "executive"model on my travels!!

Are these models still made by Autosleeper,or .."replated" etc.?

Any information supplied would certainly increase my little knowledge of

Motor caravanning

you are right in admiring the older autosleepers they were in deed a cracking unit, dry as a bone thanks to construction and inside if treated with respect looks kike new for years, another bonus is they seem to hold their price very well, sold mine on a whim as sometimes i regret it. i beleive the new ones are basically still the same great construction and still made by autosleepers in the uk, i think that nowadays they are part of a bigger concern or i may be way off the mark, no doubt someone will enlighten us. :D

cheetahdavie

I believe you'll find that Auto-Sleepers no longer construct motorhomes with monocoque GRP bodywork. MMM's Buyers' Guide suggests that the Amethyst model is available, but I notice that, although the model-name is listed on the A-S website, there is no information about it.

A-S gradually moved from monocoque to sandwich-panel construction (cheaper, lighter, easier to build) for coachbuilt motorhomes and "Which Motorcaravan's" listings indicate that most monocoque A-S models available in 2006 were no longer being offered in 2007. So a 57-plated Executive is probably one of the last of that particular A-S design.

Autosleepers no longer make the Executive or the Talisman. If you are thinking about buying a second hand one, check the windows because they do have a habit of leaking through them. Experience.... >:-(

Guest Tracker

Sometimes the side windows leak in very heavy rain especially when on the road and this can generally be cured by replacing the window rubber seal (gasket- A/S call it) and the window stays with locking versions which will draw the windows in tighter.

A/S stopped making the monocoque bodies with the demise of the old model boxer as it was seen as too expensive to re tool for the X250.

If you like them get one while you can although in my view the older ones with the more traditional A/S trademark furniture are better made and more durable - if a little old fashioned - but then isn't that the cahrm and appeal of them?

They are not well insulated and not really suitable for winter use in cold climes and unless they have Beeny boxes storage can be a bit of an issue for longer holidays although if there are only two people the overcab bed area will hold a huge amount of clutter as long as you don't want to use it as a bed..

Try and avoid the noisy old 2,5 d or td. A very durable engine but rather agricultural! The 2.0hdi or even better the 2.8hdi are the best engines for these vans but even the 2.0 petrol engines are smooth quiet and pleasant and will do around 21 to 25 mpg which is fine if you don't do high mileages.

We had an Autosleeper Talisman 2.8 hdi we bought it about 7 years ago new and had it for just under 4 years. It was a very good van in most respects.

But as said it did lack insulation and could be cold in winter as we found out in Scotland.

Not only could windows leak at seals but roof lights also.

I also found that the fridge needed refitting correctly, not sealed correctly at the back. Autosleepers never did seem to get this right, along with other makers.

But still say it was a good van that gave little trouble and served us well at little extra expence. It also gave a good trade in value when we came to sell.

Dave

Archived