Fiat Ducato 2002/03

starvin marvin

Does anyone know when the "facelift" on these vehicles took place. I've just looked at a 2.8 jtd 2002 registration and the interior of the cab is clearly different to the 2.8 jtd 2003 model. I'm thinking I may be looking at perhaps a 2001 that was a late registration.

Apart from the appearence and a few changes to the internal spec, where there any other significant changes to the running gear for the 2003 model?

I am sure you will hear from those with more specific knowledge . Our pre facelift ducato was built on a ducato delivered to Murvi in very early 2002.At that time the supply of the early ducato was rapidly drying up and we were not willing to wait for the new model which would doubtless be delivered to the likes of Swift first. I think they started appearing very late 2002 but most models are 2003 onwards.

Apart from looks I think the brakes were improved on the new model( disc brakes all round )but in general the changes were not of an extent to upset those who hsd just purchased the pre facelift 2.8jtd.

bobalobs - 2009-07-23 9:05 AM

I am sure you will hear from those with more specific knowledge . Our pre facelift ducato was built on a ducato delivered to Murvi in very early 2002.At that time the supply of the early ducato was rapidly drying up and we were not willing to wait for the new model which would doubtless be delivered to the likes of Swift first. I think they started appearing very late 2002 but most models are 2003 onwards.

Apart from looks I think the brakes were improved on the new model( disc brakes all round )but in general the changes were not of an extent to upset those who hsd just purchased the pre facelift 2.8jtd.

Thanks for the reply, I currently have a 03 plated model RHD with various cab gizmo's, and looking at a 52 plated model LHD that has a clearly different layout to the dash. This in its self isn't a problem, but what concerns me is the gearbox, would this be the old type cassette 5th gear?

There is no difference between the gearbox of a 2001 2.8JTD Ducato right up to the change to X250 in 2006.

There are two gearboxes used between 1998 and 2000, one of which has an integrated diff and one that can be separated. The internal parts for the integrated diff version are hugely more expensive and it is an awkward job to remove the box due to it's odd shape and extra weight.

It is the latter that continued largely unchanged. All have the bolt on 5th gear and it is nowhere near as much trouble nor as expensive to repair as people would have you believe.

One significant change that arrived with the 2002 restlye is front wheel bearing failure and I for one would rather have the old dashboard and seats than the constant irritation of having to replace bearings.

Nick

euroserv - 2009-07-24 3:57 PM

One significant change that arrived with the 2002 restlye is front wheel bearing failure......

Nick

Our 2004 needed both front wheel bearings changing at 16000 miles! In contrast, I have a 81 year old car in my garage that still has its 81 year old, brass caged, wheel bearings working just fine.

Progress...!!

FD

The pre- and post- facelift differences are obvious from the instrument and dash layout.

The newer 5 speed gearbox used in the post-facelift vehicles were, however, definitely fitted to the late 2002 pre-facelift vehicles. (I know, I had one).

The gearstick shift pattern is the giveaway, the newer gearbox, with the more integrated 5th gear, having reverse to the left and up, whereas the older box was to the right and down.

Archived