Mk7 Transit stalling.

Brian Kirby

Some may remember that around this time in 2007 I was complaining bitterly at how easy it way to stall our, then new, van.  I whinged at the Ford dealership who carried out its first service a year ago, and was told a re-map of the ECU was imminent.  Well, in the event not so imminent after all, but it has now been released, and when ours was serviced a fortnight ago, it was duly re-mapped.

Oh joy!  It incorporates, according to the dealer, an anti-stall programme that was jointly developed with Land Rover, who use the 2.2 litre Ford engine in some of their mud-pluggers.  I am delighted to report that it works, and does so extremely well.  It is now possible to just leave the engine idling, and gently engage the clutch.  As the clutch begins to bite and load the engine, the revs just gently increase and the van moves off.  This works equally on hills, and during tight manoeuvres - even those where the clutch may be dipped several times to keep speed down, and in reverse as well as forward gears.

If there is a catch at all, it is that once the clutch is fully engaged the revs drop back to idling speed a touch abruptly, leading to a bit of a jerk.  However, once you know it is coming it is easy enough to beat the electronics on the draw, and accelerate smoothly away.

It also "softens" the initial accelerator response, leading to a more general improvement in low speed control, for example in creeping traffic.  Final cherry on the cake?  Fuel consumption is marginally improved as well.

So, if you have an early 2.2 litre FWD Transit Mk 7 that is difficult not to stall, see if you can get that nice Mr Ford to carry out the remap on yours.  It seems it is not being done as a matter of course, but only on vehicles whose owners have complained of related problems.  Oh yes, and if you have suffered from sporadic and unexplained warning "beeps" when turning on the ignition, it fixes that too! 

This is good folks - enjoy!  :-) :-)

thanks mine going in next week for warranty inspection on paintwork cracking inside the gully of the gutter rail. will get them to check on the update for me.

if you have a transit get the step ladder out and check your gutterrails, only noticed mine on first clean, autosleeper not intrested said it was a ford problem they must have seen the cracks on fitting the roof vents.

I have a Duetto with the 140 engine and rear wheel drive, there is a software update for this engine, I know because I have had it done.

It seems that these updates are not applied automatically in every case, it pays to ask. Mine cured the 'sporadic beeps' on turning the ignition on and the stalling is now no more common than it is on any other vehicle that I dive (we all do it from time to time).

Archived