Underbonnet water ingress update

colin weston

It may be of interest to current owners that the latest Fiat/Peugeot based vans have a double-sided adhesive white foam tape (approx section 12mm x 2mm) fitted between the scuttle to windscreen joint to help prevent water entering the engine compartment via this joint. I am looking at a similar fix.

From your photograph it looks as if you have the standard scuttle panels where the lower part is a rigid plastic and the upper part is a more pliable rubber which should effect a seal with the windscreen. Many of the earlier models suffered leaks at the bottom of the windscreen due to the rubber sealing portion not contacting the windscreen in some locations. The adhesive foam I am referring to is attached beneath the sealing lip of the scuttle panel. If you carefully lift the end corner of the seal you will see what I mean.

Had another look after reading your post more carefully, there is no foam under the seal but it does make good contact with the screen. Peeling it back there is a bit bit of muck that's collected between the seal & screen no more than would be expected.

If it ever did cause a problem it would be easy enough to run a bead of Silicon RTV along the contact area to completely seal it.

Guest Tracker
lennyhb - 2009-07-24 1:56 PM

Had another look after reading your post more carefully, there is no foam under the seal but it does make good contact with the screen. Peeling it back there is a bit bit of muck that's collected between the seal & screen no more than would be expected.

If it ever did cause a problem it would be easy enough to run a bead of Silicon RTV along the contact area to completely seal it.

The muck that remains is as a result of water passing through - much as a river deposits silt!

I would ask myself one question - do ya feel lucky? - well do ya? - why should yours be the only one that don't leak!

Guest Tracker
lennyhb - 2009-07-24 2:20 PM

It's only the first 10mm that has a bit of muck further down completely dry & clean. Under the bonnet everything is clean dry, shiny & rust free.

Can you say the same for under your bonnet?

No - my engine is still covered in very fine sand from a Sahara sandstorm!!

I use a product that costs about £5, called Capt Tolleys creeping crack cure.

Its a latex based fluid that on use is white but when dry changes to clear.

I run this along the top of the scuttle and down the centre join because its fluid when first used it finds any small gaps by capillary action and my engine stays nice and dry.

I first used this on my boat and was amazed how well it works you can find it in marina's and on ebay.

Its a lot less visual than a silicone sealant and a 60ml bottle lasts for ages.

Well tracker I would be a lot more worried about sand than a bit of water.

As for sealants I sell an excellent black RTV (plug plug) that the auto trade use on screen seals & sunroofs ideal as the scuttle & base of windscreen are black won't show if you are a bit messy.

I know some people find this water ingress thing important, so I'm not wanting to be flippant when I say this. BUT... doesn't water spray from driving in wet weather enter the engine compartment from underneath the engine anyway? So why is a small amount of water dripping onto the engine such a big deal?

The main problem was on the early vehicles where the water was collecting on the injectors & they were rusting, long term it could have caused problems if the injectors needed replacing.

1st mod Fiat fitted an engine cover, the next mod was a redesigned scuttle & seal.

My van is 2008 never had any problem I've checked it several times after severe weather both stationary & driving, all dry under the bonnet.

Archived