Sticky skylight seals.

Leso

Guest Tracker

This often comes up and you will get a variety of answers with luck!

We use talcum powder and find lavender flavour the most pleasant!

Tracker - 2009-07-23 3:45 PM

This often comes up and you will get a variety of answers with luck!

We use talcum powder and find lavender flavour the most pleasant!

Must say I agree with tracker. I have used talcum powder on all window seals, on both caravans and motorhomes for years. Not so fussy about smell, as I can't smell not even gas, it has its advantages.

Dave

Guest Tracker
DESCO - 2009-07-23 4:03 PM

Not so fussy about smell, as I can't smell not even gas, it has its advantages.

Dave

My dog's got no nose.

How does it smell?

Terrible!

If you are going to use powder use Baby Powder, the perfumes in Talcum Powder can attack the rubber.

Pure silicon grease is the best as a stopgap you can use olive oil.

If you use powder it needs re-applying regularly if you use silicon it lasts for ages.

I use Thetford maintenance spray, applied regularly it works OK, leaves no sticky deposits and unlike talc is easy to apply to seals in any position. I apply it either directly, on onto a tissue first and then wipe over the seals.

Although others might not agree, silicone spray, of the type used in the double glazing industry, leaves no sticky residue and will stop all window rubbers sticking to the plastic if used regularly, it will also help to keep the rubbers supple and stop them going brittle. A large spray can should cost less than a fiver from a upvc trim stockist.

My concern with using talc is whether it will speed up drying out of the rubber. According to the fitter who replaced a damaged rubber seal for me, the window should be opened and relubricated every 4-6 weeks.

Archived