i could retire today

clay

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am safe in the knollege that I shall live forever.

The reason for this is that the guy up above is sitting in a chair that he will have to get out of because knows that it will belong to me when I get up there, and that means that he isn't going to call me doesn't it.

Same applies to the guy down below too

B-) The Crumblies make a very good point. If you are in a position to do so, retire and enjoy. The future is an ubnknown quantity.

In 1996 I had done 2 seasons in Benidorm. We had been having a great time. But some things happened that made me question did I want to continue working in a situtation that on some occasions was decidely uncomfortable due to Lager louts.

I sat down at the end of the season and worked out what income we had and how long to go to receive my basic State Pension. I was already receiving my Miners Pension since the age of 50. A Yorkshireman will always take what he can while he can.

I calculated that the money we had in savings, the income we had and the cost of our lifestyle would allow us to retire.

October 1996, actually on our Wedding Anniversary, I made my last visit to the accountant and closed down my business.

Since then we have travelled around Europe, toured the USA and bought several RV's/Motorhomes. I received my State Pension last December and can honestly say 'WE HAVE NEVER BEEN SO WELL OFF'.

Why wait? You only get one chance at life. Go for it. ;-)

Guest Tracker

For many of us, and whilst we might have enjoyed our working lives, work was only ever a means to an end which makes the achieving of that end earlier than expected all the more gratifying.

That said, we must not lose sight of the fact that for many people their work IS their life and to give it up before they are ready could possibly be a big mistake for them with the newly created void leading to much unhappiness?

So before anyone jumps headlong from full time work one day to full time retirement the next day do make sure that plans are afoot to fill the vast swathes of available time because a purpose in life is just as important as the means to fund it.

I've read this dicussion with interest and a very good one it is too. I come a retirement date in just under 4 years time at the age of 52. We are starting to put some detail onto the background canvas. I've learnt two vey imprtant lessons over the past few years; My mum died about 6 years ago after a some years with alzheimers, when we bought our motorhome my dad said," brilliant, i'm so glad you can go off and do what you want, me and your mum waited until we retired and we didn't have enough time together so don't wait, it may be too late". The second thing i learnt was that they saved hard for their retirement (and they weren't in well paid jobs) and when my mum became very ill and needed nursing care the govt took what they could from their savings (but thats another discussion).

I will travel when the date clicks around and after a working life of decision making, planning and responsibility i want to wander about a lot doing spur of the moment stuff. I hope that the next 4 years pass trouble free.

As has been said in a previous post No one said on their death bed " I wish I'd spent more time in the office" B-)

Archived