radar detector

Brian Peters

i have read with interest comments about the french and german police not liking any form of camera detection in motorhomes, the problem that i have is when i bought my motorhome it had radar detection installed already and for the life of me i dont know where the unit is all i know is that it is permanently active with no way of swiching the thing off.So if a not so friendly bobby pointed his radar gun at my van he would hear the constant beep and presume that i was ignoring the rules. How would i explain that the detection is part of the vehicle as is the steering wheel, or would i just be dragged off to be hung drawn and quartered?

Brian

Brian Peters - 2009-07-26 10:33 AM

i have read with interest comments about the french and german police not liking any form of camera detection in motorhomes, the problem that i have is when i bought my motorhome it had radar detection installed already and for the life of me i dont know where the unit is all i know is that it is permanently active with no way of swiching the thing off.So if a not so friendly bobby pointed his radar gun at my van he would hear the constant beep and presume that i was ignoring the rules. How would i explain that the detection is part of the vehicle as is the steering wheel, or would i just be dragged off to be hung drawn and quartered?

Brian

Are you sure that it's a radar detector and not just 'Speed camera' Points of intrest on a Sat-Nav ?? they can beep a warning as well.

On a Sat-Nav they can be turned off though, and the whole speed camera bit can be disabled.

If it is a genuine 'Detector' they are Illegal in the rest of Europe Including Ireland, and are due to be made illegal here as well in the near future. They can be 'picked up' by the active Radar sets used by the Police.

Sat-Nav POI's are just known camera locations entered onto the Map of the Country. And should be turned off when in Europe and Ireland, so as not to give them an excuse to confiscate your Sat-Nav.

*-)

Brian Peters - 2009-07-26 3:10 PM i dont think it was installed by the manufacturers, the motorhome was 6 months old when i purchased it. brian. p.s. its a burstner t-star 710

Where is it installed, and is there no maker's name on the visible part?  Something like Snooper, for example?

i cant see any sign of the unit, it beeps when road cameras are in the area that i am driving in.

it may have been installed at the same time that the previous owners had RAC trackstar fitted, the warning buzzer is somewhere in the dashboard but i think they hid it well.

Brian

Archived