col de pt st bernard -pass from bourg st maurice to aosta

berti

i tried a search on the above subject but it came up with an error message

has anyone been via this way?

had a look on google earth and it seems to have plenty of laybys/passing points

the start looks a bit hair-raising but seems to go fairly straight thru valleys afterwards

we are travelling in mid august via dijon/dole and visiting champagniole (twinned with our nearby town ) and st claude and courcheval ....heading for venice ..hope to arrive for sept 6th to see the regatta

don't like tunnels at all

any thoughts appreciated

cheers

berti

berti - 2009-07-26 9:08 PM

i tried a search on the above subject but it came up with an error message

has anyone been via this way?

had a look on google earth and it seems to have plenty of laybys/passing points

the start looks a bit hair-raising but seems to go fairly straight thru valleys afterwards

we are travelling in mid august via dijon/dole and visiting champagniole (twinned with our nearby town ) and st claude and courcheval ....heading for venice ..hope to arrive for sept 6th to see the regatta

don't like tunnels at all

any thoughts appreciated

cheers

berti

It was pretty staight forward for us a few years ago but guess it would depend on the van you are driving.

Hi , I did this route 3 years ago coming rom Aosta to Albertville. From what I can remember it was a lot twistier and had a few tight hairpin bends on the Italian side. I was only in a Nissan vannette and had to go very slow and use plenty of lock to get round them. Most of the route was easy to travel with plenty of stopping places.

Clive.

The Tour De France went over a week or so ago. Some of the support vehicles are large.

You should not have difficulty with a medium size motor home.

Height 2188 metres (7178 feet) Maximum gradient 1 in 12. Outstanding scenery. Fairly easy approach from France with good decent into Italy.

Closed to vehicles towing another vehicle.

thanks for the prompt replies

always best to get the info 'from the horses mouth' so to speak

no-one seems to mention this route so i wondered why

can anyone remember how long the drive took?

i think there is an aire at bourg-st-maurice so plan to o/nite there & set off fairly early

is there anywhere to stop o/nite once you reach the italian side?

cheers

berti

our van is a hymer 694g approx 7 metres long

only a 2.5 engine though

bit of a struggle sometimes when going up very steep hills !!!

but we have had a revamp/sort out recently & jettisoned a lot of weight so hopefully it won't be as hard going now !!!

cheers berti

:-| Going that way on 5th Aug. on the way to Monza track days.On the way back on 11th.Using Citroen relay van,3 bikes in back,will post details of stopping places etc on return... :-D :-D The tunnel charged 110e last year .Piracy (!) (!)

An alternative route is via N6. Chambery - Montmelian (towards Albertville) then take N6 to col du Mt Cenis - Suse -Condove - Turin.

The Col is a nice drive large lorries use it, will be using it on trip to Bracciano Lake ( just north of Rome) in Sept.

This avoids the Frejus Tunnel from france to italy

Enjoy your travels Mike

Did the journey some years ago in a six metre van. Don't remember it being particularly difficult, though the road at the col was a bit rough. In my memory, the Italian side was well surfaced.

Had a consistent knock on the way down, at every corner (and there are many). Thought I had a wheel bearing going ('van was 2 months old!). When we got to the bottom I had the wheel trims off, and discovered three out of five bolts nearly out of a rear wheel!

If you don't mind a slight detour, there was, (and recent postings elsewhere indicate there still is), a big 'aire' at Cogne which is not far from Aosta (turn off before), in (or towards) the Gran Paradiso National Park. I believe it gets busy in season, but from memory it took a lot of 'vans. The scenery round about is worth the vist.

RonB - 2009-07-27 5:05 PM

mendipman - 2009-07-27 9:39 AM

The tunnel charged 110e last year .Piracy (!) (!)

110E! Is that the Frejus tunnel your talking about? Do they supply overnight accommodation or something?

Mont Blanc tunnel

thanks everyone

thats sorted that then...we're going thataway

the mt cenis way seems to be taking us rather a long way down to get to venice...this way i think we can fit in a visit to lake garda/monza enroute to venice

mendipman....if you could let us have that info on your return we would appreciate it...glad we aren't using the tunnel at those kind of prices...we are 4 ton/tag axle so might be even more for us !!!

will you pm or general post?

cheers

berti

Hi --Been over the Grd St Bernard many times and never had a problem. Would suggest you fit some air horns to warn others on the hairpins and just keep out from the clifface on the Italian side as some jagged rocks do stick out if you're in an A class or overcab unit. Superb scenery and Aosta is lovely, the castles are interesting as well all the way down the valley towards Turin.

If you stop in Aosta have a drink at the Bar Agusto in the big square by the Arch of Agusto and say hell to Gianni & Gina from us

Have a good trip

Mike

Last time went from Chamonix on the N115 ,Col. Forclaz.,stopped by Swiss police going into Martigny,did we have a Swiss toll route pass,explained that we were going up the the St Bernard ,they were ok then! .. Will post on return.........www.chamonix.net/english....turns up three or more axles at e241 single e391 return.....

Archived