Satellite Radio

spospe

We have a Duetto and not much room, so do not wish to carry a dish and the other bits for TV reception. In the past I have seen reference to a satellite radio (which had a very small, non-critical aerial) and would give good service all over Europe. Our requirements in particular are for BBC Radios 1-4.

Anyone got any experience of such systems, cost etc?

Thanks ........... Michael

I've got a Maxview crankup on the roof of my duetto and travel with a wall mounted flatscreen TV on the wall opposite the passenger seat. It takes up no room at all. I would not be without satellite TV and radio on long winter nights in Spain.

spospe - 2009-07-27 11:15 AM

We have a Duetto and not much room, so do not wish to carry a dish and the other bits for TV reception. In the past I have seen reference to a satellite radio (which had a very small, non-critical aerial) and would give good service all over Europe. Our requirements in particular are for BBC Radios 1-4.

Anyone got any experience of such systems, cost etc?

Thanks ........... Michael

You're thinking of Worldspace. The only BBC radio they carry is the World Service

Andy

derek500: You only need a dish to receive radio from the same organisation that transmits TV at the same time, eg FreeSat.

Mike88: Our Duetto is a current model, based on the MK7 Transit, what is yours?

Andy C: Thanks, it was Worldspace that I was thinking of, but alas no BBC other than the World Service, which does not usually carry much UK news.

Thanks for all the help ........... Michael

spospe - 2009-07-27 5:56 PM

derek500: You only need a dish to receive radio from the same organisation that transmits TV at the same time, eg FreeSat.

Freesat don't transmit anything apart from an EPG!!

Lots of organisations broadcast radio stations on satellite without broadcasting TV.

derek500: If there are lots of radio stations broadcast by the satellites, then I should be able to receive them without a dish using a suitable receiver. The aerial requirments for radio are much less stringent than for TV and I have seen in the past a radio which had a small rectangular aerial which could be placed in a south facing window and which gave satisfactory results.

Mike 88: No need to risk an email address, why not post the photos on here, then we can all see them?

spospe - 2009-07-27 10:56 PM

derek500: If there are lots of radio stations broadcast by the satellites, then I should be able to receive them without a dish using a suitable receiver. The aerial requirments for radio are much less stringent than for TV and I have seen in the past a radio which had a small rectangular aerial which could be placed in a south facing window and which gave satisfactory results.

All I can find is this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_radio

which refers to Worldspace, mentioned earlier.

As for your other point, I'd have to disagree. We live in a fringe area and the radio stations on 2d are usually the ones we lose first before the TV channels.

I always assumed they were weaker signals.

Archived