toll charges

patti08

There are too many alternative routes to say: some will be shorter than the toll roads, depending on which toll road route you choose to compare against which non-toll road. 

As a general rule, however, unless both routes are of wildly unequal length (unlikely), whatever extra fuel you buy will not cost anything like as much as the tolls. 

What toll roads are really about is time.  If you need to travel fast then you will have to use some motorway/dual carriageway type roads, and in France and Italy most of these are toll roads. 

You really need to get a planning tool to help you plan your routes and your daily travel durations.  ViaMichelin is fine, but you can't "play" with it, and set differing via points as you go, and you can't re-route with it as/when necessary. 

Your best option will be a computer based routing tool, with European mapping, but I'd avoid Microsoft AutoRoute as it hasn't been updated for some time, and the most recent version is missing many roads in Eastern Europe despite the claim on the box.

If you don't yet have a sat nav, have a look at the Garmin Zumo models, which should include a Garmin MapSource disk that gives you PC based routing and mapping - but check that the disk is there, because when I got a Nuvi, which was heralded as having the MapSource disk, Garmin had changed their minds and decided to omit it!  )-:

Going via Strasbourg to florence i covered 895 miles, on return i went via rapallo to visit portofino and then to Chamonix Mt Blanc tunnel to Calais mileage 890. a good night stop at Kehl near Strasbourg on way out. But wonderfull scenery on way back. the choise is yours, enjoy.

Archived