Help.....Bad gas?!!!!

SAS

Grilling hubs toast yesterday morning when suddenly there was a horrible rubbery smell coming from the cooker. Switched the grill off but no smoke or anything and the smell went. Hubs relit the grill and it smelt again but not so bad. He thinks I`ve either dropped one of those rubber dots down there (the ones that stop the cupboards from rattling) or it was bad gas. Bad gas? Is it possible to get a burst of bad gas through the grill? Hubs eventually did the toast but I stayed outside.... 8-)

I bought one of those from a car boot sale it holds four slices of bread I didn't think it worked very well, it only cost 50 pence so no loss, but I have an older type ,flat piece of metal with a steel mesh on top, it only takes one slice at a time but as it sits right on the gas flame the toast is ready in no time Yum Yum.

vindiboy - 2009-07-28 5:51 PM

I bought one of those from a car boot sale it holds four slices of bread I didn't think it worked very well, it only cost 50 pence so no loss, but I have an older type ,flat piece of metal with a steel mesh on top, it only takes one slice at a time but as it sits right on the gas flame the toast is ready in no time Yum Yum.

It's the small 'flat' folding ones that we use. Two in the van and we now even use one at home.

Makes extremely nice toast quickly and efficiently, as the flames are under the bread, not over, like grills.

Yum indeed !

;-)

Funnily enough I've had a Hymer in today with a fridge that was setting off the CO detector inside the 'van. The reason I mention it is because even after overhauling the burner and cleaning the flue of the fridge it still stank something terrible although the CO readings were now well inside acceptable limits. Reason it was setting iff the CO detector was because it is a Dometic tower unit with the oven on top and the oven has a vent at the rear. The flue of the fridge vents into the cavity rather than through a wall mounted outlet thereby allowing the products of combustion to enter the 'van through the oven. I fitted a baffle plate above the fridge heat exchanger leaving the top quarter of the external vent free for the oven.

Back to the smell though, this 'van was equipped with refillable gas cylinders and I suspect there can be a build up of "stenching agent" occurring. I've heard of this "smelly gas" happening but not experienced it myself until today. It does smell horrible but I'd not describe it as a rubbery burning smell.

D.

Do what I do buy a low wattage toaster cost me a ten spot does really nice tasty toast I know the we don't use hook ups brigade will say we have to use gas or alternate power ..go on then use the toaster pyramids then!!

The toaster pyramids (that take 4 slices at once) are one of the biggest pieces of junk I have ever tried to use! Fortunately ours came from a car boot sale for 50p too ... it ended up in the bin! I usually give stuff I don't want to charity shops but I couldn't with all honesty give this totally bl**dy useless bit of kit to them for some poor sucker to end up with! :$

The flat ones that do a single piece at at time are much better.

Why is it, though, that the grills that are part of the over/hob etc are pathetic ... they take ages to get hot enough to toast anything and then, just when you're not looking, they spring into life and burn your bread to a crisp in 10 seconds flat! >:-(

Hi

Found this on the web, it was from a document discussing the problem of blocked regulators with plasticizers, but could be relevant to this, and the first ‘bad gas’ thread by SAS, and those like myself who have refillable cylinders.

Quote;

’Heavy ends’ are the trace quantities of higher molecular weight hydrocarbons and unavoidable oils present in the bulk gas that do not evaporate off with normal cylinder use and gradually build up due to multiple refills in the period between regular cylinder inspections’

Quote;

‘All returned, empty cylinder are checked and cleaned periodically by the gas bottlers to remove any ‘heavy ends’ and condensate extractions that may have collected. These ‘heavy ends’ and condensate extractions have much higher boiling points (up to 300°C), than the paraffin type gases, and do not boil off when gas is being used.’

So what happens if and when these build to a certain level? Smelly gas? Regulator problems? Or does the agitation of the vehicle movement keep them at an acceptable level?

The under slung fixed type have been around for a good while, so I guess there are no major issues.

Comments from anyone in the LPG gas trade would be interesting.

As for recouping the cost of the Gaslow system, have you seen the price of secondhand kit on Ebay? If you sell the system at a later date it’s a no brainer, wish I’d done it earlier.

(Gaslow, all commissions to be sent to PKC at this address.)

Regards PKC.

I have posted this on the other 'Gaslow is there anything else I need' thread, as it seems to be covering the same ground.

Archived