Snooper sat nav

misty

Be aware that the claimed advantages need careful reading.  I'm not doubting that it does what it says on the tin, just that what it says on the tin, is not necessarily so beneficial as it may appear at first sight.

It will help you avoid low bridges, and width and weight restrictions, but it will not, however, so far as I am aware, ensure you never get sent down a narrow country lane, unless that lane is actually subject to a statutory width restriction.  Most, at least around here, are not.

My information is that the general recording of road widths exceeds the capability of current electronic mapping, and will do so for a few years yet.  The question arises whether the additional cost represents good value, and only you can decide that.  It will be better than those sat navs that don't have the facility to cater for vehicle dimensions - the more so the larger your van (or the larger you tell it your van is!).  However, it will not be foolproof, and especially pay attention to the extent of cover in Europe, where the data is generally less fully recorded than in UK and, in a number of countries, is not recorded at all.

You'll still need your brain in gear, and some maps to hand, to get the best from it.

Hi

We had one of these briefly but gave it away because the truck specific mapping was restricted to the UK and a few bits of northern Europe (France & Spain were excluded) but the biggest problem we had was that we could not enter our own POIs in GPS form. Think very carefully about what you need from the system before you buy. We ended up with a TomTom.

Peter

We have a TOM TOM 910 we call her DORA the explorer ( kids programme ) we have had this one for a few years now.took us down a few narrow lanes.but are still happy with it.not been abroad with it yet we were going to leave DORA in the car .and SNOOPER in the van .dont think we will bother now.there is always something new coming out will wait a while .THANKS .for the advice.

Archived