Cruise Control - Driver Banned!!!

Mel B

cant see where the cruise control comes into it, on my last two cars the cruise control automatically diengauged when the brake pedal was pressed, so if this guy was not concentrating and did not have time to brake then whether the cruise was on or off was irrelevent

Cruise control is over-riden by you pressing the break peddle in the car. If this driver didn't have time to stop that was his fault, not that of the cruise control, only the driver trying to find something else to blame other than his own incompetance. I agree also that maybe he was otherwise distractracted if he hadn't seen what was happening ahead or just plain driving too fast.

Vehicle in gear, brain not in gear. Easier to say that a system which is designed not to do so actually took over control of the vehicle. Could have been aliens removing common sense through an energy beam and they chose this person because of their unique intellect. DOH.

Porky well fed and happy to have cruise control.

not wishing to rush to the defence of a BMW driver

but

don't you think that the more the driver is distanced from the actual mechanics of driving - the more you run the risk of being distanced from the whole thing.

when I first started using cruise I found it detached me from the process of driving, and I had to force myself to concentrate

not wander off and make a brew so to speak -

gears auto, accelerator auto, brain in auto - so to speak -

sometimes it all seems too easy *-)

Like everyone else says can't blame the cruise control, unless it's a Ford Explorer a few years ago they had a problem with cruise control jamming the throttle full open a couple of accidents over here a few people killed the other side of the pond.

Accepting no malfunction just an idiot driver.

Must admit to breaking the law in Belgium where cruise controls are banned. Banned in Belgium but Motorhomes & cars are still supplied with them in Belgium.

I find it less stress free driving with cruise control more so on the Motorhome than the car and it certainly keeps the speeding tickets down, generally using cruise I find I drive slower.

duffers - 2009-07-28 9:26 PM

not wishing to rush to the defence of a BMW driver

but

don't you think that the more the driver is distanced from the actual mechanics of driving - the more you run the risk of being distanced from the whole thing.

when I first started using cruise I found it detached me from the process of driving, and I had to force myself to concentrate

not wander off and make a brew so to speak -

gears auto, accelerator auto, brain in auto - so to speak -

sometimes it all seems too easy *-)

I'd agree with that. Makes me wonder what some people do to stay awake at the wheel.

Watching the sat-nav ?

:-(

With practice cruise control can be used like your accelerator ie; for increasing and reducing speed by activating the control to suit the conditions. (It is not simply an ON-OFF switch) although it may seem so until you become aware of what can be achieved.

The use of such devices can allow the driver to make a much quicker reaction if called upon to brake quickly.

Should a hazard be presenting itself it is possible to drive quite normaly using the device, but with your foot just feeling the brake pedal. The thinking time or reaction and foot movement time (pedal to pedal) is reduced by 95%.

For those who have not used such devices it does not mean that the driver is engaging the brakes as he drives along, neither do the brake lights show as 'on'. The facts are that the very slightest pressure on the brake pedal disengages the device.

Hi,

Is cruise control "fail-safe"? If ANYTHING goes wrong, does it disengage?

What I want is a device that pushes my accelerator back up if I exceed the speed limit, but not so strong that I cannot override it. Device to be controlled by me setting it manually as I pass the road sign. Or better still, by driving under or over a bar-code.

I understand that Leeds University are/were developing a system of cutting your engine if the GPS says you are going too fast for your location. I bet that could be fun in some situations.

Hi 602,

Quote.

"What I want is a device that pushes my accelerator back up if I exceed the speed limit"

You already have such a device, it's called the cerebral cortex.

Regards PKC. :-S

So Porky, you have stumbled upon the Emperor Mings conquest plans!

Do not trifle with us Earthling!

Regards Zolon.

Location 8th planet from the Sun Alpha Centuri.

Autocruise Starfire on Saturn 5 base.

"What I want is a device that pushes my accelerator back up if I exceed the speed limit" .

Your next car will be a Merc then as this is one of the configurations it can be set too. Manual control with Maximum speed limit by Cruise control system.

Ours is a lot more basic and as had been said one touch of the brakes and it instantly dissengages. We could not live without it nowadays. No cramps in the rump, no aching ankles. Sorry but I can only see positive advantages with these systems. At the end of the day the driver remains totally in control.

The judge must have had the wool well and truly pulled over his eyes on this one. Probably came by Taxi as well!!

C.

Clive - 2009-07-29 9:09 AM

"What I want is a device that pushes my accelerator back up if I exceed the speed limit" .

Your next car will be a Merc then as this is one of the configurations it can be set too. Manual control with Maximum speed limit by Cruise control system.

Ours is a lot more basic and as had been said one touch of the brakes and it instantly dissengages. We could not live without it nowadays. No cramps in the rump, no aching ankles. Sorry but I can only see positive advantages with these systems. At the end of the day the driver remains totally in control.

The judge must have had the wool well and truly pulled over his eyes on this one. Probably came by Taxi as well!!

C.

" The driver remains totally in control "

That's debatable Clive.

I would say that the computers are taking control.

:-(

For people who let their concentration lapse on long boring journeys, why not just set your speed indicator thingy (sorry don't know tech name) so that when you get to that speed it pings a warning. This surely would bring back concentration.

When all said and done, cruise control or not, too many drivers aren't paying attention when incharge of a vehicle, they are only considering themselves on the road and it seems a large percentage of drivers are illiterate as they are totally unable to 'read the road ahead'.

Over the next 100 years vehicles will be restricted in speed by technology. Either through satellite or at the point of passing a speed limit with a transmitter activating a chip on the fuel management system. Loud protests will be heard from those who say it is their right to drive well beyond the speed limit if they choose to do so. Oh yes and in 100 years time they will say "they did what, they put a weed in their mouths and lit it?" Over long passages of time in history things change beyond recognition of those caught up in the detail of their own immediate experience.

I think it was Prince Phillip who once said that even a cricket bat can be dangerous in the wrong hands, as can be cruise control.

Roy Fuller

Guest Tracker

As anyone who use a sat nav will know most vehicles speedos are over optimistic by anything from 5% to 10%.

This is a cynical conspiracy by car makers as the technology exists for highly accurate speedos. It is done so that fuel consumption figures look better than they really are. Also manufacturers can get 11 x 10,000 mile services in every 100,000 miles instead of ten services! It also means that a mileage related warranty runs out sooner! I rest my case!

However the real point is that if big brother is limiting your car to what it and your vehicle thinks is the speed limit you will find yourself cruising at 63 mph on the motorway instead of 70 mph! But you will think you are doing 70 and you will be able to comment on how quiet and economical it is at 70!

Progress eh?

I like you conspiracy theory Rich, however, re the differing speeds, we found that my car, as per manufacture, was spot on with the sat nav speed, un like the motorhome that was actually showing a slower speed on the sat nav than the motorhomes speedo. This is down to the manufacture having calibrated the speedo at time of manufacture and when the conversion is done, and in our case an alko chassis replaced the original factory fit chassis and with that a change in size of wheels necessary, the speedo was not recalibrated to the new size of wheels hence the decrepancy. This can also be put against anyone who has changed the size of wheels to their car or any other vehicle, the speedo will be calibrated wrong unless they pay out for that to be done, which I guess wont happen.

Tracker have you checked your odometer, my Fiat speedometer reads at least 10% over but the odometer is accurate over a journey of 70 miles. By contrast my cars speedometer is within 1.5%.

Has anyone had any luck with getting a Fiat dealer to re-calibrate the speedo or replace it with an accurate one?

Guest Tracker

Our van too has an Alko chassis but I don't believe that would make any difference unless the wheel size and/or tyre sizes - rather than just the wheels and or tyres - at chassis production had been changed without a corresponding re-calibration? However our last van, the Tracker was, as yours, a little on the slow side by about 2 mph which is in theory illegal as you are allowed to have an over reading speedo by 10% but not an under reading one by any margin however small.

The Starburst shows about a 5% over read and our cars show a 5% over read at 70 mph on one and 10% on the other.

This gives one the freedom of choice to cruise at whatever true speed the sat nav shows up to 79 mph - assuming that it is accurate - and doing some quick calculations using motorway mile posts whilst on cruise control at a level speed - the sat nav does seem to be pretty accurate - bearing in mind that we do have the benefit of a 10% allowance plus 2 mph - before - in theory - we are 'done'. Personally I prefer to ignore the 2 mph leeway and just keep within the 10% - or 77 mph when I'm in a hurry!

But do bear in mind that the sat nav speed read out is by it's very nature retrospective and is a second or two behind your actual speed when accelerating or slowing down!

Tracker - 2009-07-29 11:09 AM As anyone who use a sat nav will know most vehicles speedos are over optimistic by anything from 5% to 10%. This is a cynical conspiracy by car makers as the technology exists for highly accurate speedos. It is done so that fuel consumption figures look better than they really are. Also manufacturers can get 11 x 10,000 mile services in every 100,000 miles instead of ten services! It also means that a mileage related warranty runs out sooner! I rest my case! However the real point is that if big brother is limiting your car to what it and your vehicle thinks is the speed limit you will find yourself cruising at 63 mph on the motorway instead of 70 mph! But you will think you are doing 70 and you will be able to comment on how quiet and economical it is at 70! Progress eh?

Oh dear! Another Tracker anti-business-conspiracy rant! It must be awful waking up every morning thinking that you're going to be ripped off by someone! Let's unrest his case!

The real reason why speedos are set high is that manufacturers have to err on the side of caution. That's why the law will not let them make a speedo that reads low, but allows them to read high by up to 10%.

Putting different wheels on a car for instance will affect the speedo reading and, if a speedo were to read low, for any reason, then some litigious tight-fisted type would be the first to sue the car maker when he's prosecuted for speeding.

For most people the servicing analogy is also irrelevent as we tend to have our cars serviced annually, regardless of mileage.

Even if we have our cars serviced on mileage, like another contributor, I also find that my odometer is very accurate so, if a journey length is given by my satnav, or by a traffic organisation's website for instance, my odometer is always bang on, although my speedometer is set about 5% high. This also gives the lie to the extra servicing persecution theory.

Archived