Cruise Control - Driver Banned!!!

Mel B

Guest Tracker
GypsyTom - 2009-07-29 1:03 PMOh dear! Another Tracker anti-business-conspiracy rant! It must be awful waking up every morning thinking that you're going to be ripped off by someone! Let's unrest his case!

The real reason why speedos are set high is that manufacturers have to err on the side of caution. That's why the law will not let them make a speedo that reads low, but allows them to read high by up to 10%.

Putting different wheels on a car for instance will affect the speedo reading and, if a speedo were to read low, for any reason, then some litigious tight-fisted type would be the first to sue the car maker when he's prosecuted for speeding.

For most people the servicing analogy is also irrelevent as we tend to have our cars serviced annually, regardless of mileage.

Even if we have our cars serviced on mileage, like another contributor, I also find that my odometer is very accurate so, if a journey length is given by my satnav, or by a traffic organisation's website for instance, my odometer is always bang on, although my speedometer is set about 5% high. This also gives the lie to the extra servicing persecution theory.

My My Tom - you really are so easy to wind up! Are you not able to recognise tongue in cheek posting yet? Never mind keep at it and the penny might drop one day at which point you may learn to answer a posting without having a go at the poster!Nevertheless I do thank you for your concern over my sanity and I must confess that it concerns me too!I have checked odometer readings and compared them with both sat nav and Auto route predictions over a long journey and I have found that in most cases they too are over reading by up to 5%. Erring on the side of caution is a poor excuse for inaccurate speedos and one which the manufacturers have been hiding behind for 100 years!Fitting different wheels per se will NOT alter the speedo accuracy in any way unless they differ in circumference to the originals. That is simple maths!The servicing argument is very relevant for high mileage users such as taxi drivers and company reps!But it is great fun being provocative and I have learnt forgive those who love to have a go at me personally instead of the points raised for they know not what they do!

What a wriggler! Make a post with no real irony intended but when you're totally wrong-footed and shown to be talking nonsense just say that it was really just a wind-up!

Has it ever occurred to you that you may be the one taking the worm!

Guest Tracker
lennyhb - 2009-07-29 1:35 PM

Not only are BMW & Mercedes drivers exempt they are only allowed in the outside lane. >:-)

Such a shame that nobody has told the drivers of inferior cars this then init!

Guest Tracker
GypsyTom - 2009-07-29 1:20 PM

What a wriggler! Make a post with no real irony intended but when you're totally wrong-footed and shown to be talking nonsense just say that it was really just a wind-up!

Has it ever occurred to you that you may be the one taking the worm!

Oh come on Tom - is that the best you can manage!

Cruise control brings back to mind the "story" of the American in his Winnebago who when out on his first trip engaged cruise control prior to going in to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. Typical of our American cousins he apparently sued Winnebago and won.

docted

Hi PKC

Cerebal Cortex?

Is that the thingy that is fully employed in calculating the speed when rev counter is showing 1500rpm, and the car does 21mph/1000rpm ..... only the V8 engine has been replaced by a straight 6, but still has the V8 tacho. And did the overdrive come in when I clicked the switch? Previous owner removed the 90 degree drive from side of gearbox, screwed cable direct into gearbox ..... which wasn't a good idea.

And what is the speed limit anyway? Last sign I passed was the "derestriction" sign just as I entered the roundabout, half a mile ago, and now there are street lamps every 25 yards. but everybody else is doing 60mph......... ?

docted - 2009-07-29 3:24 PM Cruise control brings back to mind the "story" of the American in his Winnebago who when out on his first trip engaged cruise control prior to going in to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. Typical of our American cousins he apparently sued Winnebago and won. docted

You're right to put 'story' in inverted commas as it's a total urban myth that never happened. A bit like people being gassed in their motorhomes!

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/006633.html

Not wanting to add fuel to this one (that's what Trackers there for :)= ) but there's a very good reason why all speedos over read. It's to account for tyre wear.

A new tyre will over read more than one down to the legal limit - the diameter will change by several mm (hence affecting the rolling radius) and the manufacturer has to take this into account.

Your Sat Nav reading will be your 'actual speed'.

Peter R

peterrosey - 2009-07-30 11:22 AM

(snip)

Your Sat Nav reading will be your 'actual speed'.

Also not wanting to add fuel to an argument but I'm just reminded of a recent couple of occurences. I've seen similar statements in the past and not been entirely convinced but wasn't particularly bothered either way.

A couple of months ago, though, we were visiting my Mum and took her out on a trip which included a road where it is easy to exceed the 30 limit if you're not careful. As it happens I had the TomTom switched on and noticed that the speed it displayed was fluctuating quite a bit, even though the speedo was more or less steady at about 29/30.

I also noticed a similar phenomenon when returning from the Stratford show in June.

In both cases there were a fair number of trees around and I suppose that might have interfered with the satellite line of sight but I wouldn't have expected such fluctuations in a relatively short distance. Perhaps it is an indication that sat nav speeds, even if generally accurate, are not foolproof.

Graham

Speed limits are the maximum permitted. I live in a 20mph limit and no one takes any notice of it. I regret to say that when things are a matter of discretion anarchy reigns. So how about driving 5mph slower than the limit, thus saving fuel and potential injury. I can hear the outcry, what a boring old fart, I have to get places!!!!

Hi GJH,

Thought I might stoke up the fire a little.

Question.

If my route consists of a series of very steep hills, ^^^ and assuming that Sat-Navs measure linear distance, would it be measuring my speed or velocity? ( this assumes I'm driving a new Ducato and therefore do not reverse)

I'll leave that one with the brain boxes out there while I nip down to the pub.

regards

PKC.

(?) (?)

Hi,

And if you drive over a cliff ...........

If the speedo is correct with new tyres, it will travel slower with the same speedo reading as the tyres wear.

Ponder on this. If Plod zaps you while standing in the middle of the road, his camera will record a lower spedd than his mate's who is hiding in the bushes. (I think!) So is there a specified angle and distance when zapping?

Porky - 2009-07-30 1:46 PM

Speed limits are the maximum permitted. I live in a 20mph limit and no one takes any notice of it. I regret to say that when things are a matter of discretion anarchy reigns. So how about driving 5mph slower than the limit, thus saving fuel and potential injury. I can hear the outcry, what a boring old fart, I have to get places!!!!

I agree. 30 mph limit on the estate we live on but I tend to do no more than 20 - 25 mph as there are hazards like bends and parked cars which could hide children.

Rapido-lass - 2009-07-30 1:54 PM

Unfortunately most peoples lives have become faster and faster paced as the decades go on. Most people are in a rush as they are taking on or having to fit so much more into a 24hour period. Hence the need to get their as quick as possible.

Or is it that people have allowed their lives to become faster? Is it really necessary to fit more into each day or is that just a symptom of the want it all attitude which led to the credit crunch and the misery which has resulted for some?

Graham

pkc - 2009-07-30 2:55 PM

Hi GJH,

Thought I might stoke up the fire a little.

Question.

If my route consists of a series of very steep hills, ^^^ and assuming that Sat-Navs measure linear distance, would it be measuring my speed or velocity? ( this assumes I'm driving a new Ducato and therefore do not reverse)

I'll leave that one with the brain boxes out there while I nip down to the pub.

regards

PKC.

(?) (?)

That must mean it's your round then does it? Mines a pint :D

Graham

Good point 602!

If E=mc2

where E is the actual speed.

M is his mate in the bushes.

C2= the number of Constables.

Result you still get nicked!(unless you play golf with the Chief Constable)

Regards PKC.

GJH - 2009-07-30 4:45 PM

Unfortunately most peoples lives have become faster and faster paced as the decades go on. Most people are in a rush as they are taking on or having to fit so much more into a 24hour period. Hence the need to get their as quick as possible.

Or is it that people have allowed their lives to become faster? Is it really necessary to fit more into each day or is that just a symptom of the want it all attitude which led to the credit crunch and the misery which has resulted for some?

Graham

Yes I agree that maybe we have let it happen, but having said that it is not my choice, but unless I opt out and become hippy like etc, I haven't much choice in the matter if I want to keep a modest roof over my head and food on the table. I am not one who has over spent, or lived on credit unlike so many.

I understand that satnavs can be out by 3-4% because of the way they get a signal.

A mechanical engineer at Loughborough University told me that it is impossible to accurately calculate the speed of a normal road going vehicle because of the different factors involved unless it is calibrated for every journey and nothing changes, such as loading, in that journey. That's why Top Gear and the like have dedicated speed indicators rather than rely on the built in speedo.

He also made the point that drivers should treat speed limits as the maximum and we should drive below that to reflect the conditions at the time.

Oh and he said don't rely on cruise control because they are not accurate either (although a pretty good guide). He recommends it should always be set several mph lower than the speed limit.

Rapido-lass - 2009-07-30 6:47 PM

Graham

Yes I agree that maybe we have let it happen, but having said that it is not my choice, but unless I opt out and become hippy like etc, I haven't much choice in the matter if I want to keep a modest roof over my head and food on the table. I am not one who has over spent, or lived on credit unlike so many.

We'll have to agree to disagree :-).

When I realised what was happening I refused to just go faster to suit the inadequacies of those making the demands to cover their own inabilities. Still not out on the streets :-)

Graham

GJH - 2009-07-30 11:02 PM

Rapido-lass - 2009-07-30 6:47 PM

Graham

We'll have to agree to disagree :-).

When I realised what was happening I refused to just go faster to suit the inadequacies of those making the demands to cover their own inabilities. Still not out on the streets :-)

Graham

Fair point Graham, and we'll agree to disagree so to speak.

Unfortunately I would have been out on the street had I not quickened my pace, however, in my time I escape in the motorhome where I can step back to a slower pace.

How about regaining control of your life, the main benefit of "retirement", even if one has to modify ones lifestyle. We all have choices, anyone who says they do not are not thinking "outside the box". Yes children impose restrictions and demands, but shouldn`t we take that into account before having them? As I say we all have choices including speeding!!!!

Roy Fuller

Archived