dongle users beware

duetto owner

duetto owner - 2009-07-29 4:37 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8174839.stm

I use t-mobile which is PAY AS YOU GO unlimited £15 a month which I hope stays that way. Just pay which months you want to.

paying a monthly fee seems too risky with these fines being imposed if you stray past a limit.

I use a 3 dongle which is £7.50 a month and I have never come close to my limit so do not know if they tell me. However I always check how much I have left you would have to be pretty stupid not to.

Hope this is not a bit off topic but I've avoided a dongle as my understanding was (after studying coverage maps) that unless you were in/very close to high density population area, there was little or no signal. What is others experience? Best coverage by which provider?

Arthur.... still learning

I have two dongles; T-Mobile and 3. I find that when travelling in England that the T-mobile is more likely to pick up a signal than the 3 dongle. The latter will only work on the fast 3G network which is more rare still.

I had to resort to using T-Mobile VERY occasionally while abroad this year - hope the bill isn't too bad.

I also have a French Orange dongle but didn't manage to get it connected - will have to try again on my next visit. Hope you have had better luck Sylvia.

Randonneur - 2009-07-29 6:22 PM

As long as you can get a signal on a mobile phone you can use a dongle.

Not true. I often have a signal on my tesco mobile (operated by 02) but cannot get a signal on my 3 dongle. I have been disappointed with the 3 coverage.

camper69 - 2009-07-29 11:32 PM

Randonneur - 2009-07-29 6:22 PM

As long as you can get a signal on a mobile phone you can use a dongle.

Not true. I often have a signal on my tesco mobile (operated by 02) but cannot get a signal on my 3 dongle. I have been disappointed with the 3 coverage.

This is because they are differant operators, would assume Randonneur meant same operator. Have to say that my 3 dongle to has poor coverage and although cheap will not be renewing the contract.

camper69 - 2009-07-30 12:32 AM

Very true. The car park at Fort William was the only place we got a signal on our 3 dongle in Scotland this year.

CC sites at Bunree, Morvich and Newtonmore, absolutely nothing - but my Tesco and Spanish Carrefour mobiles both had signals.

Best to date for us is the iphone with unlimited (UK) internet access included in our £35 per month package. (600 minutes, texts etc.) :-D and the screen is big enough to read - as long as I remember to use the magnifying function.... ;-)

arthur49 - 2009-07-29 6:16 PM

Hope this is not a bit off topic but I've avoided a dongle as my understanding was (after studying coverage maps) that unless you were in/very close to high density population area, there was little or no signal. What is others experience? Best coverage by which provider?

B-) We have the THREE Dongle on PAYG. At home on the front drive inside the Motorhome we get one bar and it fluctuates between 3G and HSDPA. Last Sunday to Wednesday we were getting 3 Bars and mainly HSDPA then 3G at Reighton Sands. I think I might go there permanently. :-D

johnsandywhite - 2009-07-31 2:07 PM

arthur49 - 2009-07-29 6:16 PM

B-) We have the THREE Dongle on PAYG. At home on the front drive inside the Motorhome we get one bar and it fluctuates between 3G and HSDPA. Last Sunday to Wednesday we were getting 3 Bars and mainly HSDPA then 3G at Reighton Sands. I think I might go there permanently. :-D

Moved to rural area some weeks ago and both T-mobile and 3 were not supposed to work. However, I found T-mobile worked occasionally at 53kbs: 3 not at all. I was advised to buy a 3 router which I did. This is not supposed to enhance the signal but it patently does as I now get broadband at a good speed all the time now plus I can use more than one computer at a time. It's great! I take it in a m/home now too as it is very small. The caravan next to me couldn't get his 3 to work at all but I have had no problems over three weeks. Worth every penny - got it for just over £30.

I bought my router in May from CPW. Just checked and the offer is still on - £34.25 with free p&p. Brilliant offer but IT WILL ONLY WORK WITH A 3 DONGLE not with any other one. Follow this link below:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/THREE-USB-MODEM-HUB.

As far as I know you can only purchase it online, not in the 3 stores.

There is also an offer for a free 3 dongle but I will have to search for the website for that.

Butty: sorry but I am not sure what you are asking. Can you post again and be a bit more specific?

Got mine from Curry's. There is a computer shop in Burscough Lancashire which also sold them and I am sure if you Google you will find it.

My 3M dongle always fails me when in various parts of North Wales. It never works when I try from Lathom in Lancashire and often fails in certain areas of St Helens. Will be glad when my two year contract is up so I can scrap it. Joy

I bought a vodafone pay as you go dongle£39.00 including £15.00 usage, this I bought last March, and used it quite regularly, so far we still have £12.00 left, I found that on some cl's a connection was impossible, but when we reached a town, I would log on and download all my emails and read them latter off line, also, if there was anything I needed to check out i would do that on the car park (discreetly of course) to avoid someone breaking in and nicking the net book, i would only do that after we spent the day in town.

Of course, sods law dictates, you really want to do surf something, after you leave town

Pete

I find everyone's views on dongles fascinating. Thank you. Having used broadband at home for years now isn't 56k intolerably slow? Is that not a 'dial up' speed ie very slow?

As I said in earlier post because coverage on mobile broadband appears to be poor we've tended to frequent MacDonalds car parks to dip in to e mail when away, and avoid a dongle.

Genuinely interested in all views/experiences as we may be tempted.....

Arthur.........still learning

Archived