dongle users beware

duetto owner

Patricia - 2009-07-31 10:56 PM I bought my router in May from CPW. Just checked and the offer is still on - £34.25 with free p&p. Brilliant offer but IT WILL ONLY WORK WITH A 3 DONGLE not with any other one. Follow this link below: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/THREE-USB-MODEM-HUB. As far as I know you can only purchase it online, not in the 3 stores. There is also an offer for a free 3 dongle but I will have to search for the website for that. Butty: sorry but I am not sure what you are asking. Can you post again and be a bit more specific?

Patricia, many thanks.

After checking the CPW website the new 3 router will only work with the latest HUAWEI 3 dongle and not the earlier ZTE 3 model which unfortunately is the one that I have.

http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Huawei_D100_Router 

Bazza454 - 2009-08-01 9:22 PMPatricia, many thanks.

After checking the CPW website the new 3 router will only work with the latest HUAWEI 3 dongle and not the earlier ZTE 3 model which unfortunately is the one that I have.

Barry - sorry to have raised your hopes like that. Have you tried contacting 3 and asking for an upgraded dongle? Or perhaps the free one advertised would work for you? I am back home off holiday now (thankfully - 3 weeks of wind and rain during which my awning was destoyed totally!) so I will look for the website later which advertisers these free ones. If I can find it I will post again.John - glad that you were successful. Mine arrived very quickly so you might receive it Monday. Let me know how you get on.

Like a lot of others I use the Vodafone dongle yet to be anywhere where I can't get a signal, out of town it's usually only GPRS but as you are only paying for data if you can live with it, it doesn't matter how long a page takes to download.

Some people are reporting different results between T-mobile & 3, for 3G 3 use the T-mobile network.

Patricia - 2009-08-02 11:46 AM
Bazza454 - 2009-08-01 9:22 PM Patricia, many thanks.

Barry - sorry to have raised your hopes like that. Have you tried contacting 3 and asking for an upgraded dongle? Or perhaps the free one advertised would work for you? I am back home off holiday now (thankfully - 3 weeks of wind and rain during which my awning was destoyed totally!) so I will look for the website later which advertisers these free ones. If I can find it I will post again. John - glad that you were successful. Mine arrived very quickly so you might receive it Monday. Let me know how you get on.

Hi Patricia,

Got a good result from "3" today.

They have agreed to supply the new HUAWEI dongle free of charge if I extend my current contract by 18 months at a reduced monthly rate from £10 to £4.81.

They have the "3" router available at £69 but advised me to purchase from CarPhone Warehouse online at £34.25 which I have done and it's been delivered tomorrow.

So, once again many thanks for making us aware of this.

Have had a 'three' donglefor about 18months, and find it generally very good in UK. At home, get HSDPA (East Sussex), and don't think population numbers have much input......any more than they do for Digital TV (which we don't get!)

Initially paid £10 oer month for 1GB, on a 24 month contract,with free dongle,using Three Shop. I have now upgraded to 5GB for £15, and in Cotober will be eligible if offer still on to get 15GB.

However, there has been a problem with the current upgrading, and they cut me off this week, in effect, and it took several days before I got a reply from them, and they apparantly had some tech problems with all those who upgraded on a specific couple of days last month, including me......shame they didn't send me a message saying this had happened.....not good customer service,and very annoying to find no e-mail or internet available.......

I alsowonder when we shall be abletoget one which is 'normal' cost in Europe, or even buy one on a short term or PAYG when in France etc!

Hi everyone found the info on dongles interesting as I have been using a vodaphone dongle for two years now whilst semi full timing. Managed a good signal in the Tarn valley France and was able to download some legal documents last spring. Use it almost every day. £15 contract free dongle. There are problems from time to time but it's easy to uninstall and reinstall and keep track of useage. Flat rate £9.00 per 24 hour use abroad so need to plan which is only critisism. Family have used T mobile 3 and an O2 version but not had the same reliability I have with vodaphone. Not perfect received 7 out of 10 in micro mart test in January as did T mobile.

I really like the idea of pay as you go how and where do you top up when your travelling. :-)

Bazza454 - 2009-08-05 8:31 PMHi Patricia,

Got a good result from "3" today.

They have agreed to supply the new HUAWEI dongle free of charge if I extend my current contract by 18 months at a reduced monthly rate from £10 to £4.81.

They have the "3" router available at £69 but advised me to purchase from CarPhone Warehouse online at £34.25 which I have done and it's been delivered tomorrow.

So, once again many thanks for making us aware of this.

Hi BazzaI've PM'd you about this ... :-D

Guest Tracker

O2 are offering a dongle on payg for 29.35 with a daily charges similar to all the others.

The difference is that this one gives you free wifi access to all of 'The Cloud' and 'BT Openzone' wifi hotspots in the UK.

No European use though as yet?

Any thoughts anyone? Is O2 any good?

Does it work better than 3 or TMobile?

Link - http://shop.o2.co.uk/promo/o2mobilebroadband/tab/Pay_and_Go

I looked at the 02 one be decided the low running costs of the Vodafone one was better for me as we only use CL, CS or Forest sites in UK so never near a BT openzone or Cloud to take advantage of the wifi.

Also with the 02 if you only want to log on for a couple of mins to download email it will cost you £2.00 with Vodafone a penny or two.

Guest Tracker
Good points Lenny - does anyone know the cheapest and/or easiest way of getting hotspot access without paying the hourly or daily rate - short of joining BT Internet - as it never hurts to have more than one source of email access - O2 might even be worth the £29.35 one off payment for that alone!

Guest Tracker

I suppose yer pays yer money and takes yer choice?

Vodafone payg usb dongle for £39 includes 1GB of data with no time limit. Top ups are £15 for 1gb - which makes the dongle itself £24 - but £15 per gb is a bit steep? And no free wifi access!

O2 payg dongle is £29.35 including free unlimited wifi access and 500mb for £2 a day or 1gb for £7.50 per week or 3gb for £15 per month - which is the same as the pay monthly rate but you only need pay for the time you need instead of the fixed term of 18 or 24 months - and 18 months of being tied in is a long time in this ever changing world of mobile broadband!

Having said without joining BT, it is still worth knowing that with with BT Broadband Option 3 (£18.59 for first three months then £24.46) and above you get the free Openzone minutes AND you can also have a dongle that is FREE to use (no monthly fee up to 1Gb) for a one off £9.99 to buy the dongle, so you get the best of all worlds. So actually if you consider the cost of using other providers dongles per month and the cost of fixed line BBand and the Openzone minutes and the free calls plus the second VOIP line it aint that bad a deal!

BT uses the Vodaphone network for mobile so you get one of the best coverages.

Bas

There is a current offer in '3' shops of £15 per month for 5Gb download.... thought as an existing customer,I cannot yet upgrade to it! However, have gone from 1Gb/£10 per month to 5Gb/£15 per month, so getting there gradually!

Their coverage is pretty good I find, although just lately at home I am finding there is a lot of probelms in that it goes down and shows 'limited access' only quite often - fortunately I can link through an unsecured wifi,and that seems Ok as long as I don't want any confidential stuff done.

Archived