Fitting an extra battery

Hairsy

I was thinking of getting a dealer to fit a second leisure battery but having received a quote I'm not thinking that it's worth doing it myself.

The current battery is fitted in a box, suspended below a bench seat storage area. The storage area has plenty of space for another battery but I've read about the need to have proper ventilation for a battery. I've also read things that say that the ventilation is a red herring and there is no significant danger.

I'd also need some sort of box that I could bolt securely to the floor.

Can anyone recommend the best way to secure the second battery and advise on the true need for venting (and best method of achieving it, given that hydrogen is lighter than air and therefore would want to go up rather than down!). If there is a genuine risk then I would want to address it.

Any recommendations of online / mail order suppliers of boxes / fittings would also be great. I would source the batteries themselves locally.

Thank you

Dave

If you use SFL (sealed for life) batteries you shouldn't need either a box or venting.

I have added 2 SFLs to the 'van and to secure them I used some "L" profile aluminium which I screwed to the floor of the 'van around the shape of the batteries base. Before screwing down I captured a strong webbing belt (the rachet tie down ones are best) so that the batteries could be strapped down.

The new batteries are connected to the original with snap on terminals and cut down jump leads.

Things to check: a) Make sure that there is enough strength in the floor position you intend to screw to. b) If you don't use SFLs look at the original battery - has it got a venting tube running from it if so you could tap into that tube with one from the additional battery.

Some folks take all sorts of risks and get away with it - with my luck I don't take the risk of not venting a battery which could be gassing into the 'van. It is often not just gas but vapour containg some acid which can still cause a fair bit of damage.

Archived